Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Frustrated- Difficult Menstrution

Comments

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

Marichiesa, you could be allergic to cashews, many people are. In their raw form, they contain the same oil (urishiol) as is found in poison ivy. They make my mouth and throat swell up too—so do mangoes, although not as bad.

• So I started taking the Vitalzym a few days ago along with the Reishi and Vitex tinctures.

Any advice about dosage and how long it’ll take to see effects?

Ive been monitoring and noting how I feel @ my period, so next month I hope to see a difference. Positive thinking has a huge impact on our health, so why not? :) But Im prepared to give it a good 6 months.

• Hi Ceasarea, I was taking 20 Vitalzym capsules a day, divided into two doses. One first thing in the morning and the other in the afternoon. I took it on an empty stomach and waited around 45 minutes before eating or drinking anything. After taking such a high dose for around 2 months, I lowered it to around 12 capsules a day. By the way, one of the first benefits I had (within the first day or two!) was improved digestion and zero heartburn and indigestion. And this may be TMI, but I stopped having messy stools and they became more formed and easy to clean up after. Let us know how you feel on the enzymes…I hope it helps you!

• Amygdala, Im just taking 3 a day. I noticed the same thing though, wonderful digestion and elimination :) lol.

• Hi Ceasarea. Amazing, isn’t it? Another thing I noticed was that my shoulder and knee pains were helped quite a bit while on Vitalzym. Now, I don’t know if quitting gluten had anything to do with that but I suspect the enzymes had a lot to do with it. Today is day 3 of my period. Day 1 was heavy, day 2 medium and today so far…nothing. And almost NO cramps through the whole thing! I really hope you get relief from the enzymes. Only thing is they recommend taking at least 12 a day in the beginning and then tapering off to a “maintenance” dose of 3-9 for fibroids. Are you starting at the 3 and then working your way up to the 12?

• The recommended dosage is 3 capsules, 1-3 times a day. I want to see if I can have good results with the minimum dosage and then take more if I dont see results. After all I am cutting out most salt, oil (especially cashews) and sugar. Along with the reishi, vitex and other herbs Im hoping I can get away with the 3 a day dosage.

I’ll let you know how it goes, thanks! :)

• DreaDrea Raw Master

I was wondering if there was any updates on the Vitalzym? I have just been told by my doctor that I have fibroids, and I’ve been raw only for a little while. So I was hoping someone could give me a good direction to head in because surgery is out of the question!

• dreasraw, sorry to hear about the diagnosis. I’ll let you know in a couple weeks what impact Vitalzym, other herbs and dietary modification has had.

Do you have symptoms or not? Why did you go raw?

• CarmentinaCarmentina Raw Newbie

Another way to help the body flush out excessive estrogen is by eating ground up flaxseeds or psyllium. I’ve also read about progesteron cream for painful periods – loads and loads of anecdotes. It’s made from wild yam cream.

• DreaDrea Raw Master

Ceasarea, I went raw for over all good health and I was starting on a spiritual journey that was making me use my brain more than normal (LOL) So, in knowing that I was eating poison, I had to stop!

Right now my symptoms are uncomfortable menstrals (It’s not unbearable), very heavy mentrals, and very painful sex. I’ve been doing some internet research and ran across this thread and saw you guys talking about Vitalzym, I’m really curious about this. On the internet it says it dissolves fibroids, What do you think? The fibroid is a not huge, but not small. I can lay back and feel it myself.

Carmentina, I eat a whole lot of flaxseeds, I need to try psyllium seeds.

• itouristitourist Raw Newbie

I’m probably different than a lot of people. But here’s my take

(1) Nuts have been known to cause problems for people. They say that nut consumers have a high amount of mold. I wouldn’t consume nuts as a way of boosting calories. I’d instead consume 1 or 2 tablespoons of virgin coconut oil total for the day after a meal/s.

