Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Quick recipes when starving

OK, I am on a role with my posts today! Lots of questions because I feel I am on the verge of introducing some cooked foods into my life again. I have only been raw for a few months so I want to give it every chance before I cave.

There are days when I don’t have anything prepared and I need to throw something together OTHER THAN A SALAD perhaps because I had already eaten 12 million that week. Does anyone have any favorite, quick, tasty recipes they might share or direct me to?

Seems like a lot of people in the raw community can be satisfied with lettuce for meals every day, but I am simply not that kind of person. I like to eat…too much admittedly, but I will get discouraged if I am to rely on lettuce and carrot sticks and I don’t always have time for the great meals that raw ones require.

FYI – I tend to rely on things like zuccinni pasta with pesto or pad thai sauce, sushi, pate’s on crackers as some examples. Sometimes if I am desperate and have not time or anything prepared, I will just take a nori sheet, stuff lettuce and avocado in it, and call it a meal.

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

Zoe’s Spring Onion Seed Cheese! It’s amazing as a veggie or cracker dip and also good on salads or lettuce wraps. I eat this stuff all the time.

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

I coarsely blend in my food processor: carrots, green onions, cashews, nutritional yeast or herbs (dill or parsley), salt, lemon. Easy!

I VERY frequently make cashew crusts (cashews ground in coffee grinder, agave) And put anything on it. I either slice berries or pears or peaches to put on it, or I blend the berries with agave then put it on the crust in a bowl. I let it chill 1 hour in the freezer and eat it.

These can hardly be called recipes – they take about 10 minutes each, and they’re SOOOO yummy with infinite variations! These are the only ‘recipes’ i’ve made – every day 3 weeks, haha, and i haven’t gotten tired of them yet! blackberry, strawberry, boysenberry, etc.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

thanx Winona ~ the carrot/cashew w/green onions etc… sounds great.
    :)

• Thanks troubles and Winona. Both sound great. I sometimes forget about just wrapping stuff and I can do both these recipes in romaine leaves.

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I made Matt Amsden’s Cauliflower Couscous, but used less oil, less salt and threw in some garlic. It was outstanding. It made a ton. Three of us ate it for dinner as a side dish one night, then I ate the leftovers for dinners for the next two nights, using lettuce as wraps. That, plus some zucchini hummus and veggies for dipping and I have a hearty non-salad meal. Also, when I’m alone and don’t want a salad, I make a lot of different blender soups. Gazpacho or a soup of greens and avocado or even a creamy mushroom soup tide me over nicely. If I’m snackish later, there’s always a seed or nut cheese waiting for me in the refrigerator. I’ve mentioned this one in another post, but as a zucchini noodle sauce, a quick recipe is an avocado, the juice of a ruby red grapefruit, as much garlic as you enjoy, a handful of fresh basil leaves and sea salt and black pepper to taste. I drizzle truffle scented olive oil on top, but that’s just pure decadence. ;-D

• green girlgreen girl Raw Newbie

Green Smoothies! If you have a blender it takes two minutes to throw some greens and fruit in a blender. These are my answer to pretty much everything. I really feel for me that a raw diet would be impossible to maintain if these weren’t a big part of it. Check out Green for Life by Victoria Boutenko for info and recipes. Also, if you google green smoothies you can find some great recipes as well. My favorite is half a blender of spinach, 1 cup of mango, 2 bananas and some filtered water.

• sweetpeasweetpea Raw Newbie

Put some veggies in the food processor and a handful of pine nuts,add a little salt and process. Warm in a pan, drizzle olive oil over if you want more fat.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

my sunflower sourcream recipe is immediate too :) for pouring all over the contents of those romain wraps, with a lovely slice or two of avocado for protein, mmmmm im getting hungry now :P

• dodododo Raw Newbie

and im just about to order some cocao nibs so i can make chocolate desert smoothies mmmmmmm

another tip is i always try to have something stodgy like buck wheat, wheat grain, quinoa etc soaking or sprouting in the kitchen, and something lighter like alfalfa or broccolli sprouts, they stay fresh for days if you change the water and if you decide to sprout them and give them a really good drain at the end they will stay fresh in the fridge for days after that too. then you always have the ingrediants to just throw something together, they can turn anyway you like by what you add, add an oil to bring it together, then go for a few chopped veg, herbs and spices, go chinese, go indian, chuck in some seeds etc, soooo versatile, raw fast food :P

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

My current fave comfort food is avocado, green apple, basil and a garlicky/mayonaise type sauce. I make the sauce with sunflower seed sprouts, garlic, acv, lemon juice, dates and salt. Could wrap it in a leuttice leaf. Sometimes I put loads of curry powder on it too.

• I have made walnut tacos a few times. I have soaked walnuts for a couple of hours (when I finally think to start dinner) and make pico de galo to go on the drained walnuts. You could even pick up pre-made raw salsa. I put it on romaine leaves and add cashew cheese when I have it.

• angie207angie207 Raw Master

I like to keep kelp noodles on hand in the fridge. They usually are dated several months away, so I can buy several at a time. Then I make a simple sauce out of pine nuts or cashews, to put on the noodles & have dinner in a hurry. Some other things I like to do are to keep any or all of the following always on hand: a seed cheese, fresh or dried fruit, and a dessert. That way if I’m really starving or pressed for time, there is always something ready to grab.

• @dodo: I saw you’re in Germany, and I read in this thread that you’re ordering cacao nibs. Would you share where you’re ordering? I’m in Berlin, and I often don’t know where to get raw ingredients. Thanks! Any Advice is very much appreciated.

• I second the green smoothie idea. Buckwheaties also work well – make it “cereal” with nut milk, nuts, shredded coconut, cinnamon, dried fruit. If you have Buckwheaties on hand, it takes about 120 seconds to get this together.

Nut butter with fruit, agave, seeds, etc. is another GREAT and FAST tummy saver. Take a coffee cup and throw in a couple of TBSPs of nut butter, agave to taste, then either dried cherries, shredded cnut, vanilla and a pinch of salt, or sunflower seeds, pepitas and raisins, or just cacao nibs.

Quick, decadent, FILLING! Of yeah, and you could just put nut butter on apple slices.

• randommararandommara Raw Newbie

Great topic! I need this info too. I’d say guacamole is always a quick option. I buy a lot of avocados when they’re on sale and move them to the fridge as the ripen. An easy yummy meal is to fill large mushroom caps with guac and then top with sliced tomato. For guac I usually just slightly mash the avocados with a bit of sea salt and call it a day. Tasty!