RUSSELL JAMES NEW RECIPE

So, i just recieve an email from Russell James’ site featuring a new recipes – carrot & orange cake. I’ve never actually attempted a raw carrot cake before, but i saw this picture and thought it looked great! And, i am supposed to make a raw dessert to bring with us to a friends for tomorrow and i couldn’t find the young coconuts i needed to make something else… so, i made his new creation. It’s in the dehydrator now but if the final product tastes as good as the “batter” did, then i’m sure this is a winner! My only dilemna is using cashews for the cream cheese frosting – i don’t like to use cashews. Has anyone tried making frosting with pine nuts? If so, please let me know how this turned out. Once the cake is “dried”, i will let you know how it came out! I’m sure it will be amazing!!!

Comments

• We’ve replaced cashews with walnuts for whipped cream. I would think it would be similiar for cream cheese. Plus, the flavor would probably go well with your carrot cake. Those flavors make me think of autumn. I will have to check the recipe out. It sounds heavenly!

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Now, i wish i had walnuts on hand :) I have about a 1/2 cup left of pecans and i have some pine nuts… hmmmm…. maybe i’ll try both together and just see how it turns out. Thanks for letting me know about the walnuts!!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Oh carrie- i just made this-sooo simple and perrfect! I do not use cashews either and I subbed walnuts for the frosting. It is out of this world!!!! I wanted to thank Dancing Raw. He had sent a link this week to a magazine and that led me to another link www.therawdessert.com and to Russell James’ site eventually and the free e-magazine with the carrot cake! Whew! I’m absolutely bringing it to the next potluck! I made the date paste with water.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

I’ll bet Russell James’ cake is really good…
    Hannah.Hunnicutt also posted an excellent carrot cake on this site a couple of months ago. I think she said she found it at the rawtable.com. It really is wonderful and much better than the SAD version
    http://goneraw.com/recipes/4611-carrot-cake
    I think both recipes use cashew in the icing, this recipe uses some in the cake too, but I believe that one could substitute another nut (like walnuts – as stated above)
    Anyway, bon appetit! :)

• carrie6292carrie6292 Raw Newbie

Oh, it was good However, it was a little overpowering with the Nutmeg. When i make it again, i will cut the Nutmeg and Spices in Half. The dehydrating really brings out the flavors of the spices… Other than that, it was delicious and really didn’t even need an icing. I bet it would be good with just some Coconut Butter ontop. Thats what i’ll do next time :) Or maybe i’ll make my own coconut icing…

Izhpt – i made the date paste too and i was super excited because i had never been able to do that before – i have a cheapy blender. But, with his recipe, it was super easy to do! I cannot wait to make the curry pillows too!!!!! Yum!