Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Do you miss hot food?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

This thought has been plaguing me since I decided to do raw. I’m only a couple days in, but I really want some HOT food. As in temperature hot. That’s part of what I enjoy about certain cooked foods.

What about you guys? Do you crave the temperature thing? Do you miss it? I guess there’s really no way of getting around it…is there?

Comments

• clr-1976clr-1976 Raw Newbie

Oh yes yes yes!

I live in dreary old England and boy I’m not looking forward to when it gets really dull, not that we had a summer mind you.

I dont even have a dehydrator yet as I know some people put things in there to warm a teeny bit and take the edge off. I did put some courgetti in the oven the other night, fan on and less than 50 degrees, lowest it went actually, for a few minutes, and that was really nice. It was suggested (to use a dehydrator) in the recipe I tried – http://www.goneraw.com/recipes/4571-Creamy-Garl… (it was yummy by the way).

I did give in the other night though, had been a hell of a day for different reasons and got home so late I was too tired to get anything together so got chips on way home, gosh naughty.

I think I’ll struggle as the seasons change further but will take it as it comes. I dont want to go back to SED so I guess that’s something to try to keep me motivated.

That said, sometimes I’m fine. It may be that you’re finding it harder as you’re only a few days in. My boyf did raw with me last week and was craving bread within about 3 days!

How have you been since then?

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

I use hot peppers to heat up my meals, last night my salsa caused me to break a sweat!!! LOL

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

It’s easy to get the forehead to sweat… Hot is not hot until one’s (face) cheeks sweat. That’s how it was with those Louisiana Hot Sausages up at an old 60’s style hot dog place, Top Dog, in Berkeley. drip… drip… drip…

waterbaby12347~ Should be fun comin’ out also. ;) That’s usually a big shocker for me until I remember I ate something hot.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

I was eating some raw Thai curry the other night, and I was actually physically blowing on my food to “cool it down” even though it was cold! Spicy dishes really seem to do the trick.

Another trick is to let your raw food warm to room temperature. It may not be hot, but it’s also not super cold.

And, if in doubt, caffeine-free, herbal tea works wonders to warm you up! I still indulge in this every now and then when my friends want to get coffee.

Bluedolfin~ I’m confused, am I missing something??? Have no idea what you are saying, can you clarify???

waterbaby12347~ The part that I directed to you, I was referring to that “hot” sensation when one poops after having some spicy-hot food. teehee Does that clarify things?

• LOL i just got it Bluedolphin! OMG That was a picture! Waterbaby, she’s talking about when it leaves your body, how it will affect your digestive track on the way OUT LMAO, it took me a few times to get it.

Branwyn, I miss hot food like crazy!!! I usually go for a nice soup, and I use warm water for it. I like warmth, it’s a necessity when it’s cold for me. So I use my dehydrator on almost anything that I used to eat warm and take the chill off stuff by bringing it to room temperature first. I hate being cold lol.

Sorry… I didn’t realize I was being that cryptic. 8O

harmonylia~ ;)

• Not cryptic at all bluedolfin…. ; ) My husband loves crappin fire. He can’t get enough of those habaneros.

and btw, He’s not raw when it comes to soup. It has to be so hot it takes a layer of taste buds off. I’m not kidding.

So many bad taste jokes are coming to mind… but no… I won’t go there. ;)

• When I first became a raw foodist, I was 80% and had a homemade whole-grain tortilla per day or so. Well, hot food sounds good until you are hungry and have to wait to eat for your food to cool down and/or burn your tongue. NOT fun and not worth it.

Also, I got a hot cacao drink at a raw restaurant (now at 99% raw and staying) and thought it would be “warmed” in the Vita-Mix and when I got it, it was warmer than 115-118F (I think) and I was mildly disturbed and wondered about the nutrient content being destroyed. Of course it might not have been hotter than that, but it just bothered me a bit.

So as you go along, things might progress and you may find that you like room temp. and cold and NOT waiting for things to cool down when you’re famished. :D

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

It’s been a little over three years of eating almost all raw, but now I find a salad or a mango is more of a comfort food than hot soup & baked potatoes – I get comfort from the nutrition in a food rather than its temperature. I do not like to be cold, though, so I often warm things in the dehydrator or make warm drinks (raw cocoa, baby!) in the Vita-Mix. I also leave fruit & veggies at room temperature as much as possible, especially in the winter.

Bluedolfin~ YOU’RE so funny!!! Yes I guess I was a bit slow… Maybe if I had re-read it, I would have gotten it… You are right about the exit heat, LOL LOL LOL there are times I too have forgotten… But soon remembered… LOL

• I actually haven’t had many cravings for hot food but I know when winter arrives I am going to want warm tomato soup. One of my faves!

• renee underkoffler recommends serving soup in warmed bowls, that way it warms the soup slightly and if youre holding onto it it feels like a hot comforting meal

• HECK YEAH I MISS HOT FOOD!!! That’s why I have chosen to be 90% raw, instead of 100% I’ve had enough of being too hard on myself as well as others being hard on me. I’m a grown woman, and decided that if I want something within reason, I’m going to have it. I just had a cup of hot tortilla soup today and it was good!

