dry hair

I guess I can use coconut oil to deep condition my hair? For how long though? Does it wash out easily?

Comments

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

I wouldn’t think the oil would wash out easily. I would only put it on the ends and leave it in. I actually put it on my ends and sometimes a dab throughout, but since I don’t poo, I don’t go heavy handed. You’ve be surprised how soft lemon makes your hair. One lemon diluted in a half cup of water. ACV also works great. You should really ask Queenfluff!

• I feel it honestly depends on your hair. If your hair is thin to moderate and straight, I would suggest leaving the coconut oil in (only on the ends as Carmentina suggests) for a couple hours before you shampoo.

If your hair is curly/wavy and thick you can afford to leave it on longer (I even have heard of people keeping it on overnight). You also might want to cut down on your shampooing – maybe condition every time you “wash” your hair and shampoo and condition every other time.

If your hair is extremely curly (tight spiral curls) or kinky (African American hair) you can use the oil (moderately) as a styling aide. You can even whip it up with natural shea butter and use it as a leave in conditioner (type in “whipped shea butter” in you tube).

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

my hair was always sooooo dry, and I conditioned after each wash. When it got too dry, i cut it short. After that stopped using conditioner. It’s long again, still don’t need conditioner, and it’s no longer dry. I am convinced that conditioner weakened my hair, an became dependent on it to the point if i didn’t use it, couldn’t dare get a brush through.

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Yes, you can use coconut oil. There is avocado and banana that works great. Once I put a whole avocado in my great and it worked great except since I don’t shampoo, it was too concentrated and took several days to diminish from my hair. Same deal with the coconut oil – use too much and it will take a while to get out of your hair.

That is if you don’t shampoo – if you use shampoo to remove it, keep in mind that you are sort of killing the benefit of it. You are just restripping the hair again when you remove it with shampoo.

You put the coconut oil in over night and let it sit and your hair will be easy to comb through in the morning.

I use it by “scrunching” a small amount into my dry areas only at night and when I get up in the morning I can either just comb through it and my hair will be soft and smooth or if I do my water rinse, it won’t all rinse out so I will still have some softeness in my hair.

The whole concept of “deep conditioning” is really sort of contradiction in a way. The hair that you see is dead – it can’t really be changed – if it is damaged, you will need to cut it off. You can use things to make it “feel” and “look” better like coconut oil but these things are really temporary – they can’t really permanently change your hair. It is like all those advertisements for conditioners that “strengthen” the hair – they don’t really “strengthen” it – not internally – they coat your hair with waxes, silicon and other chemical to make it seem “stronger, smoother.” Alot of times these don’t get removed all the way by shampoos so the effects last awhile but you end up with artifical buildup on your hair.

chicory – if your hair was dry after conditioning, I am pretty sure if you check the ingredients some sort of alcohol would be at the top of the list. Commerical conditioners are pretty much all chemical – even some of the natural ones.

I hope that gives you an understanding of what “deep conditioners” really are. But I am for using coconut oil and other natural things on the hair to get some softeness. Of course, the hair can not be permanently changed if it is really damaged but it can help it to temporarily be soften and look better.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

thanks! I cut a lot of it off. It got dry from sun and salt water. Im going to try putting a few dabs of coconut oil in it as needs be. I try not to wash my hair (like one every 2 weeks), but I work in a smoke-filled environment and as a non-smoker I hate when my hair stinks.

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

I use Terressentials Mud and it’s terrific. There are no chemicals. Read more about it here:

http://www.terressentials.com/hairhelp.html

Occasionally, I use coconut oil in my hair or Terressentials amazing fragrance-free moisture cream (just a dab).

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

• try washing your hair only once a week. the natural oils are really good for your hair. i use terressentials too and i love it, apart from the static. i can't seem to get rid of the static. i know it's one of the detox symptoms so i've been putting up with it but i've been using it for more than a month and it hasn't gone away yet. besides that it has made my hair so thick and shiny. kristen, have you had any problems with terressentials?

• This is great info...My hair gets easily weighed down,but I'll try this tonight.

• My hair loves organic coconut oil.My fav is tropical traditions!!!!!!!! It made my hair so soft. I can't go more than

two or three days without a hair wash.After 2,I have to wash my bangs.

I wish I new this secret sooner! (only tried w/in the last year) Hairstyles turn out so much better!!!! I wash always so paranoid when it came to always

washing my hair.I'd always wash it everyday.What a waste of time.

But 1 or 2 weeks? How? Why?

• ZemphiraZemphira Raw Newbie

I can't believe West Virginia has a store that carries Terresentials, but no stores in Seattle carry it. Sorry, just had to whine about that, that is all, nothing further to see here, carry on.