Miso or sea salt substitues??

shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

What do you do when a recipe calls for miso and/or salt and you do not have it???

This cream of zucchini soup calls for miso and salt. I do not have either of it. Just skip it? Also, I do not use miso because its soy. Furthermore, a lot of people can notice when there is not salt in a dish. people are addicted to it… good sea salt does taste good though.

Comments

• rachel_akikorachel_akiko Raw Newbie

I would use avocado and some kind of seaweed like dulse or wakame, unsoaked. seaweed is really salty :)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

I don’t use Braggs or Nama Shoyu, but occasionally i will use some Chick Pea Miso… so, maybe you can sprout some chick pea’s or lentils and use that instead of the miso. I’m pretty sure the miso is in there to thicken up the base of the soup. I hear celery mimicks saltiness – maybe add a stalk or two. I love my sea salt – i stock up on it!!

• shgadwashgadwa Raw Newbie

Is there a recipe for chickpea miso?? Can I make it myself?

• shgadwa, I haven’t found any recipes for chickpea miso, but you can order some here:

http://www.southrivermiso.com/index_steam.html

You can only order certain times of year, but once you get some, it will last for a very long time in the fridge.

I got the link from the rawfreedomcommunity website. And you should know, miso is not technically raw, because the beans are cooked before fermenting. However, because of the fermentation process, there are living enzymes (probiotics) present that do aid in digestion. For that reason, I commonly use miso in my raw lifestyle!

• I have made the cream of zucchini soup (actually I have it for lunch today). I do not have miso and the recipe works just fine without it. If you don’t want the salt – rachel_akiko’s seaweed idea is great. Or just try spicing it up with something more cayenne or turmeric.