My very first green smoothie!

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I made my first green smoothie today!!! And it tasted GOOD! I was so pleasantly surprised and proud of myself. I was even more proud of my blender! :) I was afraid it wouldn’t chop the spinach enough, but after about 15 seconds on the highest speed, I had nice bright green liquified spinach!

I did 3 cups of spinach in a cup of water, added a banana, about 4 strawberries and a 1/2 cup of blueberries. A tbsp of flaxseed meal, a dash of ginger and a dash of allspice and a small squirt of honey out of paranoia, but I didn’t even need the honey. It was SO GOOD!

I’m so pleased! Yay!

Comments

• Congratulations on your first greenie!!! I LOVE spinach, banana and honey together… it’s Heaven. Your mix sounds wonderful. It brings me so much joy to see people excited over healthy eating. Thank you for your offering!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Thank you!!! I just couldn’t believe how good and FILLING it was, not to mention not too bad on the calories (around 270), which I’m trying to keep an eye on as I’m trying to lose weight. I love smoothies and used to make pure fruit ones (no greens/veggies/water) with juice for breakfast, but I know the sugar content would be really high, and I was usually hungry shortly thereafter. I could eat, but I’m not starving or anything.

It was so tasty too! And I loved the beautiful bright green it was, green is my favourite colour! I added the recipe to the recipe section. :) I’m wondering how it would taste if added some nut butter in for protein. The spinach/banana/honey combo is lovely, I never would’ve thought. Hmmmm…that gives me an idea! Spinach salad with chopped banana and nuts, dressing made of honey, lemon, and apple cider vinegar…what do you think? :)

Thanks for the inspiration!

• KristensRawKristensRaw Raw Newbie

Congrats! YAY!

With apples coming into season, those are delicious, light and fluffy when added to smoothies. One of my favorite recipes is my Fluffy Green Smoothie:

1-2 cups water 1-2 handsful spinach 2 apples 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

Blend it up and enjoy!

Cheers,

Kristen Suzanne

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Ohh I love apples and cinnamon! Does it have much of an apple cinnamon taste or does the spinach cancel it out?

I’ve never put apples in a smoothie before, I shall have to give it a go!

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

Welcome to green smoothieville! I have only been here a short itme myself, but it has already changed my life for the better.

This little tangent on apples has made me sad. I recently moved away from the area where I have lived most of my life, and ‘back home’ is my friend the fruit farmer who works at an orchard. This just reminded me of all the free apples and unpasteurized cider I will be missing out on this fall. <sniff>

It makes me a little homesick.

Fortunately, I am also now looking more forward to apple season as well, and this cinnamon idea is very intriguing to me.