Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

To eat grains, or not to eat grains?

RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

I have been eating raw since 1999 and still have unresolved food issues. I am searching for resolution and ultimately making peace with food and eating.

I would really appreciate any feedback on adding/including soaked/sprouted grains on the raw food diet. To date, I have not included them, but have been considering adding them in an effort to decrease my nut cravings and overeating. I wonder if these grains will provide me with an option that is more satisfying and filling.

Comments

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

the only grains i eat are buckwheat, but they are technically seeds.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

what do you do with the buckwheat bitt? what do you think about sprouted oat groats or quinoa?

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

what about oat groats? Anyone eat those? I used to like these Poptarts on this site a while ago that used almond butter and oat groats. I stopped when I realized that I don’t really need nuts and that almond butter isn’t really raw, but if I get really raw almond butter from this place I know, I might try to make them again oneday.

• I think soaked/sprouted grains can be a great addition to a raw/living diet. I have enjoyed sprouted wheat berries as a cereal with fruit and a little nut milk, with savory herbs and diced vegetables as a salad. Soaked buckwheat with a raw curry sauce is great and soaked oat groats are yummy as a cereal as well. I’ll have to pull out some recipes to share on the site but two sources right off the top of my head are Ani Phyo and Living on Live Food. Enjoy experimenting and let your bodies wisdom be your guide. Best wishes on making peace with food and eating. It’s a dance I share as well, so can empathize!

• I have a mild gluten issue, so I can eat non-cereal grains with no problem. These are buckwheat and quinoa, both sprouted. Since putting cauliflower in the food processor yields something so close to the texture of rice, I don’t miss that anymore.

If you blend soaked walnuts, apples, cardamom and cinnamon with warm water, you get a delicious porridge. I also make a breakfast from soaked walnuts, coconut butter, maca, cinnamon and raisins. “Breads” can be made from all sorts of things in the dehydrator.

Grains can present a problem for some so if you are one of those people, you can certainly use other things. If grains aren’t a problem and you can sprout them, then they are technically raw so why not eat them???

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

remember, you can probably get really raw oats by buying horse oats at your local feed store, try sprouting to make sure they’re raw. this was a suggestion in another forum!

Also – RCBAlive, please tell us what you’ve learned from your 9 years of eating raw! I’m very curious. Do you have any insight? Any raw authors you particularly agree with? How was 100% raw?

• I am sensitive to grains, however I like to soak organic raw oats and blueberries for breakfast about twice a week. I think it all depends on the particular person and how their body reacts to various foods. You could try increasing your raw diet by adding one soaked organic grain at a time, and taking note of how your body reacts.

• Is that just normal buckwheat you’re sprouting? Or is it a different form to the “standard” buckwheat you can get in health food shops?

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I feel much more balanced when I have sprouted grains (wheat, barley, etc.) as a part of my diet. Grains (especially wheat/kamut/spelt) have most of the vitamins & minerals our bodies need, and they have a good amount of protein as well. Each person is different, but if you don’t have any problem digesting grains, they could be a great addition.

FYI about oats: “Raw” oat groats are heated in processing & won’t sprout, but you can order oats for sprouting (not groats) from www.sunorganic.com

• I get hulled Buckwheat groats in a bulk bin at my food co-op. They are right beside the the Kasha, which is toasted buckwheat groats. The raw ones have a greenish look to them, the toasted ones are brown. The HULLED part is important, as the hull is a total pain to remove after you sprout them.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Someone mentioned you can buy horse feed oats from your local feed store. Try sprouting them – most of them are raw! And sooo cheap.

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

No no! do not buy horse oats for human consumption…the mills are not kept up for human grade consumption you are liable to get a mold spore or some kind of inorganic, pestiside ridden chaff…If you want good raw oats and dont want to pay the price on a raw website buy organic bird oat groats through a bird store…pestiside free gauranteed… sorry Winona , but having horses I know what the quality of their cereals are, its why i dont feed mine much more than a handful with their vitamins.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I like Sprouted Kamut to replace corn. Quinoa is good sprouted if you don’t mind the flavor. Be sure to get the light seeds not the dark. Oat groats sprouted are great for morning. Alissa Cohen’s book has recipes for sprouted barley and rye, and like most, I suggest buckwheat, too.

By the way, I get oat groats by the 20 lb. sack and they sprout.

• debbietookdebbietook Raw Master

It’s so refreshing to read a thread full of positive statements about (raw, sprouted) grains.

If anyone would like a little further info on the benefits of raw, sprouted grain (wheat in particular) and how we shouldn’t be blaming raw grain for all the failings of its cooked counterpart, see my article at:

http://debbietookrawforlife.blogspot.com/2008/0…

• omshantiomshanti Raw Newbie

angie i saw you mentioned barley, ive been soaking it and eatin it like old fashioned oat meal and adding it to salads…YUM!!!! i found my barley through my bird store but will check on the quality and rawness at my local henrys whole foods store too….. my keet and chickens love it too!!!!