Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Perioral Dermatitis, Help Please

rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

Does anybody have any information/natural solutions for curing Perioral Dermatitis (dermatitis around the mouth and nose region)? All of a sudden I have a tiny red bump rash close to my nose, between my nose and upper lip. The dermatologist wants me to use a cream that has been known to cause cancer! I told her that I did not want to use that, and have started eating lots of greens to clear out anything that might be causing this in my intestines, and you guessed it…she said, “Diet has no influence on dermatitis, they don’t know why it happens, your diet will not influence it at all. In fact, if you weren’t a nursing Mom, I’d put you on a low dose of antibiotics for a month to get rid of it.” ARG! Any suggestions anybody? I did stop using a toothpaste that had tartar control (didn’t even know it had that in it!) but no change. Thank you for your help…

Comments

• Rawmama,

Keep your chin up. I had the same thing pop up, along with some other skin rashes, and all of it’s gone now, thanks to raw. I used to have the same prob with tartar control toothpaste (how long have you been off it?). In the meantime, try putting fresh aloe on it. :)

• rawmamarawmama Raw Newbie

So far I’ve been off of the toothpaste for 3 weeks, it’s weird, I’ve been using that brand for years :(. Is there a natural toothpaste that you’d recommend? Thank you for the idea about the aloe, I’ll give it a try :)

• rawmamma,

I use SunFire salt from www.radicalhealth.com. It’s the best salt I’ve ever found! I just wet my tooth brush and dip it in the salt and brush. I used to use Tom’s natural toothpaste but I didn’t like it. Use salt and water! You also get the benefits of the extremely important minerals from the salt while you brush. I feel that my skin has become even clearer since I have started using it.

Good Luck!

• Hi rawmama,

I just saw this on a site and thought it might help.

Cure #1: Coconut Oil Cures Perioral Dermatitis and Psoriasis 5/19/2007: Janet (rik_kemp@hotmail.com) from Morayfield, Queensland writes: “I have suffered from skin ailments all my life. I had heard about coconut oil but it seemed too simple an idea to really work, and I had tried every remedy, scientific and natural, under the sun and nothing ever worked. So after reading all the latest hype about coconut oil I decided “why not?’ Well, sometimes I wish wasn’t such a sceptic and then I might have tried it years ago. How it works I don’t know but after less than a week of applying it twice a day my rash had cleared up, the redness and itching was gone, and has stayed gone despite the fact that I have stopped using my usual prescription anti-inflammatory cream. The kind I use is the extra virgin pure coconut oil made without chemical processes. I’m now taking it orally too.”

My moms dog has a horrible skin condition and has been on all kinds of medications that haven’t helped. I am going to try this and see if it works. His face was all bloody yesterday and I felt so sorry for him.

Good luck..=)

• Ahhh, coconut oil, so soothing! I love this stuff and have been using it as a lotion on my face and entire body for several months now. It is the best! My face is totally hydrated and smooth! I get compliments all the time and when people ask what I use, they are totally shocked that the only product I use is coconut oil!

I also sometimes put coconut oil in my smoothies. At night I have hot water with honey, coconut oil, lime juice and bee pollen….gives me the sweetest dreams ever :)

Thank you for the sage advice! I did try coconut oil, but did not do it faithfully, but will retry it after I try the aloe, at this point I’d try anything. I don’t like that they are calling it a disease, that freaks me out a little, but I believe that if I could somehow do some juicing, but not enough to hurt our baby, it’d be worth seeing if that would help also. I’ve never had this before, this is a new skin problem for me, that is what makes me wonder what is causing it?

• Hi,

I saw this article and thought it might be something to look into. I am going to supplement my moms dog with zinc containing foods to see if it helps. Veg sources are chick peas, tahini, and pumpkin seeds. Also you could try external zinc oxide if you haven’t already. Also vitamin “a” deficiency could cause similar symptoms. Carrots have it or red peppers. I’m not saying you have a deficiency – just that it might be a possibility. You also may have an absorption problem. If this is the case you could dry yucca root in your dehydrator and then grind it and use it in different foods or drinks.

