Midwifery

Any of you rawies here midwives? I am looking for some advice on planning for school: what program, what school and what I should be doing now to prepare.

I want to be a Nurse Midwife . . . basically getting my Masters in midwifery. I have BS in Biology and want to do either an accelerated RN program then Midwife Masters or an all encompassing program.

Any advice to get me started would help!

Comments

• I am a student midwife, but I am going for a CPM rather than a CNM. Home birth is where my heart is, and it would be much harder to attend home birth in Virginia (and most states) as a CNM. I considered it though because well woman care is awesome, and CNMs do more of that than CPMs. I have worked with both CNM’s and CPM’s. If you are at all interested in being a CPM I can offer some advice. MEAC schools are a good choice if you want a more academic atmosphere rather than apprenticeship, and you will graduate a CPM from them.

One of my teachers is a CPM and she had her BS in biology. It’s a good choice for midwifery, regardless of what route you end up taking.

• not a midwife (but have done some doula work), though have much admiration for them and aspire to be one some day. i’m a homebirth veteran who used CPM’s with my first 2 homebirths, and my 3rd born was unassisted. such an amazing field to be a part of, ladies.