Nesco dehydrator... fixed temp?

Hi all, I just bought one of those cheap Nesco dehydrators, and didn’t notice until I came home that it has a fixed temperature. Does anyone know what temp it’s fixed at? I don’t want to accidentally go above the raw-standard temps…

(I emailed the comapny, they haven’t answered yet. And the temp is not indicated in the instructional manual.)

Thanks!

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Sorry, the only Nesco I have seen has a temp dial… Did you try going to the website and researching there???

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Let us know if you find out. That sucks no dial so you can’t adjust. In my experience, those cheapo dehydrators aren’t worth it in the long run. They are not made for the raw diet – meaning the company doesn’t care about “raw temps”. and I have heard that the temp is above the raw temp. Plus, they don’t fully dehydate items because of the placement of the fan. If you seriously going to do some dehydrating, it is better to save your bucks and spend a littel more on a used one with temp control. (don’t get a round one)

Wait to use it until you can find out the temp – this way you can still return it.

• I’d love to get a better qulity dehydrator, but can’t afford it at the moment. I wonder, would using the oven (at a low temp of course) work for dehydration, for the time being?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

It would be easier to use screens outside in the sun… I have used window & door screens but put down cheese cloth for my produce to lay on and then fold it over so they are completely covered… Then top with a matching screen so no bugs or other materials reach my bounty…

If you were going to keep and use the Nesco you have, get a therometer to stick inside so you can know how hot it is… Just be careful as I believe it will be hot enough to make JERKY yuk!!! Or better yet, return it and get one with the temp dial… Good Luck!!!