Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Baby carrots - the hidden story

The article I’m posting is not new, but since I’ve seen a number of recipes with “baby carrots” cropping up here lately, I thought it might be appreciated information.

http://v.mercola.com/blogs/public_blog/hidden-s…

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I’m really surprised people don’t know that baby carrots are just regular carrots that have been shaved down. When I was a kid, everyone knew that, but I guess today folks are pretty innocent. I used to grow true tiny carrots when I was really young; I wish I had a garden again.

Something else I don’t like about these “baby” carrots; they go bad quickly. Once they are peeled and shaved, they tend to ferment very fast, which is disgusting.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Petite carrots are supposed to be just that. Not shaved down regular carrots, but carrots that naturally are much smaller. Our WalMart carries them, and they are sweeter than regular carrots. I use them in my stir fry (will my “un” fry now), and we love them. They come prepackaged.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I guess those were what I was growing as a little kid, then. They were tiny and sweet. Be careful with anything Walmart says, though. I found frozen salmon a couple of years ago at my local Walmart that claimed to be wild caught, but was farmed instead.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Yep, i too get the Petite Baby Carrots from Wal-Mart. My son loves them so i buy them! Plus, they’re cheaper than the “baby carrots” from the other stores. I think they taste better and i like the fact that they dont hurt my son’s teeth! He wants to eat the big carrots, but can’t seem to bit off more than 3 bites from each carrot :)

If I could get them at the farmers market or in the organic section of the major food stores here, I would. I too am leary of food stuffs from WalMart. I buy everything I can from somewhere else, and use WalMart as a last resort. I’m going up to Atlanta this weekend to do some shopping at the farmer’s market and Whole Foods. Maybe they have them.

• ya, my friend who grew up on a farm was telling me about this a few years ago. if we all get ourselves some farmer friends we’d learn a whole lot more about the things we believe about the food industry!

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

hey emtpdmom. You might want to stop by Life Grocery and Café in Marietta, north of Atlanta. They have an organic vegan cafe with a large selection of raw food including salad, living food, and cooked bars, smoothies, fresh juices, entrees, and desserts. They also have a large selection in the grocery with raw products, including super foods, a large selection of raw and organic bulk items, and a large organic produce section. Classes and free lectures are offered on living food, as well. Their website is http://www.lifegrocery.com. Hope you can get by there and enjoy all of the options available for raw food enthusiasts.

RCBAlive, thanks for the information on Life Grocery. I checked their website and it looks interesting. MapQuest says I’m about 85 miles away. I’ll plan a trip up sometime in September. There’s a co-op in Pensacola that I patronize when I’m in town. They have a small deli. I always buy enough stuff for 2 or 3 meals when I’m there. It would be delightful to find such resources and not have to travel 260 miles to get there. Of course, I don’t actually drive to Pensacola just for the food. I have family and a house there, but it’s always nice to drop in at Everman’s.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i hate the way they get all slimey but before i was raw i would eat them just to be able to get at least a serving of veggies in a day. wow, things have changed!

• Look at that label. What does it say? Peeled Baby Carrots? Usually not! Usually it reads: Baby Peeled Carrots. Capiche? It’s a brilliant way to sell the broken pieces and mangled bits! Just shave ‘em down and bag ‘em up!

Remember: no first quality produce is sold prepackaged!