Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

When's all this weight loss I read about supposed to start?

2»

Comments

• Are you exercising robinbarr? For myself, raw or not, I lose when exercising. The more I exercise the more I lose. Also the more I exercise the more I want too.

Eating about 10%fat has helped me lose weight. Gain much more energy too. Thats me. I can really see after being raw for the most part a year that we are all reacting differently.I have had my ups and downs and I am still learning what works best for me. Dr Doug Grahams version of the raw diet is what works for me and many others..but not all.

I think it is best to research and learn from your body.Meanwhile the benefits that you did mention sound awesome!

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i think if you are already at your ideal weight, then you might not lose weight.

your digestion could be sluggish and holding things up. i find that when I am losing weight my digestion is working very well. you may want to consider a colonic to move things up a bit down there.

also, you could be retaining water. what are you eating?

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Zoe…I just read your story on the Purely Raw website. It hit so close to home to me, the depression and shyness and lack of energy and confidence before going raw, not to mention your hubby’s weight loss. I would love to talk to you more about it if you have time…would you mind exchanging emails? Mine is raiynn32 at yahoo dot com.

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

robinbarr, I’m not so sure about a couple of the massive weight-loss stories I’ve read about. Anyone who can slam down several thousands calories of fresh, raw food and still loose 1/2 pound a full pound a DAY for months on end never had any metabolism problems to begin with, in my opinion. They just ate too much before, period.

At any rate, the posters are on the mark. Give your body time to adjust. You could be retaining a ton of water right now. I found in my own experience that when I go on a restriction diet, that happens. When I first started raw, I only lost 1 or 2 pounds a month, and I was borderline morbidly obese! I cried my eyes out. Then, after the second month, I started to loose about 7 pounds a month, steadily. The last few months I’ve lost only about 4 and a half a month, probably because as I am nearing a normal weight, I simply don’t need as many calories.

When folks say they eat all they want, they are most likely not real binge-eaters and they actually know when to quit. To a real binge-eater, this means that they can eat 3,000 cals at a sitting and never gain. Not true. But don’t fret too much over calories. Sure, I count calories, but I don’t go crazy about it. While I think this “starvation mode” is pure nonsense, it’s still not good to starve yourself. Make sure you eat the widest variety of fruits and veggies possible for your nutrition, lots of greens, and keep the oils to a minimum. I think fatty whole foods like avocado are great and not the evil some raw foodists claim. I seperate fatty foods from fats/oils, eat from the former and am careful with the latter.

Since October of last year, I’ve lost 68 pounds on the raw diet. Counting the weight I lost before raw by just quitting bread and pasta, I’ve lost 92 pounds altogether. Yay!!! . I have 30 left to loose. Hang in there and the most important thing is to enjoy this diet, because it’s truly enjoyable!

• TomsMom, what you write makes so much sense. I also wanted to say congratulations!

• WOW! It is great to see so many people in the same boat.. I have been wondering myself when the weight loss happens.. I have been doing RAW for 2 monhts ..I have seen no loss.. I had been doing every careful watching what I eat the past year before.. Nothing really in the last few months.. If you count the fluctuating pds.. I’d be close to 100! I can’t stand the fluctuating.. I just get to a pt where the scale is finally moving downward and boom scale is back up..I have not changed my eating..! It would be nice to see..but in the end YOU have to realize it is about your health and not always pds.. I have to remind myself that sometimes too!! I need lose 45 more pds to be at my original target of 80pds.. I really want to hit 100ps in the worst way. We’ll see how long I can take this!! It is comforting knowing I am not the only who has not had amazing results yet…!! Deb

• Since June I have lost 20 pounds… all while transitioning to raw foods. Only recently have I moved into 90+% raw and all but cut out meats and only recently have I lost the bulk of that twenty. I ate some shrimp the other night but found no joy in eating them so I am thinking its time to let even seafood go completely. Before that it had been a little over a week.

I have found avoiding nuts, agave, and cao cao help me lose the most and the fastest. Greens and Fruits need to be the staples of my diet, though I can include avocados and young coconuts without issue as well.

I do yoga every morning, have stopped driving my car to work – I walk or ride my bike now, swim in the pool when its warm enough and go on walks when the urge hits me. The urge has been hitting me more often.