Dermatitis due to zinc deficiency associated with prolonged malnutrition and total parenteral nutrition

Journal World Journal of Surgery Publisher Springer New York ISSN 0364-2313 (Print) 1432-2323 (Online) Issue Volume 4, Number 6 / November, 1980 DOI 10.1007/BF02393517 Pages 693-698 Subject Collection Medicine SpringerLink Date Thursday, May 11, 2006

Dermatitis due to zinc deficiency associated with prolonged malnutrition and total parenteral nutrition Harold F. Hamit1 , Hamer E. David1 and James C. Stevens1

(1) Department of General Surgery, Charlotte Memorial Hospital and Medical Center, Charlotte, North Carolina, U.S.A.

Abstract Zinc is an essential element in over 70 metalloenzymes that are involved in a wide variety of biochemical reactions and physiological processes such as synthesis of RNA and DNA, the immune response, wound healing, growth and development, utilization of vitamin A, and maintaining the integrity of membranes of cells and organelles. Zinc deficiencies are rare under normal circumstances because the usual diets throughout the world contain ample zinc to meet normal human daily requirements of about 15 mg. Deficiencies of zinc usually result from unusual diets with high cereal content and little or no animal proteins, and are manifested clinically by such disorders as hypogonadal dwarfism, hepatosplenomegaly, anemia teratogenesis, impaired senses of taste and smell, and dermatologic problems, including acrodermatitis enteropathica. We have added 2 case reports to the recently reported cases of acute dermatoses, with lesions resembling those of acrodermatitis enteropathica, associated with total parenteral nutrition and due to zinc deficiency resulting from inadequate intake of zinc and increased excretion of zinc in patients who already may have been depleted from nutritional disturbances that placed them in a catabolic state. Amino acid solutions for total parenteral nutrition, especially the newer crystalline amino acid solutions, contain amounts of zinc that are inadequate for these patients. The acute dermatoses resemble impetigo caused by bacteria, yeast, or fungi, but do not respond to appropriate treatment for these kinds of lesions. They respond readily to parenteral zinc therapy and probably can be prevented by giving adequate zinc parenterally during total parenteral nutrition.

Yucca: The saponins from yucca are the major constituents in the plant. Saponins improve the body’s ability to produce natural cortisone which helps with inflammation, healing and pain. Yucca is traditionally used as a blood purifier, and to cleanse urinary, circulatory and digestive systems. It has log been used to assist with the reduction of pain and inflammation, but also has fat absorbing and cholesterol reducing abilities. Yucca can help promote healthy flora of the intestines, relieve intestinal problems, aid digestion and help the body cleanse and detoxify, particularly by assisting in the removal of putrefactive substances from the gastrointestinal tract and eradication of yeasts in the colon.

Thank you! I am going to start juicing more frequently and will be sure to include anything that could help should this be a deficiency (which is totally possible since I’ve been on the super busy lately and not eating as well as I should)...I just love goneraw.com, everyone has been so genuine and helpful, and I appreciate your suggestions and the time it has taken to write :)

Excellent…there is hope! By the way writeeternity, I wrote to the woman that had the article about the coconut oil and heard from her today…she said it has helped her but she unfortunately has had to start up with her creams and will have a life-long battle with her skin. I believe that diet and the nutrients we can get from the correct plants, juiced or raw or applied to the skin, is the answer, just have to find out which works best :)

Here’s a portion of what she wrote, I might forward her the info from here to see if it could help her too, it’s worth a try, and certainly wouldn’t hurt…

“My skin condition has been very badly diagnosed over the years it has bothered me. At first it was a “heat rash” and some kind, well meaning doctor gave me a ‘drying’ cream which made it MUCH worse and it developed into a lifelong problem. Now ‘they’ call it “atypical proriasis”. The raw, itchy and tender area has now developed an “addiction” for prescription anti-inflammatory creams and yes, I’m afraid I DO have to keep using it now and again, but using the coconut oil helps to increase the time I can go without it and has just helped the abused and thin skin to recover some health. At first I thought it was “THE CURE” I have been searching for, but I don’t think there is one, sorry! BUT, it is the best natural treatment I have used for my skin, and certainly one of the cheapest!!”

• kauaigirlkauaigirl Raw Newbie

I am experiencing this type of rash now too and have run across others with it too….can’t help but wonder if this is yet another type of detox that will eventually resolve itself? I will be checking my toothpaste, though, just to be sure and using fresh aloe in the meantime.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

Enzyme Nutrition by Dr. Edward Howell has a section on raw butter and psoriasis. I don’t know anyone that’s actually tried this, but the book says that raw butter helps. It has something to do with digesting fat (or lack of digesting)... and lipase is concentrated in raw butter. You’ll have to check out the book… but, the patients used 2 pounds of raw butter per week… and got results in 6 weeks. I did a google on this and found something that talks about this book (although, the person that wrote this didn’t know where the source came from – which is page 102 of the book): http://listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?...

