Toxic Nylon?

I’ve been using Nylon (pantyhose!) to filter my almond milk. My sister told me that nylon is toxic and that it might be bad to use it for this, Does anyone know anything about that? If its true would boiling it a few times before use help get rid of the chemical it would release?

Comments

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Sorry this website is going a little mad, am having real problems, noooo! – I’ll try to post this again..

I cant answer your question but I bought a piece of unbleached muslin from a local fabric shop as I too had been using nylons until i thought about what might be in it. I dont know but I’m guessing as a man made material it would be hard to ‘wash’ out any nasties as its just like that.

I can recommend the muslin though, it cost me about 50p, much cheaper than a nutmilk bag. Just gathered up into a little net and held over a funnel. I use mine for milk, cheeze, straining juice.. So easy as if you want the strained mush, I use the left over nuts to make cookies, you can just dump it on a plate, if not just open it up and rinse it.

I find it nice and easy!

• kundalalitakundalalita Raw Newbie

thanks! i just went out and got some unbleached muslin, i got a whole yard for about $6. still yet to try it out but it looks great.