Noob! Can foodies go raw too?!

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Hello there! New here. wave I’ve recently been introduced to raw foodism by a friend of mine, and after reading “Raw Gourmet” I’m sold! I really want to try eating alot more raw food. I’m a little worried because my budget doesn’t allow for buying the fancy kitchen gear and expensive foods, but I’m hoping I can at least get started.

I’m a 26 year old female, former vegetarian (well ovo-lacto pescatarian technically) and I’ve been significantly overweight since I was a toddler, despite dieting and all manner of eating disorders. After several years of occasional bouts of severe abdominal pain (and no health insurance to find out what it was!) that progressively got much worse and more frequent, I found out I had gallstones. I had my gallbladder removed this past April, and was informed I also have a slightly fatty liver and slightly enlarged spleen, but they didn’t really know why. Cholesterol and blood pressure and such was pretty normal. I was eating ok most of the time, then had to start eating uuuuber healthy to keep my gallbladder under control before it was out, after a week long bout in the hospital a month before my surgery, because it almost burst and bile was in my blood!

After all that, I’ve wanted to make a change. I’ve always been keen on organics, vegetarianism, and unprocessed foods, and the health benefits of raw foodism on the digestive system and the whole body just seem to be so amazing, so I’m here to learn more about how to do this! I’m a bit of a “foodie”...I come from a bit of a culinary family and Anthony Bourdain is like my hero…so I’m little afraid of what I might miss out on…but the health benefits seem just too good to pass up!

Hope to talk soon, cheers!

Comments

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

You’re not going to miss out on a thing! Raw food is the tastiest food I have ever eaten. I have not eaten better in my life since I went raw. Your mouth is going to explode with flavours and textures when you make some of the raw recipes.

Check out gourmet raw books like Trotter and Klein’s “Raw” Sarma Menghalis and Matthew Kenney’s “Raw food Real world” and Juliano’s “Raw” and you’ll be reassured I’m sure.

Alot of your health problems were probably caused by eating animal protein – dairy and eggs. Check this out to see why

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Thanks for the recommendations Zoe! I definitely will. My raw friends had me try an apple crisp they made and it was unbelievable. It’s really remarkable what you can create with a food processor and a dehydrator. I’m looking forward to learning to make some goodies!