Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I had no idea!!

Children are dying so people can “play”???

Please read – I’m sure many of you already know this information…. Now that I know this, my knowledge begs for responsibility on my part. We’ve never owned these gaming systems and I’m still using a 3 year old cell phone with no plans on replacing it…

I’m broken hearted.

http://ps3.kombo.com/article.php?artid=7370

http://www.kqed.org/quest/blog/tag/coltan/

Comments

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

If this was posted in any other forum topic, I’d wholeheartedly agree with you. That’s why we created this forum topic (Other Stuff) in a recognition that, as raw vegans, we have a lot more on our minds than what we _un_cook each day. Take a look – you’ll see all sorts of links to random videos, cute tidbits, etc. in this this section!

Edit: the comment I was responding to was deleted, but I thought I’d leave this up anyhow.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Ugghh. I’d never heard of this either, it’s important to spread the word, thanks for sharing it, need to go watch my lion video now…

• kandace – i had to re-read your comment several times before i figured out what you meant as it made no sense to me at first. Apparently, you have moderated something I was not supposed to see. ; ) Thanks for keeping this a lovely, safe place where all can show grace for one another and their journey.

amysue – yes, lion video, must watch now… while I hug and hold my babies. Also, in following other threads, i must say, i am enjoying ‘getting to know’ you. : )

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Oh, I didn’t delete the comment. I believe the poster did. We rarely ever delete a comment – this is a pretty open forum!

• yes, i assumed the poster deleted it…in response…

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Thank you very much for posting this, mamamilk. I’m going to look for activisim on this subject.

• amysueamysue Raw Newbie

Same here mamamilk!

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

MAMAMILK – WOW. I had no idea. Thanks for the post. This is yet another example of how our lives are intertwined. Every little thing we do impacts so many others.

“Kids in Congo were being sent down mines to die so that kids in Europe and America could kill imaginary aliens in their living rooms”

That is a chilling commentary. If Sony was concerned where this product came from, they would announce that they contractually obligated all their suppliers to pay hefty penalties for past purchases and forgo all future contracts when caught using these sources. Then they would hire and fund a respectable third-party to investigate those sources. If 80% of the coltan is in fact coming out of that region, Sony knows and just doesn’t care. I don’t buy the plausible deniability excuse.

I am having problems with my laptop and need to purchase a new one. Now the thought depresses me.

Here is Another Article where Sony clarifies that it doesn’t know for sure where the coltan originates.

IPhones use coltan too. Blood cell phones’ worsen crisis in the Congo.

• Yup, I deleted my comment after realizing the mistake that i had made. Thank you Kandace for your correction, and my sinceres apologies to Mamamilk for simply not paying attention. I was not hostile at all in my original post and actually commended your point, I just wasnt sure if it was a raw food topic. Kandace graciously pointed out the “other stuff” forum and i quickly deleted it out of respect. I read both links and found the info eye-opening indeed. If you have ever read any of my posts, I am sure you will see my support for everyone involved here and just wasnt paying attention. It won’t happen again. By the way Mamamilk, your posts on fasting have peaked my curiosity and i am thinking about trying one myself.. I have visited most of your links and have found this information as well to be enlightening. So please forgive me for my seemingly boorish post that was really done out of care for the website, just a bit misguided.

• awwww, geespeen – I never saw your post in the first place, anyway. You are a most gracious and honorable person for saying these things, even though you didn’t have to. : ) i’m humbled by it. The wonderful thing about forums like this is that people can throw out ALL their thoughts and feelings – whether in agreeing or disagreeing. There is no judgement or criticism – we can just be real and raw. We all need each other and no one has “it” down. We’re just all learning and growing together. Thanks.