Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

MSG

I dedicate this to Chicory and the thread she started called “wish me luck!!!”.

Thank you for rising our awareness and educating our minds!

So I have been wanting to find more about MSG.

A possible list to refer to. But what I found instead was a book. A book that many of us might feel the need to read.

The name of the book – “The Slow Poisoning of America” by John Erb

You can read more about this book at these two links….

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/217300…

http://www.rense.com/general52/msg.htm

Here is an interesting site….Truth in Labeling...

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/nomsg.html

Here are the other few I ran across that have created lists on them.

Hidden Sources of Processed Free Glutamic Acid (MSG)

http://www.truthinlabeling.org/hiddensources.html

Hidden Names for MSG

http://www.msgmyth.com/hidename.htm

Pan down on this list and look towards the end of it…What Food’s to Avoid

http://www.msgtruth.org/avoid.htm

I know we all like quick answers and most do not have time to click on all the links, but when you do have time, you might want to take a look. You might be surprised by what you find.

Comments

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

Thanks so much for the information! Avoiding MSG can be so tricky. But does this mean that sea weed should be avoided as well, since it is the original source of free glutamic acid?

• lindsaylou -

I found this excerpt from another book called Battling the MSG Myth

http://www.msgmyth.com/msg.htm

I saw the seaweed and had the same question. I am hoping someone on GR has or knows more information.

• FruginiFrugini Raw Newbie

I’m still confused. Does this mean that seaweed is okay because it contains a different kind of glutamic acid? The other site suggested avoiding kombu or carageenan, and these are both seaweeds. I was hoping to start eating more seaweed because they are so high in nutrients, but I don’t want to if they are an MSG-like substance.

• I would stay away from the komku and carageenan. But I do not have a true answer for the seaweed question. For it is the same question, I am hoping someone else will have more information on. For our family tends to have seaweed cravings every once in awhile.

I did not see anything threatening on the back of our dulse. But it could come down to just how sensitive you are to it in seaweed.

We use to eat seaweed a lot when we first went raw. Now we do not eat nearly as much though.

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

from what I have been reading, manufactured free glutamic acid is the dangerous one. Manufactured meaning, it was either grown on bacteria cultures, or prepared using a hydrocloric acid bath. It probably all boils down to how sensitive you are. I don’t usually eat seaweeds, so not sure if it would give me a reaction or not. Perhaps it is all in how the seaweed is processed? If raw, the glutamic acid molecules would probably be intact, and therefore not cause a reaction. Natural glutamic acid is freed in our bodies in the intestines without trouble

• Chicory – I think you might be right. It probably does depend on how it was processed…

L-glutamic acid = naturally occuring

or

D-glutamic acid = chemically altered/processed

I did read some information from some other sites where some people were not bothered by it and others had reactions. I think it does come down to how sensitive you are as well.

• Thank you for posting this and all your hard work researching things SimplyRaw! You are always so wonderful at posting helpful and enlightening info that you have researched for all of us to benefit from.

• heathermarsbombheathermarsbomb Raw Newbie

Red Clover Blocks Neurological Damage From MSG by Barbara L. Minton (see all articles by this author)

(NaturalNews) If you are into healthful eating, it can be tough when friends or family want to go out to the local restaurant to eat. You know most of the food there is laced with monosodium glutamate (MSG), and this knowledge can really spoil your fun. Now a new study has found that pre-treating yourself with a supplement of red clover before you go out can nullify the potential for brain damage from MSG.

The study

The June 5, 2008 edition of Phytomedicine reports a study based on an idea generated by the knowledge that estrogen has been shown to affect neuronal growth, differentiation and survival. Genistein, diadzein and other isoflavones have been shown to mimic the pharmacological actions of the steroid estrogen, due to their similarity of structure. So, researchers hypothesized that the natural mixture of phytoestrogenic isoflavones found in red clover could protect the brain from glutamate toxicity. They used a human cortical cell line to test the efficacy of the red clover. Neuronal viability was determined and neuronal membrane damage was quantitatively measured.

The results obtained indicated that exposure of the cell cultures to glutamate resulted in concentration-dependent decreases in neuron viability. Concentrations of glutamate ranging from 0.01 to 5 mm were toxic to the cultures. However, when the cells were pretreated with 0.5, 1 and 2 mug/ml of the isoflavone enriched fraction from red clover, there was a significantly increased cell survival and significantly decreased release of cellular lactate dehydrogenase, an indicator of cell damage. This indicates that the neurons treated with red clover isoflavones were protected from the cell death induced by glutamate exposure. In addition, the pretreatment with the isoflavone enriched fraction prevented the morphological disruption caused by glutamate as shown in microscopic inspection.

About MSG

MSG is a food additive found in almost all commercially prepared food. It supercharges the taste of food, but not in the way you would think. MSG fools your brain into thinking the food you’re eating tastes really great. MSG is an excitotoxin to the brain. When we consume food containing MSG, it excites the brain into the mass production of dopamine, creating a drug rush that gives us a brief sensation of well being. And because MSG is highly addictive, we keep coming back for more and end up overeating. In the process, we end up destroying our brain cells.