(2) You didn’t say you drink a green drink. If I were you I’d consume at least one green drink a day (juiced greens things).

(3) I noticed that I had much fewer period clots after going raw. And the uncomfortable breast swelling totally went away. Before I could tell you when a period was coming because of the discomfort. Now I couldn’t tell you if one was coming. I’d have to think back when was the last period to tell you one was coming.

• i have found that organic ground flaxseed has helped eliminate my severe cramping/pains associated with my period!! i take 2 Tablespoons almost daily. i have also lost 30 pounds , so i think that has helped too.. am now 135 pounds, 5’7. i am slowly just now transitioning into raw (currently mostly vegan).

actually.. now it’s a different problem for me. in the last 2 months, my period was late 10 days before i got it.. and now it’s late 1 month! (not preggo). i’m hoping it’ll normalize soon…

• Hi Carmenita, I used ground flax and progesterone cream in the past with little if any impact on the actual flow. However, I believe that the Vitex tincture Im taking now is having a huge impact on a very slight yeast condition Ive had for the last few months. I think it was hormonally related, so this is good news.

Dreasraw, sorry to hear about your fibroid. I know that after being raw for about 3 months I could feel that the general size/swelling of my uterus has decreased considerably. Hopefully you will see the same changes just from being raw! I’ll let you know what impact Vitalzym has on my period in a couple weeks.

itourist, I started out with green smoothies every day. Currently I eat copious amounts of kale (kale chips) and romaine on a daily basis. I havent had green smoothies for a while though. I will try to incorporate green juices on a daily basis. I have a Breville Juicer, will that do the job? Or should I just go back to green smoothies?

figsandolives, ground flax had no impact on my cycle. Ive lost @ 25 lbs and about 10% of my body fat. I am 5’5” 114lbs. I realize that the fibroids kind of have a life of their own. I am considerably healthier than I was but the condition still exists. My cycle has been and still is extremely regular, no problems there.

Ive also tried (and still do when I remember) visualization techniques focusing on fibroid degeneration.

I hope I find a solution soon and I will be telling EVERYONE I know, lol..

Thanks you guys!

• itourist, I didn’t respond to everything you mentioned. I hear you about the nuts, do you think there’s a direct correlation between mold and the female reproductive system?

Also, as soon as I went raw I also noticed that I no longer have PMS breast tenderness and much less overall discomfort. It’s really only day 2 that is unbearable for me in terms of heavy flow and painful cramps.

• Hi Ceasarea, What are kale chips? I’ve tried eating kale and also making smoothies with it and I just can’t get it down. It’s like eating a burlap bag, lol.

Green smoothies

I read that you can tell a person has been consuming a lot of nuts because you can see mold in their blood.

My latest interest is in bananas. A lot of people think of the tropical fruits as bads, but tropicals are suppose to be the most detoxifying, probably have the most sun energy given where they are grown, known to have lowest amount of chemicals. I started substituting bananas for one of the other things I had been eating for breakfast. I think I notice benefits. I won’t talk abou them now because it could all be in my head. But bananas are supposedly one of the miracle foods.

So is ev coconut oil. It helps people who need to gain weight gain weight, people who need to lose weight lose weight, correct thyroid issues, improve cholesterol numbers, serve as an anti-parasitic, serve as an anti-viral (demonstrated to be effective in HIV patients) etc. I have been taking it for 2 years. I am 5 foot 8 without shoes and weight 130-135 pounds before and after being raw (but I am really only about 70 percent raw). The last full blood panel I had was when I was 40 years old. My cholesterol was 190 with my bad cholesterol being 10 higher than desirable. My cholesterol readings before that were all 190 (when I was 21 years old and when I was 30 years old). This past summer, a lady was doing quicky cholesterol readings at the store (not the full panel where you must fast), my mid day reading (after lunch) was 165. I am 43 years old.

