Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Please read this article about raw nuts!

2»

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Simple: If they sprout, they’re raw. If not, they’re cooked. I may be wrong, but I have never been able to sprout an almond or cashew from them, but people say they sprout tails with almonds and cashews from Real Raw Food. Sunfood I might trust, but Real Raw Food is completely reliable. But, then again, maybe they don’t have to be sproutable to be raw?

• Quiora …GREAT if your cashews sprouted. then your trader joes gets them from a good source. my trader joes does not and has even gone so far as to tell me the cashews were not REALLY raw. when i asked if any of the other ‘raw’ nuts were raw the employee i was talking with expressed doubts they were.

i am going to check on my local whole foods to see what they have that might be REALLY raw. truth is… i dont really trust anyone unless they are raw foodists themselves. ‘raw from the farm’ and ‘real raw foods’ are. i know there are others too but i cant think of their names.

lucky you that you actually got real raw cashews. i am jealous.

Oh, well, shrugs no need to be jealous!! If it turns out it’s really good quality, I’m send a full report on everything I ordered! Can’t wait to try that almond butter. Then you can decide on whether or not you want to spend the hundred dollar minimum.

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

One thing to keep in mind is that many foods might still be raw, but the lifeforce has been depleted. For example, a bunch of kale at the co-op picked two weeks ago, is still raw, but the lifeforce, including the enzymes, have been largely depleted.

Also, I wonder if some nuts will not sprout, regardless of whether they are raw or not. Has anyone here ever been to sprout walnuts? Or Brazil nuts? I’d like to hear any stories any of you might have. :)

You might be right achin70. Very good point.

Hmm, very good question. I think, but I’m not sure, that walnuts can sprout. But I don’t think any others can sprout. I’m not sure. Love to hear stories as well!

• One would think that all nuts should sprout, because they are the seeds of the plant that they come from.

Maybe not. Click What a Raw Fooder Should Know About Nuts

• achin70achin70 Raw Newbie

That’s great info, Mr. Mickmaster! :)

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Asda in the uk also now has raw “kentish cobnuts” you can tell they are raw as they still have the leaves around the nuts attached and green, they are like greenish big fresh hazelnuts and are very good. Also is the issue of food irradiation, this would kill the nut and anything on it, but would not cook the nut. however nut is dead :-( and will not sprout… Don’t know if they do irradiate nuts but other food gets irradiated so it is a posibility.