Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

VitaMix blenders... worth it?

2»

Comments

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

:-). Sounds good. I forgot that it comes with two carafe so that will be fine. I still probably would get the blendtec, but the vitamix doesn’t seem like too much of a stretch to get the peace of mind of BPA freeness. By the way, anyone looking for a good deal should check out www.2-life.com – vitamix at a blendtec price. I think the sale ends today but from what I’ve read in other threads, they have sales often enough.

• thecavsmanthecavsman Raw Newbie

Any other ideas anyone? I’m just trying to make a decision. Any BPA news?

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I actually read quite a bit about the BPA issue when concerned with my nalgenes a couple years back. I tracked down actual scientific papers and citations in several european countries where health regulations are more strict, and there was a specific german study that showed that even when microwaving lexan baby bottles, the plastics were not leaching measurable BPAs into the food.

Since most of the breakdown of the polycarbonate has been a result of high temp dishwashing and harsh detergents, just keep the pitcher out of the dishwasher and you’ll probably fine. Also, the food doesn’t stay in the pitcher for very long.

I was so worried about the BPA issue that I set aside 8 1 liter nalgene bottles and bought 6 40oz stainless steel klean kanteens, and this was while I was a starving graduate student and couldn’t really afford it. Now I feel comfortable enough to use the lexan again after doing all that reading.

If I can find it I’ll post the source of that german study.

• I was also concerned but I have a good friend here in Brussels who works for the European plastic industry association, so I asked her to find out the truth (not the official version). She got back with the same info as stevio, normal blending won’t cause leakage, high temp, leaving food in it and detergents do.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Stevio, this is very interesting information. VitaMix does NOT recommend that you wash the carafe in the dishwasher. Hummmmmm!