Food processors love MSG because it makes cheap ingredients taste great. And because it comes from an amino acid, it can be added to foods labeled ‘natural’ or ‘organic’. It’s very hard to find any canned or packaged soup, dried soup mixes, prepared meals, fast food, junk food, or Chinese food that does not contain MSG. It’s in prepared gravy, salad dressing, seasoning blends and mixes, canned beans, bullion cubes, broths, chili and stews. Stores that cater to the health conscious carry many of these MSG containing items.

Because the food buying public does not want to consume MSG, food processors have gone to extremes to be sure that you don’t know it is in their products, and this has been allowed by the FDA. You will seldom see MSG listed on the label, because it is disguised. Here are the names of some of the disguises:

Hydrolyzed vegetable protein, autolyzed vegetable protein, textured vegetable protein, hydrolyzed yeast extract, autolyzed yeast extract, plant protein extract, sodium caseinate, calcium caseinate, yeast extract, textured whey protein, natural flavor.

Most processed food for children also contains high levels of MSG, such as canned or packaged spaghetti, alphabet soup and chicken noodle soup, microwavable cups, packaged dinners and much more. A meal of this food can raise the blood level of excitotoxins to a value proven in primates to destroy brain cells. A child’s brain is four times more sensitive to damage by excitotoxins than is the brain of an adult.

About Red Clover

Red clover is a wild perennial herb that grows in meadows throughout Europe and Asia, and is now naturalized in North America. It’s a close relative of the clover you find in your front yard. The red flowers offer the therapeutic potential and are dried for use. They are sweet to eat.

Red clover is a valuable source of nutrients including calcium, chromium, magnesium, niacin, phosphorus, potassium, thiamine, and vitamin C. Its isoflavones are the source of the phytoestrogens in the above noted study, water soluble chemicals that act like estrogens in the body because of their ability to fit into estrogen receptors.

Isoflavones are a class of organic compounds and biomolecules with antioxidant properties. They are produced from a branch of the general phenylpropanoid pathway which produces all flavonoid compounds in higher order plants.

According to Phyllis and James Balch in Prescription for Nutritional Healing, the isoflavonoids in red clover fight infection, suppress appetite, and purify the blood. They have expectorant, antispasmodic, and relaxing effects, and are good for bacterial infection and inflamed lungs. They are also beneficial for inflammatory bowel disorders, kidney problems, liver disease, skin disorders, and a weakened immune system.

Red clover has been a traditional herbal treatment for cancer due to its ability to stimulate the immune system. Recent research has found evidence that it prevents the growth of cancer cells and is highly effective in treatment for prostate and liver health. Red clover is frequently prescribed by natural healers as a treatment and preventative for breast cancer because of its ability to fit into estrogen receptors in the breast.

Some studies have also suggested that the red clover isoflavones may slow bone loss and even boost bone mineral density in pre and perimenopausal women. It may protect against heart disease in several ways, and has been associated with an increase in HDL cholesterol in pre and postmenopausal women. One study found that menopausal women who took red clover supplements had more flexible and stronger arteries. Red clover may also have blood thinning properties which help prevent blood clots. It also appears to improve blood flow.

Supplementing with red clover

No serious side effects from red clover have been reported in humans. Infertility has been noted in grazing animals that consume large quantities.

Red clover is available as teas, tinctures, tablets, capsules, liquid extracts, and extracts standardized to specific isoflavone content. It may also be prepared as an ointment for psoriasis, eczema, and rashes. Whole herb supplements are generally considered to be the most conservative way to supplement. Organic red clover supplements are available from the large online supplement stores and are highly affordable.

• sorry for reviving an old thread, but i am curious about this very topic.

someone at work told me tonight that she read a site (sounds like the ones listed) that showed the hidden names and brands that have msg...

thing is, she said that all packaged spices contain msg. Do they really? Sometimes I use spices from the grocery store... cumin, garlic powder, caynne pepper, etc... the ones i buy only list whatever spice it is as an ingredient. Should i be worried?

These are really the only things i use right now that arent raw. But i just love the hummus recipe on this site, and i dont know how to make ground cumin and stuff like that.

Here i thought i was doing really well! But i dont want to use these products if there's a chance they might have crap in them that isnt good for me.

anyone know?

• if you are buying the really cheap ground spices, they may contain additives, and can even be irradiated, which is really bad.

if you are buying organic, nothing to worry about. frontier brand is good. whole foods doesnt sell irradiated spices.

http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/nutrition/irradiation.php

as for the seaweed debate - if its cooked, it has MSG. if raw, no.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

most seaweed products should be completely fine ive not heard of many that contain MSG.

glutamic acid naturally occuring is different than MSG which is an artificial sodium salt.

• Personally I avoid MSG, the food additive. Toxic crap is toxic in my opinion. Although I do not see a problem with consuming seaweed. Certain kinds of seaweed are the regular staple of a Macrobiotic diet and many chronic illnesses have been cured and prevented on this diet. But as with other "healthy" foods , there are always some people who have allergic reactions. So its pretty simple, if you have a reaction to seaweed, then stay away from it.

• powerliferpowerlifer Raw Newbie

allergies to seaweed are quite uncommon but yeah as you say if your allergic to anything then avoid. but seaweeds are an amazing food rich in minerals especially iodine which has a host of benefits other than thyroid gland health, the fibre acts as a prebiotic to feed your good flora, the vitamin b's restore nervous function, good for adrenals and thyroid, the polysaccharides have to be proven to be anti-cancer and immune stimulative, seaweeds detox heavy metals.

so yeah there one of my fave foods lol.