Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

carrot tops

Can you eat them? I get my carrots from the farmer’s market with the greens still attached. I hate throwing them away, so can I put them in a smoothie or do something else with them?

Comments

• Oh my glitter! USE THEM! They are highly nutritious!!! Juice them like you would parsley. I throw the entire carrot in there and juice them together, sometimes add other veggies too. You should do smoothies with them – they are bitter so sweeten them up some! I am sure you could make a nice salad and use them but just remember: bitter. When I do bitter salads, usually with dandelion greens, I use a sweet tahini dressing I make with black seasame, olive oil, lemon, raw honey and herbs.

• Thanks RawDance! I will put them in my green smoothie in the morning along with kale, maybe spinach, and lots of sweet fruit. I kind of want to try it now, but I’m not hungry, hehe.

• waterbaby12347waterbaby12347 Raw Newbie

Hey Johnny, good to see you on again!!!

Quiora~ I’ve wanted the answer to this for a long time, and Johnny is right,,, Here’s some interesting facts..

For anyone eating on the run, one cup of fresh carrot juice can offer a quick energy boost with its 2 grams of protein, 2 grams of fiber, and only 94 calories. The beta carotene fix measures up 25,833 IU along with a healthy dose of vitamins B1, B2, B3, B6 and 9 mcg of folic acid. A hearty 56.6 mg of calcium and 689 mg of potassium go hand in hand with 20.1 mg. of vitamin C and a bit of iron and zinc in addition.

Carrot tops are an outstanding source of chlorophyll, the green pigment that studies have shown to combat the growth of tumors. Chlorophyll contains cleansing properties that purify the blood, lymph nodes, and adrenal glands. Scientists have been unable to synthesize chlorophyll in the laboratory, but green plant foods contain sufficient quantities to protect the human body.

Potent antioxidants are among carrots’ best features. These include the monoterpenes that protect against heart disease and cancer and polyacetylenes that inhibit tumor growth. The beta carotene prevents cataracts and premature aging.

Carrots contain a small amount of vitamin K, a fat-soluble vitamin that helps with blood clotting and prevents the body from losing calcium loss through urination.

• I always thought they were toxic. That’s great news..I will start juicing them along with my carrots.

• The tops have more nutrients than the actual carrot lol.

• RubyLaineRubyLaine Raw Newbie

Just wondering, can you do this with celery tops also? I know they are edible but how do they taste?

• chicorychicory Raw Newbie

as long as you don’t mean the comedian, I think you will be fine lol

• jellibijellibi Raw Newbie

I researched this awhile ago and I found a lot of literature that said that carrot tops were toxic. However, since I had been eating them for sometime already and was feeling fine, I continued to eat them. Maybe use caution feeding them to children. My daughter ate some in green smoothies and was fine, but you might want to be careful with large amounts because of the controversy out there :)

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I LOVE carrot tops! I hardly ever eat the carrots; I just give them to my mom or my rabbit & I use the tops. :) When I thin the little carrots from my garden, I use the tops chopped up in salads, and when they’re bigger, I think they work better in juice or smoothies, because they seem a little tough, but I still sometimes use them in salads that way, too – I just cut them pretty small & chew well. I may have to go get some to add to my juice, now that this thread reminded me of it – thanks!