The negative about EV coconut oil is that it turns sold at temps colder than 75 degrees; and it doesn’t just turn back to liquid easily. My winter electricity bills last year during the cold months were as high as $225 in February. But I tell myself that it is a little price to pay for health.

I think most peoples periods are very heavy on day two. Look out. Bring extra pads even if you’re raw.

Small Clothes Thread

Yeah we want to know where to get the good stuff at at the good prices

• Amygdala, Kale chips are kale de-stemmed and broken into bite sizes.Then you drizzle oil and maybe vinegar and add a dash of salt.Massage the kale for a minute or so, then spread on a dehydrator tray. After several hours or overnight the kale becomes crispy and very tasty. Reminds me of light potato chips or veggie booty. Incredibly satisfying and you eat so much at one sitting you get all those fantastic nutrients. Ive been eating copious amount these days. I think it’s affecting my iron levels in a good way because I feel more energetic and quite ecstatic lately. There is a recipe for kale chips on this site, do a search!

itourist, thanks! My day two is pretty bad, having to change every 1-2 hours for about 8 hours. That’s so annoying at work. I dont think it should be that bad, it’s like everything wants to come out during that 8 hour span because day 3 is about every 4 hours which seems normal to me. Hopefully this month (next week) will be a positive change for me! Im praying!

• So, here’s my update, so far. I think it’s good news! Im on day 2 and so far the pattern remains the same but somehow everything seems WAYYY less intense than months prior. Meaning, the pain is moderate instead of excruciating and the flow,while heavier than day 1 of course, is not debilitating. I still had to change about every hour or so this morning but I think that has more to do with crappy tampons than anything else. (Yes Ive tried the divacup and another one but they were extremely painful, maybe hitting my cervix, and leaked;and the flow is too heavy for cloth pads)

Anyway, so each time changed I felt the difference, like I said, just way less intense overall.

I recently bought a juicing book and last night made one of the juices prescribed for menstrual problems, ‘Magnesium Drink’. This is 4 carrots, 2 stalks of celery, a small handful of parsley and 1 clove of garlic. Very sweet/savory and not too unpleasant to get down. I’ll make another one tonight and for the next couple days. Not sure how if at all, this will help, but it should because Magnesium is important to health menstruation.

Just a reminder, since my last period Ive been taking 3 Vitalzym capsules a day, tinctures of Vitex and Reishi extract. For the last few days and right now (every few hours) Im taking a liquid tincture made up of Lady’s Mantle, Shepherd’s Purse, Yarrow and Partridgeberry. That is supposed to help flow and pain, I’d say it’s made an impact. Next month I’ll try to remember to start taking it a week before my period, see if that makes even more difference.

Oh yeah, last night and this morning I also took my iron supplement Floravital. But I think having all those bunches of Kale for the last couple weeks had a huge impact on my iron levels. And it has mucho calcium.

I pray next month is even better!!

Thanks everyone for all your help. And if anyone has any questions, feel free to ask! Im happy to share!

• Hey Ceasarea! I am so happy for you! That’s fantastic. It really sounds like you are being helped by your regimen. I wonder which of the supplements or extracts are having the most benefit. I know that magnesium is supposed to be very helpful with cramps. If taken a few days before your period, it could totally alleviate cramps altogether. About changing pads and tampons every hour…last August (‘07) I started getting my period every 15 days. Went to the ob/gyn thinking it was perimenopause setting in and he said it is from the fibroid that had gotten quite large. One day I literally RAN to the bathroom while at work because out of nowhere I went through a “double plug.” (I’d been in the habit since my late 20s of putting in 2 tampons if it was a heavy day. Now that I think of it, I bet that is what contributed to my stupid fibroid in the first place!). Anyway, every cycle since then was the same. Every 15 days and 4-5 really heavy days followed by spotting. Since the vitalzym, I don’t dread my period anymore. It’s back to 27 days and the bleeding is only 3-5 days and medium, maybe 1 heavy day. OK, sorry to ramble. I highly doubt it is a coincidence. Maybe the vitalzym plus the raw diet shrank the fibroid back just enough to keep bleeding in check. Thanks for the kale chips recipe. Gonna try it! Continue to feel better…keep us posted.

