Steel Cut Oats-how to prepare

Hi Everyone. I make a breakfast chia/oatmeal but have been using regular oats. I know that they are not raw so I now have some steel cut oats (they’re raw, right?). Now I need to know what to do with them. The package says to cook them – well, no. Do I soak them?

Comments

• I don’t want this post to leave as I haven’t received an answer yet. So, I’m just updating it. :)

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey Karuna, the steel cut oats are not considered raw. You would want to get oat groats (which should sprout after soaking them) or raw oat flakes. If you cannot find the groats at your local health food store, you can get them online. Here is a link for oat flakes that are supposed to be raw: http://www.alissacohen.com/shop/Really-Raw-Orga….

If you use the oat groats, you need to soak them for 12-24 hours (rinsing twice a day) before using them. Once soaked, you can blend them in the blender of process them in the food processor with water, and if you choose, any of the following (or anything else you would like): soaked raisins, cinnamon, agave, vanilla. Hope this helps.

• I’ve been experimenting with raw for about six months. Oats have been one of my staples in the morning before I head to the gym for a few hours.

I believe the rawest form you can purchase are unhulled oat groats. They are not steel cut, which I assume are not raw because they are processed…..to be steel cut. I’m not even sure unhulled oat groats are truly raw. I’ve never found a package at the health food store that is labeled raw. However, all the raw preparation books I have suggest using unhulled oat groats.

If you would like to try the steel cut oats you have raw, soak them over night then put them in the food processor in the morning with some agave,banana, berries….what ever you want. I’ve also used apples and cinnamon. Or…after soaking, strain them out using a colander then mix with a few nuts and raisins…or whatever, your choice. I must warn you, they are very tough to chew if you do not run them through the food processor.

If you decide to cook them, put 1 cup oats with 4.5 cups water on the stove. Cook 30-40 min on med to low heat.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I get mine from Natural Zing… here is the link. http://www.naturalzing.com/catalog/product_info…

Here is what their website says: Organic Oats (Raw fresh rolled)

100% Organic Fresh rolled oats. These oats are cold rolled in small batches using special equipment to retain nutrients and flavor. Ingredients:Organic Oats. Product of Canada.

Cheers, Kristen Suzanne

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

My Dad makes steel cut oats for breakfast often. He soaks them overnight so that they soften up and cooking time is faster. I would guess you could simply blend them up and eat them uncooked, although raw they aren’t. I still think they’re less processed than regular oats.

• Thanks everyone. I will experiment with them. I’m disappointed that they’re not raw – I really thought I was choosing the good stuff. ;) Have a great day.