Going camping...

springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Hi Everyone, I’m off on holiday next week and I’m going camping. I love camping and getting back to nature. I go to a very small campsite with a stream running through the middle of it! However when I go camping I will have no electricity and very little kitchen equipment (think – knife and chopping board) Does anyone have any helpfull suggestions to keep me as raw as poss when I’m away from home? I would be really grateful for any suggestions…

Comments

• my suggestion would be that leading up to the trip your dehydrator should be running constantly. getting fruits, crackers and breads ready. also can make different granola variations to bring along.

happy camping. where you off to?

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Hi, Last time My husband and I went camping I made up some green smoothies ahead of time and kept them in the cooler in water bottles. They were not immediately “fresh” but they were good and the flavors blended really well. That made breakfast really easy, just go to the cooler and grab one out. and off you go to what ever you want.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Thank you, good plans, unfortunatly I do not have a dehydrator, boo hoo :-( but we are going to get a cooler box and ice packs to take with us, so I can do some smoothies and green juices in advance. We are going to Wales in the UK, lovely big hills, forests, streams, green grassy fields. We are going to do mountain biking and walks in the hills and by the sea, might swim in the sea but it is quite cold in the uk at the moment.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

Last time I went camping, I craved fresh produce. I brought a huge bag of oranges, bell peppers, cucumbers, apples, etc. You can bring cut carrots, celery. Uncut produce will last several days without refrigeration. Enjoy your trip!

• I go camping often and here are some of the things that make it easy:

Prep salad dressing and fixings ahead and eat salad for at least one meal per day.

Sprout in camp. Then you can have fresh-grown produce.

If you’re up for adventure, gather wild foods (takes some knowledge ahead of time).

Get a cheap hand-held babyfood grinder so you can make pureed fruit and soft veges. Take a peeler to make “noodle” strips out of veges.

You can make up “sauces”, such as pesto or cashew alfredo, ahead of time and take with to use on “noodle” vege strips or sprouted quinoa or buckwheat.

Green powders make green smoothies possible in the wilds. Chia seeds and pureed fruits and water make awesome puddings for breakfast or dessert.

Try to recall old outdoor classics like celery or bananas or apples with nut butters and maybe even raisins.

Take a bit of nut butter, add water and shake for a quickie nut mylk substitute. You can mix in a sweetner, cacao powder and maybe some coconut oil for a yummy “chocolate mylk” beverage.

Also, remember that you are in nature to enjoy the beauty of simplicity and that eating very simply can be part of that experience. Several small monomeals can be quick and satisfying.

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Thank you everyone, suggestions taken on board! Am off tomorrow morning and looking forward to it now!!

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

last time I went, we made indian crepes and packed the fillings in separate containers and ate like kings or should I say Maharajis!

http://goneraw.com/recipes/3682-Indian-Crepes-o…

The filling is raw mayonnaise or sour cream, green apples, cucumber, tomato and basil.

I know you are off tomorrow but still, someone else reading might like to take them camping with them.