Hello from Pennsylvania

Hello! I have been lurking daily and figure it is time to introduce myself.

My parents have been vegan, mostly raw, for about 5 years. They are both 73, and the picture of health. No meds for either one of them. Their DR is very supportive. How can you argue with success? I watched my father go from about 50 lbs overweight with a long time nagging cough, to energetic and ideal weight. My mother was always at a healthy weight, but she no longer has the aches and pains that she was developing.

On to me. I am 47 years old, overweight, and was starting to feel old and achy. I bought a cheap juicer, just to try things out. I LOVE it. It has been over 3 weeks now and I am THRILLED with the results! So far, I have easily lost 15 lbs, with no hunger pangs at all. I am not even focusing on weight loss.. just on eating good.

I saw that fitday was recommended here, and I use it daily just to track my nutrients. I am having carrot juice/spinach/romaine/fresh ginger smoothies for breakfast. I probably drink a tall ice tea glass full..even more. I take a piece of fruit or 2 and about 2 brazil nuts, and maybe a few almonds for picking at throughout the day. When I am home from work, I juice another smoothie, and then a huge salad a few hours later.

I have been steaming mixed veggies from time to time. I am not ready to give that up just yet.

So far.. so good! My complexion is better. I feel more energetic. My job is physically demanding, and lately I had been reeeeeallly dragging!

I perused several vegan/raw forums, and found this one the most to my liking. I have a great deal to learn, and am loving the wealth of information.

Comments

• drgonflydrgonfly Raw Newbie

Welcome Rebecca!I have found this to be the best raw site also. I love all the forums available, they are definately interesting! Glad to have you with us.

Wind to thy wings!

• Hi Rebecca! Glad you joined! I just wanted to say that I’m from Pennsylvania too! What area are you from?

• Thank you for the welcomes! Clarityjade, I am from Southeastern PA. Lancaster County. We have several health food stores within just a few miles of me, so the shopping is very easy.

• Oh ok, I’ve been out that way before, but live a few hours away. Having health stores nearby is definitely great! Enjoy raw!

• Welcome fellow Pennsylvanian! Western PA over here…I’ve camped a few times in Lancaster. I’m probably just a typical tourist when I say this but; I loved seeing the local Amish men on their buggies selling their goodies! And who can forget the ever-so famous, Shoofly Pie! :) It’s always a good time when I’m out that way! Glad you shared your story with us! Good luck and blessings on your journey to great health.