Dehydrating Tomatoes & Peppers

I have a crop of tomatoes and pepper, which I hope produce something shortly. I was online today looking into dehydrating them. What I found states if you dehydrate them, even if you thereafter cover them in olive oil, you should use them within 3 – 4 weeks. This really surprised me because I was looking at something more long-term. Any thoughts?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I believe the way in which they are handled after dehydrating is the key… Example, vacuum sealing and or freezing in glass canning jars will extend the life of your produce!!! Maybe Beany will chime in here with more personal experience… LOL

Beany??? You are needed!!! Again… lol

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Chiming away! Not vacuum sealed but dried Green or red peppers are good at temps of 34 F for 24- 30 months. At 0 F for 8 -10 years. If you vacuum sealed them and keep them in a cool spot. In a place like a basement, they should keep for a very long time.

I just opened a vacuum sealed jar with dried tomato sauce, Chipped after dried. It is about 12 months old and still very good. I had stored them in our day light basement. The temp varies from 47 winter to 60 summer.

If you don’t have a cool place to store them. I would suggest freezing, after you dehydrate.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

BEANY – How does one dry tomato sauce?

I don’t have much freezer space so I guess I need to get a vacuum sealer.

WATERBABY – Which one do you have? Does it do any kind of jars or anything else?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Chop in 1/4 the tomatoes . Then blend in you blender. Roma are the best. Pour on sheets,dehydrate. I start at 130-135 for 3 hours then down to 106 until dried. You will have leather, when dried either roll and bend the leather over to fit jars I use the 2 qt. canning jar. Or pull it into small pieces and put into quart canning jars then vacuum seal.

Waterbaby do you mind if I tell her what kind of sealer you have.?hummmm? We both have Food Saver. You will need a special sealing lid you only need one as it is used for all wide mouth canning jars.. You may want to go to, “Vacuum Sealers Please Help” under Food Prep.