I am new to this but for the past month I have been following and 80% raw food diet. I have researched it a little bit in the internet but have only read one book, the Natalia Rose “Detox Diet” one. I don’t know enough about nutrition or raw nutrition and therefore I am worried that I might not be getting enough nutrients, specially protein and calcium. This is my daily diet:
- 20 ounzes of green and fruit juice, comprising of 4/5 pieces of fruit and over half a pound of green vegetables (chard, celery, spinach, romaine, kale, cabbage)
- about five pieces of whole fruit: bananas, melon, watermelon, berries, pineapple, mango, papaya, pear, apple, kiwi, etc (I put oranges and occasionally lemon in my juice)
- Most days I would also have a salad: half an avocado, 1-2 tomatoes, more lettuce, carrots (I eat this on their own as a snack as well), mushrooms, beetroot, corn, a bit of cider vinegar and some cold-pressed olive oil. I make sure I always have my half an avocado a day even if I don’t always have my salad.
- I nearly always have a haldful of nuts, some seeds and dried fruit for snacks during the day, 85% chocolate for dessert and some coconut as well.
- At night time I almost always have a cooked-meal, mostly fish but some days cooked beans, chick-peas or lentils, and the very occasional piece of chicken, sometimes a couple of boiled potatoes and steamed or boiled vegetables to accompany the above. I also have some dairy, as I am pregnant and am afraid of missing out in my calcium intake too much.
I know nothing about sprouting grains, have heard you guys talk about granola, goji berries, hemp seeds, etc but know nothing about it all. What would be a good book for me to get a complete picture of the whole nutrition matter so that I know that I am doing the right thing? Does it seem like my diet above is particularly deficient in protein/calcium? Is there anything I should ideally add to the above?
Thanks for reading and excuse the very long post!