Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Quince...what can I do with it?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I was at the big Mexican supermarket last week and bought some random fruit I’d never had. One was a quince. I’ve never had it but I’m told it’s not really palatable on its own and needs to be prepared with something else. I searched recipes here to no avail…anyone have any ideas what to do with my quince? And is it just me or does that question sound vaguely dirty? :p

Comments

• steviostevio Raw Newbie

I can tell you what to do with that quince ;-)

Actually, I have a friend who uses quince in his (cooked) apple sauce. It is quite delicious. I would try to do something mixing it with apples.

In fact, it is said the fruit form the tree of knowledge was a quince, and not an apple as is popularly taught. I have no idea if this is true, I’m no bible scholar, but this somehow ties it even more strongly to apples in my mind. (Despite being a devout agnostic.)

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

But that would HURT, stevio. :p

I have some apples so I maybe I’ll make a raw applesauce with it. Thanks for the suggestion!

Intriguing tidbit! Kinda makes me more curious to taste it now actually, makes me think it’ll be like stupendously sweet and delicious or life changing or something. Either that or I’ll be attacked by snakes. I’m not sure. :p

• We also purchased a quince. It has sat on the fridge for about a week. What do we do with it?

• The quince I had was not soft. I'm not sure if it was unripe. It was my 1st time trying it. It had kind of a dry after taste too. I juiced it with an apple. The juice is delicious. I tasted it alone It tasted like a mixture between a pear and an apple.

• Quince are not soft, they are very VERY hard. They have a lot of tannins and are very difficult to eat (and digest) raw. They CAN be used sparingly sliced super super thin along with other stuff, but I wouldn't eat a whole one uncooked due to the tannins in them (which is what causes the dry mouth-pucker aftertaste).

Unfortunately, not everything in the fruit and veg world can be consumed raw. Quince is kinda one of those things.

• Thanks for your comments, ether. My understanding was that quince is inedible when raw, but good to hear that you can use is sparingly! I imagine it would make a nice garnish on something...