Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

FDA Unleashes Radiation on Spinach, Lettuce; FDA Plots to Sicken Consumers with Malnutrition

13»

Comments

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Got Fresh Spinach? Lettuce? Think again! September 5th, 2008 by The Cornucopia Institute

Radiation Treatment Lowers Nutrition and Raises Spoilage Issues

The Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on August 22, published a new federal regulation permitting – but not requiring – the use of ionizing irradiation for the control of food-borne pathogens and extension of shelf life in fresh iceberg lettuce and fresh spinach.

In plain English this means that these greens, when conventionally grown, may now be zapped with high-energy Gamma rays, or electron beams (the same technology as x-rays only much more powerful). Scientific literature suggests that irradiation destroys valuable nutrients, weaken cellular structure, and leaves foods even more susceptible to spoilage. It may also, in some food cases, create dangerous chemical byproducts.

Take Action: There is a thirty day period (expiring on Monday September 22) for the filing of objections with the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to their irradiation rule. Unfortunately the FDA no longer accepts regular e-mails. Instead, you may:

• send a fax to 301-827-6870 • send mail or hand delivery to: Division of Dockets Management (HFA-305), Food and Drug Administration, 5630 Fishers Lane, Room 1061, Rockville, MD 20852.

Be sure to reference Docket No. FDA-1999-F-2405 in any communications.

• All I was saying is that if you read a couple of the posts before my last post, a lot of it was scaring people into thinking ALL spinach is bad, which it isnt ;)

I do admit that the declining awareness and apathy of what is happening to our food is a major cause of fear. I also believe the FDA cant be trusted but in any argument you need to be able to see both sides, thats what I was trying to do. shrugs

• DreaDrea Raw Master

In history there are allot of things that start of as a suggestion, option, and so-forth, but end up being a demand in the end.

Allot of times a company will “test the water” to see how the public will respond and so-on before launching it in full swing. This goes for our government and FDA as well.

Fight the problem while it is small, nip it in the bud, before it takes a ton more energy to reverse it! Large companies project goals 50 years down the line, if something is introduced to the people in a slow and steady manner it will be more readily accepted by the majority. It takes the shock value away.

A couple of threads before this one I posted a fax number and an address to respond to this topic, PLEASE, let’s do that together as 1 very loud voice!

• Thanks for making it a bit more clear dreasraw :)

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

well, there is just as much harm in lies and exageration without providing total knowledge, as there is in not saying anything. I have issues with that green article. I still do. I stand by what I said in my first post. When someone spreads an untruth, mingle with fact, it gives these monster corporations leeway. It helps them. It’s what they are looking for. Now they can address the more ludricous claims and make themselves look great, and the true dangers are buried.

Furthermore, it is wrong to tell someone who wants the truth to be quiet. Some of you folks are feeding right into what the FDA wants.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Holy heads of lettuce, Batman! My salad suddenly tastes so delightfully Orwellian.

1984 scared the living shit out of me when I read it in high school and changed the entire way I think about the world and the government.The Matrix just reinforced that when I saw it in college. And now here we are, and it’s all slowly coming true.

This is f&cked up! We need to do something. I’ve felt we’re on the verge of some serious shit going down for a few years now like some of you. My feelings are only reinforced daily w/this kind of stuff.

• If it is true that “you are what you eat” as I believe it is, then logic suggests that by altering the food supply you alter yourself, your well being, your thoughts and so on. This is the reason why I get very upset when governments (as if we had not enough issues with food quality today) keeps on introducing new ways to alter our foods. Nature (or God if you prefer) gave us all we needed in terms of quality and variety and I see no reasons of altering it that would benefit us human beings.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

It is Very Easy to Grow Spinach in a container... I Suggest You Seek Out Red-Stemmed Malabar Spinach

• Oooh, that IS pretty.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing Raw Orleans.

• Raw_OrleansRaw_Orleans Raw Newbie

I also Grow an Italian Kale called Black Tree Kale that you can Grow in a Large Container... The Leaves get like 24" long and it is a leafy Type. You should pick the leaves as needed from the Inside of the Plant and it will Grow Wide... From the Outside and The Plant Grows Tall and Skinny... Great taste and Loved in Italy...