Poop Question

OK, so sorry about this, but who else am I going to ask?

I am pooping ALL THE TIME (I’m in Week 3 of 100% Raw, coming off a vegan cooked diet for 12 years). And it’s very sticky and, if you get my meaning, takes forEVER to “get out.” Is this a detox thing? Should I stop eating and do a colon cleanse or something? What is UP?!

Thank you for your wise tidbits!!

Comments

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

I had problems for a looooong time! Terminal runs for months, longer than anyone I know who is a raw eater. Then again, I was also weaning from some nasty medications, and I had years of being an unhealthy cooked vegetarian behind me along with disordered eating(i.e., starving). Heh heh. Your body is going to pump out excess grastro intestinal fluids for a while, anticipating a cooked meal. It takes a while for it to learn to put out more appropriate levels. So your gut lining is going to be irritated in the meantime.

What is your daily menu like? If we have an idea of what you are eating now, maybe we can give better advise. For example, I had to back off of most brassicaceae veggies because sulphur and I have never gotten along. Also, I have to be careful of too much celulose, although I do great with water soluble fiber. I think everyone is different.

• BeTheChangeBeTheChange Raw Newbie

what is cellulose? and when do you know you’re getting too much of it?

• Wow Tom’s Mom! Thanks! I feel better already. For breakfast, I usually have (presoaked) raw oat groat with some fruit and buckwheat crunchies (from Ani Phyo’s book). Lunch is usually an avacado with sprouted corn tortillas or Ani’s Black Sesame Sunflower bread and some D’d snacks (nori snacks, kale chips, etc.) Or a salad. Dinner is a green smoothie with some sort of squash and sauce (raw noodles & tomato sauce!) Does that help? BTW, this came on 2 days ago. Thank you thank you for your thoughts!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

For me that was an earlier process, but i likened it to scouring my intestines out. Allow yourself an extra 15 minutes in the morning and you’ll feel great when it all passes. Lots of water first thing in the am to hasten that process. i don’t think you NEED to do a colon cleanse. It’s already happening. If it was debilitating and impeding your ability to work/function through the day, i’d say go speed it up w/ a colonic. Think of all that’s leaving you!

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I always start my day with a glass of water and the juice of a whole lemon. I’ve read a few different sources that say this is a great way to cleanse your colon in the morning.

• I had this problem too until I upped my fluid intake and starting eating more fat too…mostly coconut oil. This seemed to lubricate everything. (For lack of a better word!) Now I feel great:)

• THANK YOU for bringing this up!I’ve been mostly raw for nearly 2 years now and every time I go to %100 i’ve had the same problem and end up sliding back to a little bit of cooked food just to slow down.Especially if I double up on green smoothies which I love when I’m too busy to prepare a full blown meal.I was wondering if any of the long term raw people out there experienced the same and leveled out eventually.Please keep shouting out it helps a lot to hear this!

• Thanks everyone! I will try more water in the morning, although in general I drink a TON of water. I’ve moved from “sticky” to “farty.” Lordy!!! My poor family. I’ll report back tomorrow!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Cashews=farts, big time. Even the dogs leave!!! Ha!