Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Anyone shop regularly at Whole Foods?

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

I went to a Whole Foods in Atlanta last night for the first time in ages. I’d go to the one in NYC occasionally when I lived there, but it was so pricey we used to call it “Whole Paycheck.” :p I was shocked last night when I found it was cheaper here than the Trader Joe’s across the street! They even sold dry goods like raw nuts, grains, raisins and such in bulk, and their agave syrup, cacao nibs, and goji berries were literally HALF the price of Sunfood.com. I was pretty impressed. They also had packaged meal/snack bars by a company called Raw Revolution for $1.89.

Where do you do your raw shopping? What kinda prices do you find?

Comments

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

I half live in France, and RIGHT next to me there is a organic health food store. Their moto is’le bio pour tous’ (organic for all) and they try to keep their prices al low as possible, which is ausome!

And i go there everyday, and i do all my shopping there.

BUT the raw word hasnt quite got out their yet over here yet (though im definatly pushing it!! :) so i can only buy fresh stuff!!!!! (im 100% raw) so my deit right now is really just fruit and veg!! So if i really do want something elso like raw cacoa i buy online!! :( .. which can be expensive so i tend not to!!

I wish i could get cool raw ingredients like that so easily!! :D

• nycgrrlnycgrrl Raw Newbie

I do!! I love it there. I find the prices reasonable too, if you’re CAREFUL about what you buy and watch for sales. I got my cacao nibs two days ago there for 7 dollars for 8 oz, which isn’t bad at all. And the agave is cheap! Their fruit and veggies are about the same price as the nasty gristedes down the street, so I am happy! I still prefer sunfood for my cashews and dark agave, but for produce and other things that i run out of sometimes like cacao, i love WF.

• ajchanterajchanter Raw Newbie

wow, cool!

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

I just got hired for WF and start next month. I am pretty psyched for a discount!!

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Congrats heathermarsbomb! If you don’t mind my asking, how’s the pay? I need a job and would love the discount!

nycgrrl- Oh Gristedes! My roommate and I used to call it Gross titties or Gross testes! :p I think I’m thinking of when I’d shop WF in NYC…obviously the overall cost of everything is higher there, and I was buying preprepared foods…I had a SERIOUS addiction to the Indian hot bar, and the bakery fresh oatmeal cream pie cookie sammiches! Good God those were good. Their organic produce here is far cheaper than the regular stupidmarkets though. I wish they had the cacao for that price here, but being in more homogenized white bread suburban area, I guess there isn’t a big demand for it. They only had a few 1lb. packages and they were $19. Eep!

What part of the city do you live in? I used to live in Brooklyn in Sunset Park (across Greenwood Cemetary from Park Slope). I’m really thinking about moving back in the next several months. I miss it and I hate Atlanta. I kinda like Seattle better than NYC…trees, mountains, clean, a wonderful energy, not nearly as high maintenance as NY, but I have alot more friends and networking contacts in NYC. I can’t decide!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

brawyn – i used to live in Atlanta. I tried HARD to make it work but i hated it with a passion. if you’re moving, think about living in Ithaca, NY. You’ll be 4 hours from NYC and Montreal, in case you need the city. But you’ll enjoy the woods in a peaceful, serene little rural town. Jobs are hard to come by, though!

• queenfluffqueenfluff Raw Newbie

Really cheaper than Trader Joes? Hmm, not out here! The Traders Joes is SO packed with people and so small – I honestly can’t stand going there to save a few cents. I do like it but I hate that they make their stores so tiny.

So yes, Whole Foods is the only place to go around here for what you don’t get at the farmers markets. :) We do have a little health food store that sells a few raw things like tahini and some raw butter but it is mostly vitamins.

• I do shop at Whole Foods regularly. I’ve definitely spent my share of $$ there lol! It depends on the items you choose i guess. I have consumed a lot of their prepared deli foods, having salads, rice, vegetables, soups, chicken, and sushi when i was on SAD. I used to go there several times a week. Now on raw, you can still spend a fair amount on their fruits, veggies and other staples coconut oil, nuts, nori, etc. Guess there isn’t any way around higher costs eating raw unless you grow your own. But i feel that the costs for raw is definitely worth it so that you can have the best for your body and spirit. I just went to the farmer’s market the other day and that is the way to go! organic produce, great prices. i am eating a whole canary melon now as i am writing this:)

• I find the WHOLE FOODS here in Atlanta stock to be the worst ever most of the things look pretty but nutritionally wise all there fruit which most is not organic is half past dead. Sorry I haven’t shopped there in ages, I buy all of my food on Saturday’s from the farmers who take the time to pick fresh fruit and veggies and bring them to the city. None of the food travels for more then 2 hours and it last in my fridge for the “WHOLE” (<- pun intended) week.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

What WF did you go to Branwyn? I always find Trader Joe’s to be cheaper, except for the 1lb containers of greens at WF. I’m getting an apartment in December actually 5 minutes from WF, so I’ll probably start shopping there more often, just for things I can’t find at TJ’s.