• Thanks Amydala! Im so tempted to order more Vitalzym so I can up the dosage! My cycle has gone from 28 days all my life (I’m 35) to 26 days recently. I’d like to see if I can get back to 28 days.

I noticed the impact of the Vitex right away, so that has definitely helped stabilize my hormones, which should help with cramps and bleeding. The mixture Ive had for the last few days is probably working, I noticed fewer clots and a more ‘normal’ texture.

Ive always been afraid to double up myself, though tempted. I shouldn’t even be using tampons but I don’t have a choice right now. Not until my period lightens up considerably. (if it ever does)

Usually at the end of day 2 I feel like a stabbing victim, lol. Im usually extremely drained and uncomfortable, with pains running all through my lower half.

Anyway, off to make my magnesium juice! :) I’ll let you know how tommorrow is also.

• Amygdala, day 3 was noticably better as well. So Ive decided to start the 9/day Vitalzym regimen. I will do that until my next period and then go back to 3/day for maintenance. Im not sure how long I would do the maintenance, maybe 3-6 months.

How long did you do maintenance? And I don’t remember if you mentioned how raw you are. Do you think being raw has helped you with the fibroids?

• C….yes I think being raw helped to at least stop the fibroid from worsening. I guess it’s all about enzymes. It takes more enzymes for us to digest cooked food so by eating raw, we stop depleting our own enzymes. Then by adding the Vitalzym, which I noticed helped digestion immensely, we give our digestive system a break on top of that. I don’t know if the Vitalzym directly helps digest food or if it does something to boost our own digestive system’s function. Add to this that V. supposedly directly digests fibrin all over the body and there’s the chance that it is digesting the fibroid. I’ve been cheating very badly for almost 2 months now on the raw. I am probably 10% raw now! I have to get back to all raw or I am going to gain all my weight back. I am surprised I haven’t gained back a single pound yet and I’ve been eating very badly…cake, cookies, fried stuff, anything goes. I take the enzymes “when I feel like it.” I was off them for about 2 weeks and I just started them again last week (highest dose). I am using “Doctor’s Best” brand of serrapeptase and nattokinase which I bought online (it was a tad cheaper than Vitalzym). I have no idea if it is as good yet because I haven’t been taking it consistently. I guess I’ll know if I’ve reversed the progress when I get my period in the next few days. I have a feeling it will be another bad one because I already feel some pain where the fibroid is. Also…and sorry to ramble but this all may be info you can use…since eating SAD food and going off enzymes, my shoulder and knee aches are back, which I think is due to gluten sensitivity. Gluten can cause inflammation all over the body if you are sensitive to it and then on top of it there are not enough systemic enzymes around to “clean up” the debris so pain sets in. How are you feeling on the higher dose of Vitalzym for the past week?

• Hi Amygdala, as they say, ‘have a happy period’ lol. (I hate those commercials) Seriously, sorry to hear you’re having pain already. Maybe you can get some herbal tinctures to use before and during.

I don’t notice a difference on 9 versus 3 Vitalzym. Actually it’s funny, yesterday I had the worse gas pains I’ve had in a long time, lol. But it could be a result of bad combining (I think I ate some fruit too close to another meal. I always eat fruit alone)

My nails are fantastic though, and my skin looks pretty darn good for the first time on raw. It has a brightness and clarity I havent seen in years.

Also I can feel that the size of my uterus has gone down even more…yay! And this morning I weighed in at 111 lb…yikes! That’s weird too because in an effort not to lose more weight Ive UPPED my calories and good fats.

Im REALLY excited to have my next period. I anticipate an even better experience.

Thanks Amygdala!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

I just wanted say that I am following this thread. I am hoping you all find answers. I, for one, can’t wait until menopause!

