Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Let's talk TOMATOES

MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I have been a life-long tomato hater…until recently. Now (within the past week) I can NOT GET ENOUGH.

DELICIOUS juicy salty savory little bubbles of YUM!!

I’m especially into cherry tomatoes…I just love popping them into my mouth and chomping down, having the flavor fill my oral cavity!

I know I’m probably craving them for the natural salt…as I don’t use seasalt. But they seem to ease moodiness. The other day, I was having a really rough time, crying, having a meltdown in general…then I ate a tomato and I completely forgot about what was bugging me! Got pretty cheerful afterwards.

What tomatoes do you guys like? What else is in them that makes them so essential for me right now?

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Golden Jubilee. The best, juiciest, most flavorful tomato I know of. So amazing and fulfiling!

I’m so glad you discovered a love for tomatoes because there’s so much to love about them! I couldn’t live without them and that’s for sure. Summer just isn’t summer without them.

Definitely good to get the salt although I don’t know what else could be making you crave them

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ooooorrrAAANNNNNGGGEEE CHERRY TOMATOES!!

• iknikn

YES! I love tomatoes, any kind! the past few weeks all I ate for lunch was tomatoes with garlic and basil. YUMMM!

• i love all tomatos except the cherry and grape I do not tlike when they explode in my mouth (funny this is what moth likes about them!).

• Right now, we can get Heirlooms. They’re big and weird looking but OH so juicy and flavorful! I also like plum tomatoes to dry so I can use local produce year-round in Pittsburgh. I slice and dehydrate them until they’re very hard and then grind them into a powder. Then I can add tomoato goodness to anything all through the winter and spring!

• jenoz – How long does it take to dehydrate the plum tomatoes? I have a bunch in my garden and I would really like to try it. Thank you!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Having grown up in a very Italian family, one of my favourite things on earth is a simple caprese salad…little flopped over stacks of sliced roma tomatoes, fresh basil leaves, and sliced fresh mozzarella (the freshly made kind that comes in balls in water) drizzled with a little olive oil, salt and pepper. SOOOO good! If anyone has any ideas as to what to replace the mozzarella with, please let me know. :)

Apart from that, if you can make raw hummus, grape or cherry tomatoes dipped in hummus are DELICIOUS!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

oh yeah! The spring onion seed cheese that Zoe posted on here is a really good hummus substitute. I made it for my non raw family and they all thought it was hummus! It’s amazing with tomatoes

• Branwyn32 – Instead of mozzarella in my caprese salads I use sliced avocado. I usually drizzle a bit of balsamic vinegar on as well. I know it’s not raw but I really enjoy the flavor.

• I will second Winona on the ORANGE CHERRY TOMATOES! Absolutely amazingly delicious. I got a huge carton of them from the farmers market and ate almost all of them in one sitting! Nothing says summer better than tomatoes :-)

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

make yummy tabouli!!

rawbie – cut your tomatoes into 1 inch chunks. dehydrate for 2 to 3 days. you decide how dry you want em.

instead of mozzarella make zoe’s cheese with spring onions. mm.

• Thank you Winona, I am definitely going to try that.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

we used to eat them from our garden growing up, marinated in balsamic vinegar and olive oil, with sea salt, oregano, and basil. yum! I can’t stand store bought tomatoes. They are always exposed to cold, and have hardly any flavor, are mealy and pale. you can tell if a tomato got chilly by looking closely at the skin…. it will have tiny translucent white speckles.

• rawbie – I did 20 fist-sized plum tomatoes, quartered, in somthing like 36 hours. 115 for the first hour, then 105 for the rest of the time. The ambient humidity has been pretty high lately. It would take far less time in a dry climate.

I dried them until they were still pliable. They’ll keep will like that in the fridge. All 20 fit comfortably in a qt. size jar. I’ll dry them more before grinding but wanted to get another batch going while tomatoes are still available locally!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Trouble and Winona- thank you for the suggestions! I will definitely be trying with the avocado and Zoe’s cheese, which sounds delicious, especially because I LOVE hummus! I bought a pound of sunflower seeds last night just for that!