Todays menu is a green smoothie of dandelion greens, dinosaur kale, baby bok choy, and an apple mixed with spirulina, sun is shining superfood and a very very very little sun warrior protein. All available from David Wolfe’s site. My snack was an orange. Lunch is a gazpacho I made last night, tomatoes freshly picked from the garden mixed with one avocado. Diced red onion, red peppers, garlic, and zucchini fresh from the garden thrown in with some sea vegetables sprinkled on top, and then a side of spinach. When I get home I’ll probably eat some goji berries. Dinner will probably be a smoothie consisting of one apple, mango, papaya, acai, blueberries and raw honey. Or one young coconut, water and meat…

This is seeming like the best meal plan for me so far.

The best changes though are not on the scale. I feel more energized, the chronic dry eye I was experiencing is gone, I feel healthier, happier, more confident, more in control.. I feel more alive and more like I want to live – or do things.

• Rapid weight loss is unhealthy. The body needs to adjust. Weight loss will happen gradually as you make dietary changes. If you medically NEED to lose weight then you must be patient. You don’t want to push it. Pushing things too far too fast while cause havoc on the mind and body. Cravings will come marching like ants one by one. You must balance your meals and if you are watching your caloric intake then nutritional tracking, weighing/measuring, etc. might be good tools for you. Weight gain or loss does not happen over night. EveryBODY has a set weight that is healthy and where they naturally should be. Keep honoring yourself, body, food and this earth and let it adjust as it’s naturally meant to. Blessings to you.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I haven’t lost any weight. I exercise regularly. I’ve been ~95% raw for 6 months. I am 135 lbs, 5’5”, BMI 22.5. I sure could lose some belly fat..more muscle and less jiggly on this frame would be great. But it hasn’t happened. Perhaps it will at some point. Increasing my exercise would probably help. I’ve never cared much about my weight. I eat raw and exercise, I rarely look in the mirror or weigh myself. I never got into raw for the weight loss – just the health. When I set goals for myself, they always relate to learning a new sport/ outdoor activity. Perhaps you should try that? Get excited about hiking or skiing, and join a club or take lessons?

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

On my third week of raw I started losing weight and then I lost it pretty fast. I wasn’t very overweight so I’m guessing the more weight you have to lose the faster it will be.

It takes a bit of time but don’t give up! It’ll come and you’ll feel even better!

• I lost an amazing 40 pounds during my first 6 months on raw but now I don’t know where I am at now becuase I do not do the scale thing. The only reason I knew that was because my doctor weighed me. I trust my body to shed wieght when it thinks that it is ready. Fat can protect your organs and tissue from damage from toxins and an acidic condition. When you change those things then, with time your body can let go of that fat as it will not be needed anymore. I did not have a true healing crises until I was raw for 5 months, I guess becuase it was not safe for my body to do so. I am committed to listening to my body and trusting it’s wisdom. We are on a long journey and not a sprint race. Every now and then I have to just remind myself to relax and breath.

• I have been raw for 8 days now and have lost over 10 pounds. On the days I have tracked it, I have eaten around 14 or 1500 calories per day. I don’t know when this extreme trend will stop. If it goes on for longer than I few weeks I will grow concerned. Otherwise, its fine- I need to lose around 90 more pounds. 40 of those I gained very quickly in the last six months, so I think I will lose them quickly. I also have not yet experienced any bad detox symptoms- perhaps they will come, I certainly hope not. My point is, as everyone else has said, everyone is different. No matter what the scale says, trust that your body will find its way in time.

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I lost about 14 pounds in the first 18 days of being 99% raw, but the first week of that was only about 3 pounds of it. I haven’t been on a scale in about a week, so I have no idea where I am now.

I was able to lose about 30 pounds this year while still eating fairly poorly just by being able to get off the anti-depressants that helped me gain the weight I need to lose so desperately.

After the loss of the first 30 pounds, it felt like I lost none. I had no difference in the way I felt, however after eating raw and losing those 14 pounds, it felt like I lost 50, not 14 based on the energy and emotional lightness that came with it.

I have not watched calories, only eat seeds and oils when I feel I need some calories and don’t have room for another smoothie, an drink about a gallon of smoothies per day.