• I have only been to a whole foods once here in michigan it is in ann arbor (i live between ann arbor and detroit). I thought is was really expensive amazing and wonderful but expensive.

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

Ardesmond2, which fresh market do you go to? I live about 90 minutes from downtown Atlanta, and can’t afford to drive in every week. I have considered coming in once a month.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Branwyn-also live in ATL orig. from Boston. Great Raw meet-up in sandy Springs area this Sun., if you are interested. Unbelievable food. I do shop at the WF, but I still like Harry’s (now Whole Foods) the best in Alpharetta for produce. The Natural Food Warehouse is also not bad for gojiberries, agave, olive oil,and kombucha if you use those. Nice farmer’s Market in Alpharetta Center Sat. am with unfortunately just one organic vendor. many are “naturally grown”. I grow my own tomatoes and jalapeno peppers as well as all my herbs. I mail order for cacao, maca (don’t know if I’ll order more) and raw nori. Ardes-I also hit a “dead” day at the WF in Duluth one Sun., where the only org leafy lettuce had all the tops cut off! The last 2 weeks-no org.whole head lettuce! All hail-MacIntosh and Mccoun apple season!!! You just can’t get the New Englander out of me!!! Also-I think I’m the only Democrat in ATL!!!!:D. As always-alone on my island.

• It’s all about Whole Foods for me here in Detroit. I live near three Whole Foods Markets and I go there every weekend for my grocery shopping. Yeah, it can get pretty pricey for raw foods, but raw foods are all I buy. When you buy that and eliminate the processed foods, dairy products, meats and other stuff, it pretty much balances out. I find that I actually save much more money living on raw foods. (I absolutely adore raw revolution bars, although I have not had any for a while…It’s time to make another trip to Whole Foods!)There are also other health food stores in the area I love.

Izhpt Hey! Where/when is the meetup? I’d love to come! I live in Roswell but I play a gig at the Harp Irish Pub at 5ish pm (if you like acoustic folk music, come on down!) I feel like Harry’s is more expensive somehow, but it has been some time since I’ve been there. Natural Foods Warehouse…is that the one on Old Alabama Connector next to Spa Sydell? My mom works in that gourmet deli right there. WHERE is there a farmer’s market in Alpharetta?! I knew there was the Riverside market in Roswell but I heard it was really tiny and a bit crap. Btw, for maca, if you still want it…you can get 8oz organic maca at the big Mexican supermarket, Supermercado Pueblo, on Holcomb Bridge Rd for just $3! The have flax seeds, pumpkin seeds, raisins, nuts (including raw pecans still in the shells!), spices, etc for pretty good prices too. None of that stuff is labelled as to organic or not though. Have you gone to any of the pick your own farms in the area at all? I went blueberry picking in Canton last weekend for cheap. Oh and you’re not the only Democrat in ATL! Well, I don’t really associate w/any particular party, but I’m DEFINITELY a bleeding heart Liberal!

HeyEnglish – I went to the one in Sandy Springs on Roswell Road, almost across the street from Trader Joe’s. It’s by no means as cheap as a farmer’s market, but there’s quite a few things that are quite reasonable, and it’s DEFINITELY cheaper for stuff you might otherwise have to mail order, like cacao and goji berries and such. The 1 lb. greens bucket was my mission there, as I got 1 lb of spinach for $5.98, rather than Trader Joe’s, which only had 6oz bags for $2. I would go through a 6 oz bag in a day!

Winona-I’ve never been to Ithaca, but quite like upstate NY in general for the beautiful scenery. The bit of economic depression though that hangs over the area kinda sucks though. :( I desperately need some decent paying opportunities so I can get back in school, and I need a cheap school. It’d be lovely to be that close to Canada though, I’ve wanted to move there for years.

• heyenglishheyenglish Raw Newbie

Branwyn – that WF seems to be outta your way, actually! The one in Alpharetta is much closer to Roswell, just for reference. I work in historic Roswell and it’s only a few miles from there. And my new job is literally 5 minutes away from that one!!!

I’ve heard that the Marietta Square farmer’s market sucks, so I’d definitely avoid that one. I was looking into a Roswell Organic CSA, but it seemed really expensive for the amount of food you get.

