Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Combining foods: Yay or Nay?

I am going 100% raw in a couple days, and I want to make sure that if I’m doing it, I’m doing it right. I would like to know about combining foods, I have noticed that some people here seem to mix all different foods together so it has been making me confused about what I can and cannot combine. What foods/fruits can I combine avocado’s with?

What foods can I combine my greens with?

Pretty much what can or can I not combine? All inputs will be fantastic. Thanks everyone!!

Comments

• The Raw Foods Detox Diet by Natalia Rose does an amazing job of explaining this all in detail. I would highly recommend it. I know she has a website, she may or may not have that information all on there. i would check for you but my net is being super slow! worth taking a look!

• evergreenevergreen Raw Master

hi…there are charts for beginning,intermediate,and advanced food combining at www.trustedhands.com just click(here)

also more info at www.alderbrooke.com (here)

• dorian thanks for the book and the webpage!

evergreen thanks for the web page to get a good food chart. I’ve been needing one.

Everyone is so great it makes me so happy that there are rawdist out there!

• kminty3kminty3 Raw Newbie

while I don’t follow all the food combining rules the one about fruit is a must: you are suppose to only eat fruit alone, on an empty stomach. sometimes I try to eat fruit during the day after having something like salad or a larabar and it just feels bad. granted my digestion is probably slower than most but it bums me out because I really can only eat fruit if I haven’t eaten anything but fruit all day!

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Evergreen, thanks for the web link. I will be rethinking a lot of my eating habits. My favorite smoothie combines bananas, strawberries, spinach, nuts and sprouts. According to the charts on trustedhands.com most of this is bad combining. Sigh . . .

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I don’t worry about food combining and I haven’t ever done it on purpose.

Just going raw alone is a big deal, and for me it was/is important that it is pleasurable for me. If I transitioned without eating raw pizza, raw cakes etc then I wouldn’t have managed to stay raw.

Now I have been raw for over 3 years and over the years my eating has naturally become what people would say was good food combining. It happens on it’s own as your body gets used to being raw and cleanses itself, I dont feel that there is any need to force it by adhereing to strict rules. Some people do have digestion conditions that were caused by SAD eating and other things, those people may have to try the food combining, but if that is not you, then I’d say just enjoy your raw food, explore it all fully and have fun with it. If eating a certain food with another makes you feel bad then don’t do it again, learning to listen to your body and eating intuitively is a great thing to do. Trust your self and your own body.

I just think that quitting cooked food is a hard addiction to break, and without the transition recipes it is extremely hard. Most transtion recipes fall into the category of ‘bad food combining’

The only rule I use is that if it is raw it is OK for me to eat, in any combination or quantity. It is helpful to be aware that most nuts aren’t raw, most oils aren’t raw, and there are other things that people commonly think are raw but are not. So if you have discomfort after eating a salad then a lara bar as kminty3 says, then it could be because the nuts in the lara bar aren’t raw. I have never seen a lara bar that is 100% raw. I have found that people who do food combining successfully have been raw for quite some time anyway.

• Morning_theftMorning_theft Raw Newbie

I don’t follow the ‘rules’ necessarily, but as my diet slowly became simpler I also felt like having less combinations, and feel off as a result of silly ones. Nuts and sweet fruit, while they do taste good together, make me feel ‘yeasty’ and don’t digest great. Nuts generally don’t digest very well- maybe because of not being 100% raw, maybe just because they are not meant to be eaten in large quantities (without mechanical hulling) but they are heavy on my stomach. Combining them with citrus helps with that. I don’t normally have fruit on its own, I have it with a lot of greens, as I find the sugar blow to be softer that way. Having sweet fruit on its own can only work when I’ve been very active, otherwise I just feel sugared out. So in my opinion, greens go with everything, and should be with everything! So I wouldn’t personally combine avocado with anything sweet but it’s considered ok. I just went with my instincts and did whatever felt good until I could find my own patterns. I think everyone should just do that.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Thank you, Zoe and Morning_Theft, for your encouraging words. I haven’t really noticed any combinations that seem to create problems, and I really don’t want this to become too regimented. If something seems to not settle well, I’ll check and see if a combination could be the problem. In the mean time, I think I’ll just relax and enjoy. It has certainly been very enjoyable so far.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don’t worry about combining either. But if I am going to a eat a lot of melon i usually have it alone.