I couldn’t get the link to work so put this together:

http:// listserv.icors.org/SCRIPTS/WA-ICORS.EXE?A2=ind0206&L=paleofood&D=0&T=0&P=4502

or Google dr grubb raw butter psoriasis lipase

I have to give you an update…what I did that made the dermatitis go away: In the palm of your hands mix into a watery puddle: 1/2 tsp water 1/4 tsp raw honey few grains of sea salt Now, put this on your dermatitis. I actually put it all over my face for a few hours, then added a little water so it wasn’t too sticky, left if dry and went to bed. The next day the dermatitis was 50% better! I continued to do this, noticing that the honey caused itching on the dermatitis, so watered it down more. All but 1 patch was gone within the first week. The last patch hung around for 1 month then went away. WOOHOO! :) And that includes the redness too. I DO believe it is a zinc deficiency as a few of your wrote, so changed my diet slightly also, but not much, the raw honey really wiped it out in no time :) I’ll read up on that section by Dr. Howell, the more info I have the better I feel equipped should this happen again to myself or somebody I know.

• germin8germin8 Raw Master

I was wondering if raw honey would work! Awesome!

• Hey rawmama :) My boyfriend had atypical psoriasis ALL over his body.. it was actually REALLY disgusting. We tried rubbing papaya on it, because apparently papaya is really good for healing psoriasis. Eventually, he went to a acupuncturist combined with the occassional tanning session and after 6 weeks, it was all gone! I thought that was crazy, and he’s not sure he quite believes it himself…

• Hi Raw Mama! I’m so glad to hear you had success! I read that honey can cure infections in diabetics so they wouldn’t have to have amputations like they do because their wound won’t heal with traditional medical applications.

I am feeling a lot better now that I am trying to eat at least 2 cucumbers a day, and drinking a cup of celery juice, and cabbage juice.

=)

• sophcsophc Raw Newbie

HEllo,

My name is Sophie

I want to share my story with you.. First of all I want to apologize for my English as English is not my original language and in case I make any mistakes please understand this.

I have been suffering from Perioral dermatitis for more than last six months, It started after my GI problems that resolved after one month but after 2 months I started having this red dry rash under my nose on sides and on my chin below the lower lip on both sides, sometimes under my eyes as well. I think I have tried most of the solutions, I have done many types of cleanses, antibiotic therapy, I have taken colloidal silver, I have tried apple cider vinniger. My doctor did IV to cleanse the system, and gave me anti allergy prescription that gave some relief only while taking them. Nothing helped. Colloidal nano silver has helped me just mildly; honey topical application was giving me some relief. Then I just started testing everything on me, because I was so desperate, my face looked awful with no hope of cure. And once I just tried to slice cucumber and place it on my face, the result was awesome, I had immediate relief, the redness reduced and skin was not flaking so much, it started glowing and became hydrated. I added evening primrose oil orally which made a great difference in a positive way; I was taking it 4 to 5 grams a day simultaneously with cucumber masks. however after two weeks still not fully resolved, I added cucumber internally and I ate two to three cucumbers 20- 30 minutes before main meal, and then I was taking whatever my meal was. I had some diet modifications as well according to ayurveda; I avoided heating food and refrigerated food, I ate everything freshly cooked, excluded tomatoes, raw vegetables that are mostly drying and hard to digest, I ate vegetables only cooked and in soups, I ate fruits separately from all the meals, one hour earlier than meal or two hours after it. If you mix fruit with cooked food it causes indigestion. I ate all the grains and I have not excluded any pastry (bread and other flour products), Then I started eating cucumbers, after 4 days of eating cucumbers my dermatitis improved very much, I also started drinking alcohol free hops beer 330ml  at evening which is very cooling, do not mix it with meals, it can impair digestion ( if you try to drink it just make sure it is additive free) . and after total 5 days of cucumber diet and 3 days beer, my dermatitis totally gone. Cucumbers  also helped me with my constipation, that didn’t seem to be a big problem because I was using food in a way to have a laxative effect however I felt that I still had this problem because without laxatives I was constipated .

So this is my story, I hope it helps someone who has similar problem. I am totally grateful to cucumbers, evening primrose oil and hops beer, I feel that they did most of the job.

TammiTrue