Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Being Raw without the Nuts

Hey everyone, just wondering if there are a lot of raw foodists who don’t eat nuts or just eat minimal amounts? I’m having a really tough time finding recipes that don’t call for nuts. I’m not allergic, nor do I want to eliminate them from my diet-I just feel as if I’m consuming too many.

Comments

• yes! Me too; my daughter is allergic to nuts and I was going so crazy with eating them all the time that she was breaking out in hives all summer! So all nuts and most seeds are now out of my house, and I won’t bring them back in!

I turned to The 80/10/10 Diet, by Dr. Douglas Graham – read the book. It is liberating to realize that all the nutrients that we need are found in eating mostly fruit, some veggies, and a tiny bit of overt fat. I’m getting my extra fat from coconut and avocados, and don’t need nuts.

Sauces and dips can be blended with veggies, breads can be made with sprouted grains blended with dates and fruit/veggies/spices. You don’t need to eat so many nuts, and in fact so much overt fat is not good for you. These recipes are great for occasional gourmet eating, but you don’t want to overdo it!

Come over to our 80/10/10 support group thread for some ideas about eating more simply, without so many nuts/seeds. :)

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

Me and Chris don’t use nuts. We quit them about 3 months ago. Most nuts aren’t raw, and we have found that the recipes we always make and Love taste better when we leave the nuts out, or substitute them.

We use coconut butter/oil, sprouted sunflower seeds, Raw olive oil, hemp oil, banana and avocado in place of nuts. Banana is a real surprise. It is amazing in creamy salad dressings where recipes call for cashews, almonds or macadamaias

I feel a lot better for it too, and when I do eat nuts like at the Potluck, I really feel them in my stomach like a brick!

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

I never eat nuts. I’m not allergic and I have nothing against them but I just never buy them for some reason. I have a wonderful diet and am never hungry!

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I am trying to cut back on nuts due to the price they have soared to, but I have 10 raw recipe books that hit heavy on nuts. I know there are some recipes here that use grains, but I hope our gone raw “chefs”, will give us more recipes using grains and seeds.

• I just read that most of the nuts I use are not raw. I eat mostly fruit and veggies but eat some nuts to fill me up (after a few bananas). I slipped up recently and now I am craving food again. I was eating a lot less and not hungry. Now I keep eating even when I am not hungry. So now I will look into raw nuts more because I have read on some sites that there nuts are never heated over a certain temperature and the workers use a special tool to get the nuts out of the shell. Otherwise I can only eat pine nuts and walnuts (no hazelnuts around here).

• bittbitt Raw Newbie

i only really do them in fancy desserts. i rely more on seeds such as sunflower, hemp and sesame.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

I just realised that I still eat coconut oil and that is a nut, even though I think of myself as nut free. I never ‘see’ it as a nut though! It doesn’t have a bad effect on me like other nuts can though, maybe because it is in oil form.

• I absolutely love almost all nuts, but they really make my stomach hurt. Sometimes I can handle a little, but overall I’m better without them. The trail mix aisle at trader joe’s makes me sad :( but I sacrifice them for the sake of feeling good, oh and for my wallet because they are pricey!

• I also like to follow main principles of 80/10/10. I experimented on myself with not only nuts but all fatty stuff. And for me definitely little amount of fat or almost none is absolutely better. I have a very sensitive liver and skin. So thous two together always show me what they think about my diet. I also do not use salt, soysauce, oils and juices. It is best to eat whole things not just some parts. For me it definitely help to avoid cravings. So most of recipes posted on this site are over fat for me. Sometimes I post my own recipes but seems they do not get that much attention because they luck all those nuts, oils, salts, dehydrators and other fancy stuff.

• I must say—in response to Zoe’s comment about coconuts I feel rather DUMB JUST REALIZING that coconuts are nuts.

Wow, I’ve always classified them as a type of fruit. But that makes sense. I’m in sheer amazement with myself right now. :O

• rawlizardrawlizard Raw Newbie

My understading is that coconuts are not nuts, it is actually a fruit, despite the “nut” ending. At least that is what the doctor of my highly nut-allergic daughter said when I ask him if coconut poses a problem for her.

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Zoe, I have noticed your comments of late about not eating nuts. I’ve looked through some of your recipes and I am wondering if you have any plans to edit your old ones, substituting the nuts, or adding new ones. I for one would really appreciate it. I really need to watch my nut intake, but I also need to watch my fat intake. I would be soooooooooo appreciative of any recipes you have that don’t have nuts and not too much fat. Although I have been a raw foodist since 1999, I still struggle with my weight, which yo-yos up and down. I know this is not good, whether it is on a SAD diet or raw food diet. I don’t typically do grains, but I am considering adding them as I never seem to feel satisfied and then I crave high fat food. It is a vicious cycle and I am so ready for it to end. I am searching for another way and hope to find something that leaves me satisfied and at a healthy and consistent weight.

Hmmm. . . maybe I should have started another thread. Oh well.

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

You can get unshelled nuts that are really raw, but you have to get them in the shell. Sunfood, rawguru, etc, NONE of it’s raw. I ordered some nuts from Canada so I’m waiting to get them still. People find themselves tapering off of nuts because they aren’t raw. Plus they absorb toxins after the shelling process. I’ll tell you more about if it you want.

By the way, people weren’t meant to eat seeds or grains. I don’t think we should get back into that. I will be posting recipes with more nuts, but I would be using truly raw, unshelled nuts, in small amounts of course still. But, I have a HORRIBLE time with seeds and grains, they just sit in my GI tract forever.

I’m glad there are people that see that the nuts aren’t raw, and that Sunfood just can’t get around that.

That being said, I’m not sure. I will wait and see what these nuts turn out like. I’m just assuming it will be better, but like anything I can’t be sure. :)

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I find myself eating avocados more often, too! They are like a raw vegan egg but so much better. ;)