Pickling Vegetables

Still pursuing possible ways to preserved my garden goodies, I read today about soaking fresh veggies in salt water for an extended period and then covering them in spiced vinegars, essentially pickling them. I can’t imagine this is conducive to raw food theories as I would assume the ph would be way off and that would denature the enzymes.

Anyone know the raw food take on pickling?

Comments

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Probiotics are what you will gain… Kim chi and kraut are two end products that are raw, if they are not heated by canning… They will not keep as long but are truly nutritional!!! I made some and so far, more than a month, no problem with spoilage….

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I have just made 8 pints of lacto -fermented French yellow beans. Put 2 Tab. sea salt in 1 quart warm water, let water cool. Cover the beans with the salt water, put on lid and ring. Place jars on a plate, on the counter. Leave a couple days then put where it is cool. You must use canning jars.

gone raw also has a recipe, “lemon Pickles”. Which I am making. Others on the forum say they are real good.If you leave out the dill this recipe may be good with other veggies.

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

So this process isn’t traditional pickling or is it? How long does fermented food last? Is it considered raw (not that I am 100% but just curious)?

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Sauerkraut is latic-fermented. Yes, it is raw. This type of preserving has to be kept in a cool place, or the refrigerator.