Sugarpie Pumpkin?

I am fairly new to the raw lifestyle. I joined a CSA and just received my first box which included a sugarpie pumpkin. What in the heck am I going to do with this thing? Any ideas?

Comments

• There are some great pumpkin pie recipes here! That’s what I’d do with a sugarpie pumpkin – as the name suggests they are sweet.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Make a raw pumpkin pie, get on search for all the dessert recipes using pumpkin or squash. Make noodles out of it and cover it with a raw cheesy white sauce. If you have a dehydrator make pumpkin muffins or bread.

• Thanks Shazam … maybe I should get a little more specific with my question b/c I have never even touched a real pumpkin before. I see recipes for pumpkin puree but how do I make that? Is it okay to eat raw pumpkin? If I can figure out how to make the puree, can I freeze it? I’ve never been much of cook so I’m pretty lost. In fact, I’m truly considering just putting it on the coffee table for decoration :-)

• I don’t know what a sugarpie pumpkin is, but it sure sounds cute. =]

• It looks like a plain, small pumpkin to me.

• ananya, to make the puree, cut the pumpkin in half, (like you would a squash) and take the seeds out. (Save the seeds, they are nummy) Cut out the inner pumpkin from the shell like outer covering and then chop up the meat really well. Put the pieces in a blender (I actually have used my magic bullet) and blend, you can add a tad bit of water to get it going, but it just blends to a pulp. I have dehydrated my pumpkin pieces a bit to soften them before as well. You can freeze the pulp as well.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Ohh dont use a real pie pumpkin for table decor. To make sure you have a real pie pumpkin. It will be about 4-5 pounds, tender skin, dark orange flesh, orangy skin. round shape,like a Cinderella pumpkin shape. The flesh will be fine in texture and sweeter than most squash.

To puree: peel, seed, cut in small pieces. Use a blender with a bit of water or use your food processor. Freeze. You could also grate some and mix it in with carrot slaw. It also makes a good warm pumpkin soup.(blending idea)See recipes under soups.

Yes, you can eat raw pumpkin, .Pumpkin, is related to acorn squash,delicata sq.and zucchini and summer squash. All these squash will cross pollinat one another.

• Thanks for the explanations, guys … I will give it a try!