Soaking Buckwheat? Avoiding toxicity via sprouting?

Hey there, Just curious the difference between soaking/sprouting buckwheat? I have never soaked/sprouted it before until now. I just soaked about two cups for 24 hours. I know that sprouting requires 2-3 days after soaking, but I plan on using the grouts tonight to make a pizza dough. Would they be toxic at that point? Help! Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• jah rawstafarijah rawstafari Raw Newbie

hi bronwyn – I am not familiar with the rules regarding toxicity and sprouting, but I have sprouted buckwheat before and it’s soaking/sprouting cycle is much shorter than most, assuming you are using the hulled version. I usually only soak them for an hour or so before starting the rinsing/straining cycle. The whole process is usually only 24 hours or less. Because it is so soft, you really have to make sure you have it in a container that allows plenty of air circulation and proper drainage or you will end up with a soggy, stinky mess :P

How does yours look and, most importantly, smell? if after rinsing, the smell is some what fermented or off putting I wouldn’t use them. Hope that helps a little. Good luck with your pizza :)