Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

I need some advice if anyone has the time...

So…my best friend and sidekick just came for a visit from California. She’s pretty much anti-vegetarian so obviously raw vegan is out of the question. Still, I eat what I want and all, but we had so much fun running around eating junk when we were little, that now that’s what I want to do again. I’ve eaten a few cooked dishes and my stomach has bloated and fattened eight-fold…NO joke. I can’t seem to stop eating everything in sight…what to do?!

I’m fine with staying raw with her, but how do I get back?

Comments

• it sounds like you’re having will power trouble??? I don’t know. I know for me, once I have 1 thing cooked, I start craving it again. I’m kind of an all or nothing gal I guess. From your post it seems like you are settling back into your old habits together, even though you don’t feel good about it. I agree with Karuna, find something else that you can enjoy together.

Make some yummy and decadent Raw cacao treats and desserts to share together. good luck

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

I see a lot of people thinking they have to eat the same as their friends. If you step back and think about it, it’s rather weird. Everybody’s body is different and you have to listen to it. I had the opposite recently. My mom wanted to only serve raw food while I was around and i said that wasn’t a good idea for everyone, that they should have some raw but going raw overnight might be too much for them. We have to take care of our own needs first. And yes, if you explain it to her, she will get it. I had a friend who I thought would NEVER understand, understand when i explained it outright to her.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Tell your friend you had fun being a child for awhile, now you have to get back to eating like you need to. You have let Pandora out, so you have to put here back where she belongs. Make a decision to do it than stick with that decision.

• I agree with beany. Maybe it’s time to find some other things that you enjoy doing together – biking, skydiving, shopping, spa day, canoeing, oh the list is endless. I’m sure that if you talk to her, you guys will figure something out. Peace, Karuna

• Best friends should want the best for you. I’m sure she’ll understand that your health is top priority these days. Just like karuna said, find some other exciting activities to do!

Don’t forget, you can always go out to eat! I always order a salad, with no blanched/cooked foods and no dressing. I also sneak in some of my homemade salad dressings and usually a mix of some raw nuts. I usually like hemp and pine nuts.

That way, you don’t have to be a burden on people! Kind of funny, isn’t it? That we’re the burden; Just because we’re trying to eat the way I believe we should! It makes me chuckle..

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

I agree w/ TreeOfLife – a friend should want what is best for you. Even if they think it is funny at first, upon learning everything that your diet has “cured” for you and how great you feel, they should understand why you want to keep eating the way you do. You eating cooked is equivalent to your friend eating raw – it’s not what you do and it makes you feel bad. She will understand, even if she is anti-vegetarian. Any raw place where you could eat w/ her just to try?

• Thank you guys so much. Littlygems – I’m supposing you’re about right. I have settled back into the cooked food catergory, though I’m fighting it as much as I can. Seems I lost the drive to eat raw once she showed up. Funny thing, I have backwheaties dehydrating for cereal or whatever else I decide to do with them, cut fruits, raw ketchup and jicama fries (my fav), raw applesauce from my trees, raspberries and strawberries and everything else you could think of from my garden. But I STILL eat the Soy Dream…WHY? Arg. I don’t know what happened to everything…I’ve DEFINATELY gained a lot of weight though.

This morning I had a grapefruit and raw banana ice cream…hopefully it’ll stay that way.

But thank you guys for the advice. I gotta step it up. Maybe this is the BIG challenge that I have to get over before I can go 100%, eh? To prove that this is the life-style for me. Oh, I love thinking possitive.

Btw, since I’ve been eating cooked foods, I don’t see a joy in life any more. It’s no fun, I don’t want to do anything but sit in front of the television cause I feel so heavy. I fight with my parents WAY more than I used to, and I’m MUCH more annoyed…like when I was before discovering raw…

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I fight with my parents too, before AND after going raw. hehehe. wow you have so many delicious things! i watch jicama fries now, you temptress.

• Lovin’ My Sunshine -

This will sound very simple but it worked (and continues to work for me to this day as I used to eat TERRIBLY). Every time I think about a food that my subconscious tells me I want but that I ‘know’ is poison I will immediately go outside and start walking in the sun. Moments later that craving is gone. You should try it. It really does work. Being at work isn’t as much of a burden considering my mind was always occupied leaving little time to think about bad food. I wish you the best. =)

Dave