Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Spirulina, blue green algae, kelp noodles...Help!

Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Where does one find these things, and how do you eat them? The organic vegetarian co-op market here (Sevananda in Little 5 for the other Atlanta folks) has spirulina in powder form and it’s also $25/pound! Is this how you normally get algaes? I assumed it would be something refrigerated in some sort of liquid. And is it all so expensive? I can’t afford that!

What about kelp noodles? No sign of them anywhere. Are they refrigerated? I’m assuming I should look for an Asian market?

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

Branwyn32~ The kelp noodles are in the fridge section in stores. To find where you can get them in your area or to mail order them, contact Sea Triangle, the manufacturer or Goldmine for mail ordering single packages. Happy noodling.

• Branwyn32Branwyn32 Raw Newbie

Thanks! Much appreciated :)

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Whole Foods has them.

Really?! Where do they normally keep them in your WF? I mean in a fridge obviously but near what other items?

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Blue Green Algae: http://www.crystalalgae.com

It may seem a bit expensive but you should order the 2 Pound Loose Powder and it’s the cheapest your gonna get for good quality. ANYWHERE. You won’t find any better algae! I always order from the. I find I get constipated from other popular brands. If this seems too expensive, well you just can’t get better prices than that for the same quality.

EDIT: Some health food stores sell frozen E3Live Wild Blue Green Algae. This might work as well, but I don’t think WF sells it.

• Could I just get algae, dry it, and grind it up into powder?

Thanks everyone for the tips!

meloe, what do you mean by just get algae? Like skim it off a pond or something? If so, I would definitely advise against that. I’m not sure how safe that is, as water sources in the wild, no matter how pretty and clean they might look, can have all manner of naturally occuring aquatic parasites and microorganisms that could wreak havoc on your body and make you extremely ill.

Also, algae you could skim off a pond usually accumulates in standing (or very close to standing) water. Standing water is almost always contaminated…well known wilderness survival rule is if you have to drink unpurified water, ONLY drink flowing water. I’m not talking about contaminated like pesticides, but naturally occuring things in animal excrete, rotting remains of dead animals, etc.

I don’t know what effect dehydration would have on any of these microorganisms, but I definitely wouldn’t risk it under any circumstance. Plus while alot of people can identify wild plants, I don’t know any laymen who can identify different species of algae, with or without the aid of a microscope…I don’t know much about algaes, but who knows if all of them are safe for human consumption, on top of whatever else is living in there.

Spirulina we buy, FTR, I know for a fact is farmed commercially. The process is kinda cool, I know I saw a blip about it on the Travel Channel once.

yup, never skim it off a pond.

• taste some AFA (blue green algae) and tell me what you think of it… I tried it out for a little while telling myself I would get use to it, it’s very healthy so I have to use it. If something is very healthy for our bodies don’t you think that we would enjoy it?

Do some serious research on the consumption of it, get past all of the hype and straight to the studies.

AFA b12 analog for starters…

Sea food is not for human consumption, eat it fresh with a pure mouth and tell me how satiating it is…. Mmmmmmmmm, alagae, sounds sooooo – gross!

• SuzicalSuzical Raw Newbie

TreeOfLife – One of my favorite drinks is a tablespoon each of powdered chlorella and spirulina in water. I drink it all of the time. I guess you either love it or you don’t. They make tablets too, so that you can get the nutrients and bypass the taste if it is not for you.

TreeOfLife Don’t judge a book by it’s cover. I drink it seven times a day in water. Have you every actually tried it? Do you know what it does to your body? I feel all the benefits. Something that was tested on 108 children that dramatically improved focus, attitude, and social behavior doesn’t have to taste good to be an amazing superfood. In fact, why don’t we switch this around a little? The food that tastes the best usually is the worst food on the planet for you. At least until you try the healthy stuff. Sure, there’s nothing like a good hearty salad or a big ripe juicy fruit, but there’s also nothing so refreshing and energizing as a big glass of sweet, crystal wild blue green algae from Klamath Lake.

Not trying to be harsh, but, I mean, algae would seem gross on the outside. But if you get really good quality algae, you’ll love it. I can’t live without it, and it’s by far the most powerful cleanser for me. Fruit is too.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Branwyn- where oh where is Ardesmond? He’s a fellow Atlantan and loves the blue-green algae! i’ll try to find that post for you. Gosh-way too many posts, but it was on the joys of lake Klamath Blue green Algea. There is a reference i know in Rainbow Green Live cuisine. Ardesmond has the website, i’m sure. you could look up his profile and check his posts from i think last April…ish.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

treeoflife, its prob just an individual taste thing as oposed to meaning its no good for you, or maybe it means its no good to that actual person that finds it distasteful. i cannot abide fresh cilantro, bok choy, and until recent years hated avocados and olives (love thos two with a passion now tho). I think durian is the perfect example, you either love it or you hate it, but theres no denying how good it is for you :)

if i know something is good for me but im not over keen on the taste i disguise it usually by mixing it with foods that cover the taste , goji berry is an example, i dont dislike them but the taste does nothing for me, so i put them in my smoothies or breakfast mixes etc because i want to keep eating them

as a collector of fish in my youth i have to say ewwww tho to the actual idea of what algea is, slimey green stuff hehehe

• I actually like the Klamath Lake blue-green algae as well, I think it has a very fresh, green taste. I have a glass every morning & I’ve found it helps with my energy levels & mental clarity. Even my SAD S.O. likes it, he says it reminds him of swimming in Lake Michigan when he was young. I buy E3Live – but I’ll check out Crystal Algae – thanks for the link!