Need good recipes/90% SAD party

Hey everyone! My vegan girlfriend is going off to college in a week (i don’t know what I’ll do) and on Sunday is having a going away party. I was wondering if people had ideas for food. I was thinking of making a large dish of nutballs, lasagna, zuccini maranara, just because it is pretty simple. I was also thinking of some dips, and maybe some stuffed mushroom caps.I figured I can have a meal, have some left over so people can snack on it, and I could make au’dorvs that I could eat along with the SAD member of the party

My main probably is trying to please people. I’m worried about getting flak of how can I eat raw, that it must be boring, so I figured I should make some RAW Dishes for a SAD World. It’s something I need to work on, I am my ownself and I shouldn’t have to worry about others. I just want people to know how great raw food is, maybe it might make them think twice about there diet.

So any help will be great. Thanks people

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I always make Kandace’s German Coleslaw (recipe on this site) and take it to BBQs and cookouts. It is well received by everyone. Nobody considered it food from another planet either.

Interestingly enough, my sissy, a conventional doctor and SAD eater, raved about how much better she felt the next day after eating a big bowl of it. She has digestion issues. Anyway, she requires me to make it every time I go see her. I use more red cabbage than green and it is an attractive dish.

• That sounds like a great idea! I think I will have to do that. Thanks Meditating!

• You could make some sushi… They have a nice presentation and they’re very yummy…Or even wraps, with collard greens or lettuce.. I’ve also made the Broscht recipe from Juliano’s book for SAD eaters and they loved it… Desserts are also easy.. Renee Underkoffler has good pie recipes..

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

You have to make the Rawcaroni Salad and the Asian Almond Slaw – both are sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo good and depending on the party, great for a BBQ! No one knows this is all raw!!!! A decent dessert is always the Chocolate Pudding (raw carob or cacao, an avacado, some agave and a little water).... hope this helps!!!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

Those are all great ideas, but I especially second carrie6292’s Chocolate Pudding suggestion for dessert.
    If you make a nut-crust, pour the pudding into it, chill it, and serve it as a pie none of your SAD friends will complain. I’ve made it for the fussiest people I know and every one of them was psyched.
    Good luck & Have fun!

Which chocolate pudding is that? I need to make something for my nieces and nephews this weekend and this might work.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Make the veggie chili recipe – aside from that the chunks in the chili are onions, peppers, and avocado, I would think it would be very SAD friendly and extremely vegetarian friendly. I like it a lot. I think the key to satisfying or at least opening the eyes of SAD people is flavor – they are used to getting strong flavor, so give them something with spice.

• There is another recipe that somebody made for me once that I absolutely looooved!! You can’t tell it’s raw at all: Snow Balls

Ingredients 2 cups raw coconut oil 4 cups grated coconut 2 cups cashews, soaked overnight and drained 2 cups pitted dates, soaked

In a food processor chop the cashews into very small pieces and pour into a bowl. Blend dates to a paste. Mix date paste with the cashews, 2 cups of grated coconut, and coconut oil. Place mixture in the refrigerator to harden. Form balls and roll on the rest of the coconut. Keep them refrigerated or frozen until served.
  • Thanks everyone! A chilli would be great, I am definately doing that! Also desert sounds like an awesome idea! My mouth probably will water when everyone is eating the cake. Holidays and parties are always a time I indulge in “junk” foods. Ha. I think it’s funny that I’m calling bad food combining junk foods. It’s amazing how ones mind can change so much in such little time!

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

lol treeoflife I know exactly what you mean.

Shredded beef nashos were junk food in February – as were cheesesteaks and sausage egg and cheese sandwiches – now it is a 100% raw pie or a larabar because of bad food combo, or a raw poptart that uses pasteurized almond butter…

“junk food” lol…things do change

Seems like you stteled with chili. The veggie chili recipe on gone raw is highly rated on here – was in the top 5 for a while (maybe still is)- everyone loves it

Just to share the upside to being raw and getting invited to a cookout:

I had a friend call and invite me to a cookout this weekend. He knows I try to eat organic and high raw not all raw. With the invitation, I was asked what they could fix for me, which included their suggestion of pineapple, peppers, mushrooms, etc kabobs, lightly grilled.

This individual is a business contact and friend. I meet him and his assistant for lunch regularly and I never eat unless I can get a salad with real greens (not iceburg) and I just squeeze fresh lemon over it. When I don’t eat with them I don’t make a big deal about it and tell them it happens all the time and I am completely comfortable talking while they eat. I have carted in a green smoothie on occasion.

This seemed like an unusual turn of events given how many times raw foodies here have expressed feeling left out of meal planning and/or persecuted when explaining their dietary preferences. I had someone call and request how to best accommodate me. I thought it was a very thoughtful gesture and now I get the special meal. Yeah for me.

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

One thing that you could make is a peach cobbler. Peaches are in season now and the cobbler crust (made with pumpkin seeds, almonds, dates, and see salt, that’s all!) is so good. And- you can’t even tell that it’s raw.

Another idea that I had is that if you have a dehydrator you could make some corn chips and then make a fresh salsa to go with it. yum.

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Sorry for not responding sooner – the chocolate pudding is soooooooooo easy!

1 avacado (or 2 if you want to make a lot!)... Agave or Dates, whatever you use as a sweetner Carob or Cacao Water Blend together and add water as needed. TAste and add more of what you need. There are recipes on this site that have down measurements, but i never measured. If you don’t have a vitamix or a blendtec, i’d suggest cutting up your Dates into small pieces before trying to blend with everything else. Don’t be shy with the carob or cacao… Yummy!!!!