Chia vs. Flaxseed

I cannot eat flax, for some reason every recipe I’ve tried with a lot of flax in it I can’t eat (and I can’t stand to waste food). The most I can tolerate is a recipe called for 1/4 cup. I love the binding properties, like for a raw bread, and so many raw recipes include flax, and it seems like it’ll be good… but then I make it and I can’t eat it!

So now that I’ve just tried Chia, I’m in love. Seriously, I’m so excited about it, and plan to use it quite a bit. But I’m not sure about ratios. Has anyone substituted Chia for flax in a recipe, and can tell me the proportions of the exchange?

thanks!

Comments

• I have trouble with too much flax as well. Like you, I find Chia to be wonderful! The only drawback is the cost. I bought 20 lbs. to save as much as I could, but flax is dirt cheap in comparison.

I haven’t done a sub of chia for flax. I’m thinking 1 to 1 or maybe you can cut back on the chia a bit? I think you could do an experiment with 1/4 cup flax to 1/2 cup water and the same with chia, and see how much you get of each after 30 minutes.

You could give the flax to someone else and add pureed berries, lemon juice and agave to the chia for a lovely berry lemonaid pudding treat!!! That way you won’t waste anything.