Two years ago I strayed away from my healthy eating habits because of so many restrictions and no leeway. Now, this lifestyle is do-able. I have an extremely healthy diet now, so I’m going to enjoy life with peace of mind.

But I like what Bubbaw6 said about warming the soup bowl. That makes sense. It’s like freezing the mug before having a cold drink…good suggestion! I’m gonna try it the next time I want a hot comforting meal.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Thanks for all the thoughts and experiences everyone! Even though I’m just a few days in, I know I’m really going to miss hot food, especially in winter, and didn’t really know what to do about it, so thank you for the suggestions and the reassurance that I’m not alone. Room temp I think I can deal with, I don’t like cold food…even salads I much prefer room temp. Too much cold just completely dulls the taste of the food and hurts my sensitive teeth.

Kendra, I gotta say I’m with you on that. I have no intention of being 100% raw and I know that if I tried to be it would only result in me going WAY off track from too many restrictions. Your honesty with yourself and self acceptance is awesome, and comforting!

• I’ve been raw for a short time as well and not 100%. I read on the Excalibur dehydrator website that the enzymes don’t begin to break down until it is heated to over 120ºF. Here’s the link http://www.excaliburdehydrator.com/enzymes_and_… So on that note I slowly heat up some of my soups to no more than 105ºF in a pot on the stove. I have a digital cooking thermometer that I use to check the temp. Some thermometers don’t go down that low. That way I get to have my warm soup and I don’t have to wait for it to cool either :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

99% raw here. over a period of time I got use to not eating hot foods. Tho I have always let my foods cool a bit. I figured if it was to hot for my mouth, it was to hot for the inside of me.

Bluedolfin, my DH says ice cream helps.

• Slosh-uhSlosh-uh Raw Newbie

Why do raw vegans like to talk about poop so much?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

slosh-uh, its prob cos we do so much of it its become like a friend, we are talking average 4 poops a day here, 3 was i was vegan alone.

now, i remember seeing something on here about someone who warmed their already plated meal on the top layer of a stove top steamer, i thought this was a splendid idea, ive toyed with warming stuff slowly in a pan but the flame is directly against the metal pan that the food is in so i always think the food touching the bottom must get too high in temperature, and when you stir it you just move more nutrients to the bottom so i worry, but the steamer idea is brilliant, lightly warmed food and a nice warm bowl, super , or should that be souper! :P

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I do miss hot food alot. But I find that a few simple tricks help me ALOT.

1. I drink hot water in a mug ALL the time. It not only warms me but it’s soothing and keeps me hydrated.

2. I take hot baths with dead sea salt and that also makes me feel sooo good. I sometimes take a book and a fruit plate in there with me and it’s lovely!

But, I do make exceptions for myself so that I don’t go crazy and binge and if I plan (on a cold day) a healthy, hot meal I give myself that leeway. So long as I’m being reasonable and not doing it on a cravey whim. I’m with you Kendra!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

hot herbal tea, spicy food, food at room temperature. you covered them all. But how about certain types of food? There are AMAZING savory dishes (using root veggies and nuts for pates), lasagna, buckwheat pizza piled with veg warm out of the dehydrator… It’s those savory dishes that keep me going during winter.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

personally, none of these methods did it for me. i spent the last winter as a “natalia rose” raw foodie till i got over the craving for hot food. it is a craving, but you can get over it slowly, and without too much mental grief.

i have no desire to eat any cooked foods now. i also came to the realization that i could enjoy the smell of anything i wanted. i don’t need to stick everything that smells good in my mouth though. =)

hey that is so cool you mentioned the smell thing. I noticed that smells are pleasing to me but it doesn’t make me want to eat what I smell. Walking down the hall by the lunch room in my office I smelled some ravioli that was heavenly but I didn’t want to eat it. I just enjoyed the smell.

Also, the smell of a fresh mango is sheer comfort to me. I love it.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

OMG mangos! :-)

I love cayenne, so that makes my food “hot” enough for me. Warms my body up, too.

Sometimes cooked-food smells get on my nerves, however.

• According to Gabriel Cousens, in his book Rainbow Green Live Food Cuisine, you can make raw soups using warm water. I take this to mean that anything I make in the blender, I can make with warm water. So I have warm savory smoothies (which are essentially soups anyway), warm sauces and dressings, warm desserts – anything to which I add water, I can add warm water!

Seasonings are wonderful. In addition to cayenne, you can use cardamom, cinnamon and ginger. You can also add radish sprouts and/or onion sprouts, which are quite hot on the tongue and warming in the body.

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i don’t miss burning my tongue! ouch!

• JDJD

Bubbaw6 that’s a great idea. Totally going to do that. I make a few soups a week! THANKS!

I still burn my tongue on water all the time…...hot water doesn’t count as cooked does it? If so I don’t care. ha