Muscle weakness

Hi, I’ve been raw for about two- two and 1/2 weeks, and it hasnt been difficult at all as far as ‘craving” cooked food. I just naturally want to eat raw foods. But, the last couple of days, and today especially, I have just felt weak, like my muscles are tired. Even just walking around downtown or up the flight of stairs to my apartment is exhausting. I am getting plenty to eat, though if I go too long with out eating I get really irritable and shaky, though it was like that before going raw. I usually have a green smoothie (with flax seed) in the morning, and plenty of fruits and vegetables and some nuts and seeds, even sprouted lentils and buckwheat. Is this some kind of detox? Or am I lacking something nutritionally?

Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• It sounds a lot like what I went through when I was hypoglycemic and my blood sugar would hit bottom. Hmmm, did you quit coffee or soda cold turkey when you went raw??? Try something really substantial in the morning like a meal of some kind, I do a sprouted buckwheat ground in the magic bullet with some nut milk until warm then add in cinnamon, raisins, nuts, vanilla and sweetner (pick one but use it lightly) it’s hearty and keeps me on keel. Then be sure to eat all throughout the day very evenly, even if you aren’t hungry eat every 2 hours or so keeping each meal at around 100 to 200 calories. Keep the greens as well.

• I would be highly concerned with hypoglycemia and low elesctrolyte – emphasis on potassium – levels.

Also, I’m so sorry this is happening to you. This use to happen to me all the time till I would black out, due to nutritional defeciencies. Are you tracking your calories? Do you know how many you are currently getting in a day?

• Oh good idea TheRawDance, I flew past that one. What about chromium? What has anyone heard on that and hypoglycemia?

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

it does seem that people get a wave of fatigue at 2 weeks from detox. but if it persists, it could be deficiencies. if you are deficient in say, iron, it will take your body a while to build back stores. so keep at it, you’re doing great!

but you may want to consider seeing a natural healer or naturopath for a professional opinion if it lasts.

• hey thanks for all the responses and support. I think that eating smaller meals more frequently is definitely the way to go for me. I have no idea what my caloric intake is, but I am sure it is much less than before I was raw. Before, a part of me would go in to guilt/punishment over how many calories I must have consumed at a given meal that I decided I would not worry about it at all and just eat what felt right. And I did used to eat a lot of processed sugar, cookies, ice cream etc. So maybe that is part of it.