Izhpt – I’m also a bleeding heart Liberal! I know who I’d be voting for this year if I had my citizenship.

• Branwyn32—do you know a girl sabina from brooklyn?

i am not a fan of whole foods at all. it’s big, expensive and corporate. luckily living in ny, i don’t have to go. i am a member of my local csa and pick up some extras and staples at commodities, healthfully, live-live or high vibe.

though i did go to wf the other day to buy a lunch tote bag and a water bottle after not being able to find any in other local stores.

if i have to go chain, i prefer trader joes. though they don’t have much of a raw selection and supposedly radiate their organic produce.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I live near the Portland OR area. I go to a health food store called, New Seasons. A lot cheaper than, Whole Foods and better customer service. Plus, they have way more organic produce.

CanarsieiBK I agree with you about, Whole Food being corporate. I have been really erped that they are trying to push out the little guy, and on top of it allowed to do it!

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I work at Whole Foods – Flower department.

I get 20% off on everything in the store…and A LOT of free bananas.

Even with my discount I eat so much produce that I spend a butt-load each week more then I want to…still I try to see it as an investment in health.

Hey MOTH, how well does WF pay? I need a job! :)

and bump so I can find out about this local event Sunday :)

CanarsieBK of course, I know everyone in Brooklyn :p I may be moving back to NYC soon so I might have to ask you about those stores!

• the reason i asked is because i was talkin to her a few weeks ago and she said that she and a co-worker used to call it ‘whole paycheck’...duh

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Branwyn- you can sign up at www.meetup.com or link through www.essentialenergycuisine.com. Jenya is a raw food coach and amazing chef. There are newbies and seasoned raw fooders. At least 25 are attending this week so that’s a lot. You bring all your eating utensils and a plate and cup in case someone brings soup. You make a dish to share for 8-10 people and bring $2 to cover her costs. Sun., Sept. 14th Atlanta and World Vegan raw food Meet-up Marietta, Ga. 30068 1:00-3:00ish. I took the address out due to the troll situation here. Once you reg. on Meet-up the location will show up for you. Farmer’s Market with Great Energy is in Alpharetta Center right off of Roswell Street. Do you know where PURE Tacqueria is? It is just down the same street. there are signs directing you 8-1p on Saturday mornings until October. The Parkside one is crap-like a church bakesale. There wasn’t one vegetable, just Bubba’s Famous Porkrinds! Sorry i did it again.. can’t help myself. Hope to see you at the meet-up. It’s normal people, I promise.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

Branwyn – I make $10 an hour – it’s hardly enough to live on around Boston – but hey, pretty good for a grocery store. Even the 16 year old baggers make 10. I get time and a half on Sundays and on holidays. Haven’t experienced the benefits yet, though.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

My WF has a pretty good organic selection, too. Just about everything you can get conventional, you can also get organic there.

• CalebCaleb Raw Newbie

There really isn’t a Whole Foods close to me or my work. But occasionally I go out of my way to get over there. I do most of my shopping at a local health food store. The prices are slightly higher, but closer to home so I shop their mostly. However their selection is really limited so I find myself going to WF and Sprouts for other things. Sprouts has the best prices on nuts though, I try to get them there. Sadly I can not get everything at one place. I wish there was a Raw Food superstore.

Oh and I found WF organic selection really poor. Most everything was conventional and some of the organic prices were higher than the local mom and pop I shop at. $3 for a freaking avo. They are $1.80 at the local shop.

• MOTHMOTH Raw Newbie

I wish I could find a ‘mom and pop’ type of organic store…alas, where I am at, this is not so.

• iknikn

I’ve never been at Whole Foods. We have one close by, but never got the chance to go there. I go to the farmer’s market every Saturday and once a month to a small health food store. They have 20% off every first Tuesday of the month.

• I shop there occasionally, but only if I happen to be near there, which is a 30 minute drive from where I live. We pick up our bin of organic produce from our CSA every Friday night, and then we go to the farmer’s market (a short walk from our condo) every Sunday to supplement, mostly for fruit, and a few extra veggies or herbs I don’t have. My CSA has wheat berries for purchase, and we don’t eat nuts. So the CSA and Farmer’s Market takes care of our weekly shopping.

A couple of times/month I might need some herbal remedies, or raw cacao or something, and I like to support my local small health food store.

• I admit, I’m an addict and spend way too much moolah there, but I love that store. I am trying to shop at Trader Joes more now but they don’t have such great produce.

• pianissimapianissima Raw Newbie

moth—my friend and her gf live in boston and at one point were buying all their produce from a co=op. i’d google (or better yet “blackle”) co-ops in boston.