I too have very heavy bleeding and cramping but only on my first two days. It is pretty clockwork. I have resorted to sleeping with heating pad on super high heat which is the only thing that helps – not that I get any sleep mind you. I don’t take any medications – but I might start again just because I will need to get through those days when I start working again.

I just got over my two bad days and finally got some sleep last night without the heating pad- although, not great sleep because I had nightmares.

I don’t think I have fibroids – although I haven’t been to the ob for a checkup in awhile because I have no health insurance (I might go down to the free one). Is there anyway to tell without a checkup?

Before, I went raw my period was not like this. I hardly had any cramps and the flow was more of the same through the whole period. I could use the regular tampons. Now I have to wear the super plus ones one day one and two. I am so glad they started making the organic ones in super now. I never had to use these before in my whole life.

I have read that pineapple is supposed to help with cramps. I read a story of one girl that said if she ate pineapple when she started cramping the cramps would start going away. If they started coming back again, she would start eating pineapple again until they subsided. It figures that I don’t have any pineapple around when the cramps start so I haven’t been able to test this yet.

I don’t have any other help advice – other than, the only time in my whole life that I haven’t had cramps with my period was when I was exercising for at least an hour everyday. Has anyone else noticed this sort of phenomenon?

I eat a lot of things with cashews in them – not on a daily basis. But I am pretty sure I am not allergic because I don’t have any of the symptoms that others are describing.

• Queenfluff, thanks! Pineapple didn’t work for me when I tried it.

Since menstruation is a detox mechanism it makes sense that it would get heavier after going raw. There are just more toxins leaving the body in all ways, not just during menstruation. I suppose after a while it will get better. I hope, for the sake of those of us trying to become more ‘clean’!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Ceasarea – That is interesting. I forget that all that blood coming out is probably a way of detoxing too. I wonder if there are certain things that detox out more than others through blood that way. Like maybe some heavy metals?

I know I was pretty disappointed when my period didn’t get easier on raw and actually got worse. I am 100% but I definately eat so much better than I used too. I hear so many storied of woman saying their periods are a breeze on raw. I feel gyped. :(

• Queenfluff {{{{hugs}}}}}. I know, I know…Im almost at the point too where Im wondering what the heck is going on if eating a clean diet doesn’t improve my period. But Im giving it a year or two before I decide what to do next.

I do believe that this is a much more complicated issue than I first thought. But I refuse to believe that it is irreparable. Im 35 and (as strange as this sounds) it would make me so happy if I could have some pleasant periods before I hit menopause which is probably less than 10 years away for me. The only time Ive ever had uneventful periods was when I was on the pill. When I started menstruating at 10 years old it was extremely painful and then added to that was nausea and vomiting. All that stopped with the pill but I think it increased my probability of developing fibroids and messing up my hormones, which it did. But you know, this didnt happen overnight, so I can’t expect to be healed overnight either. I’ll keep you posted on any improvements!

• I had a very painful period before my raw journey began. Now I have been on and off for 5 years and realized that if I really behave I have almost no discomfort at all. For me the best is to stick to 80/10/10 diet as close as possible – low fat, only whole stuff (no oils, no juices, no salt, no soy), lot of fruit and greens, some veggies, little nuts, seeds and avos. I do not use dehydrated stuff only rarely as a special treat. I still use some spices, ginger, hot peppers, garlic and onion. Find the tipe of raw diet which is best for you stick to it and after some time you will see changes. Somtimes things have to get even worse before they get better.

• Hi Grasshopper, I find that the more healthy fats I eat, the more body fat I lose. When I try to eat less fat it seems my body holds onto it for dear life, lol.

So I’ve tried low fat, less dehydated stuff (in fact for the first few months on raw I had no dehydrator)

Yes, Im still looking for the best raw diet for my needs.

I REALLY hope things will get better pretty soon.

Thanks!