heightened food sensitivities when straying?

chicorychicory Raw Newbie

sooooo…. after going mostly raw, I have noticed a few things…. old symptoms I had from my sad days creep back with alarming regularity every weekend, when my hubby comes home.. because i allow myself a couple of non raw items when he is here. I ate an organic, yet processed tomato sauce past saturday and last saturday. Migraines within 20 minutes, facial flushing and burning after 10 min of eating. I also slipped and had a yogurt.. oh the shame :( and same thing happened, except horrible gas, and D. I used to get a lot of facial flushing after eating when SAD… I always assumed it was my blood sugars spiking, because three hours later I would be weak and shaking like a leaf… even though all my blood tests have come back sparkling clean, and no signs of diabetes or hypoglycemia. but now after going raw, it is easily identified and the culprit foods are quite apparent, and the symptoms are more intense on raw as well. After analyzing all the ingredient labels, the one common ingredient in all of the problem foods was MSG! Not in those words though. “nutritional yeast, ’”citric acid” in the tomato sauce, and the “natural flavors” in the yogurt. Now I am worried about my probiotic capsules. Does anyone that takes them or other supplements get MSG reactions from them? They seem to help my tummy quite a bit. My intestines are still quite damaged from the years of unknown celiac abuse :(. I am wondering if the granules inside are contaminated even after removing them from the capsule? apparently, vegetable protein gelatins have it, as well as basically anything with the word enzymes, pectin, kombu, bleh. anyone with similar problems.. or insight? Obviously, i will not be cheating anymore… but after the first 2 times, it was almost like I was testing myself to see if it was really true. After living so long without answers, and then it all seems to be falling into place, I just want to be sure once and for all! I am wondering if this is what has caused my MS, and other strange neurological symptoms like fibromyalgia that were worsening, but seem to now be improving on raw, minus the weekends

Comments

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

I just noticed this post even though this topic was touched on in one of your other posts. I have noticed other sensitivities and SAD eating too.

I wondered if I was becoming what they call “chemical sensitive.” Like so many other members new to raw have stated, my sense of smell is much keener now. I switched to all natural cleaners in my home almost 2 years ago. After 6 months of high-raw I can smell the chemical cleaners in my office building and they make my eyes water. My assistant was cleaning the desk top the other day and borrowed someone’s 409 instead of using my grapefruit cleaner, I walked in the office and almost choked when I smelled it yet a few years ago I cleaned my home with that every week.

I ate macrobiotic for 2 years or so before trying raw but 1 meal a month or so I would eat SAD (usually drive-through food). After I started eating high-raw, my stomach would hurt whenever I did that so I just completely stopped.

When your body is so polluted, it may not be able to discern that another toxic load is on its way in.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Chicory,

I was just going to post a similar question. It seems that every time I eat cooked foods or drink alcohol that it takes my GI system DAYS to get back to normal! It really sucks, and I’m not sure what to do about it. For example, I attended a family wedding and after about a half hour of trying to explain that I DONT eat cheese (they kept bringing me food with dairy in it!!) I ended up with a plate of green beans, potatoes, and broccoli (which probably cost 125 bucks)... and of course, I got wasted with my crazy extended family.

So yesterday and today I have been nauseous, my brain is in a fog, I feel confused and tired, and it seems like my GI system is at a standstill despite drinking lots of juices and water.

This all started when I finally cut out cheese from my life a few months ago. I would have guessed that not eating dairy would be easier on my belly, seems counterintuitive.

I am not planning on giving up, but I also dont want to be so limited. shoot!

• chicory, I always find that whenever I go off my plan, I feel funky, not awful, just funky. One of my clients insisted that I try a buckeye he made by hand. I haven’t had sugar in MONTHS but couldn’t just turn him down, (he’s so sweet) so I had a bite, and man, did my blood sugar hit the roof. I had my first hypoglycemic attack in ages today just from that. Plus, my acid reflux starts to kick back in and my psoriasis flares up. However, I do treat it like a cheat, like when I used to eat dairy, I would consider a nice sundae a big cheat, Annabelle77, don’t limit yourself, be open, listen to your body and go with it. You will probably feel off when you change your diet, but it’s the end result of having a cheat. I wouldn’t beat yourself up over it, life is meant to be enjoyed! You have to balance yourself and eventually you will find you gravitate more toward healthy choices naturally. It will be less difficult as you go.

• Annabelle77Annabelle77 Raw Newbie

Thanks Harmonylia, I completely agree with not limiting myself… The concern I have is that I feel pretty sick when I eat cooked/fried foods or alcohol. I dont want to feel that way, so I have to find a happy medium. My stomach has hurt all day, my body feels stagnant. So i guess i need to find a happy medium; somewhere where I can still eat mostly raw but not feel sick when I dont, you know?