Wallet thinner? Helpful tips :)

Hey everyone! I am recently 100% raw! When I was high raw, organic only, ladidada, I realized how much money I was spending on real food! Also, whenever I mentioned how I was eating everyone always made a comment about the amount of money I must have been spending. Well here is what I do to help keep my wallet just as fat (or thin :)) as it was when I was eating SAD:

Bulk buying (i’m sure you know this one). I’m trying at the moment to get some raw locals (that I met online and just talking to people in town) together so we can buy actual raw, organic products offline. This will benefit numerous people, and help you make friends :)

Work for food!! I live in a county with a lot of farms, even good ol’ organic farms! During the week, I work a full time salary paying job. On saturday, I work from 7-12 at an organic farm and don’t get paid cash. I get paid in food. I get enough food that I can eat more than enough vegetables for the week. I actually get so much food that I even give some to my girlfriends mother! This helped me save a lot of money. Besides vegetables, I eat a lot of fruit. The farm I work for (has a farm stand) gives me a discount on any of the products that they bought from other farms and did not grow on site. So this helps me out!

Grow herbs/vegetables: As I mentioned I live in a small county. I have a yard at my house so I grow herbs and vegetables. It’s easy to grow most herbs in my climate, tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, etc. It’s nice to have a lawn with grass, but it is also nice to utilize your space AND GROW FOOD!

While I work for food, grow my own, and buy in bulk I also try to budget. $50 a week for fruit. $100 a month in extra spending money. Nuts, cacao, and whatever else I’m craving

Doing all of this, I actually spend less money/ or the same amount as I did before! It’s amazing how this works! It also feels great because I am being less dependent on these chain stores that rule our people and force them to shop there and forget about the little guys because “its so convenient”. Whatever thats not the point, the point is that we can eat healthy, and not go broke.

For all you city folk who can’t grow/ work on farms: I’m not sure if this will work but it is a thought. It is actually a career I would like to get into (community green houses):

If you live in an apartment building with little back yard, ask your neighbors to start a garden in the yard. Everyone can pitch in, and everyone can enjoy the wonderful organic foods you can grow. It also might help you network, and meet new people

If you don’t have a backyard: Once again, ask your neighbors and see if everyone wants to pitch in (including your landlord!!) and build a garden on the roof of your building. Maybe even get a cheap greenhouse going. This can help you cut costs throughout certain times of the year.

Also, start a garden in your community! Post signs, talk to your congressman, do something! It might help out, and work for the long run!

I am very interested to see what other people out there are doing to save money! What works for you?

Comments

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Hi 20 year old Jason. I am 67. The way I have saved money by being raw is not buying pills for RA and other medical problems, as I once did. You are so lucky to know the truth about our foods and water. You wont have to be concerned about the so called age related problems.

I have also cut back on buying nuts. I am sprouting more legumes and grains. I have also enlarged my garden, and plan on putting in more berries next year. I have also just started buying from Azure. If any one lives on the West Coast and a little bit in the Central States, U.S.A. you may be able to get on their list.This winter I will be growing greens in our basement,under lights.

• Hi beany! That is a great idea! What sort of set up do you have in your basement? And if you don’t mind me asking, how much did it cost. I know grow lights can be very EXPENSIVE, but I guess it can pay off. I love berries myself. I have a lot of wild berries where I live, I would like to plant some but I am moving soon. Thanks for your input!