Cutting corn?

blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

This might seem like a silly and very basic question, but what is your best advice on cutting corn to get the most of the kernals off an ear of corn??

I have seen all sorts of gadgets in the kitchen store, but doubt I need anything more then a good sharp chef’s knife. However, does anyone have any good tips for getting the most of the kernals off? For soup I don’t care and will cut 1/2 then cut down for the rest(it is all going in the blender anyways) but I would like to get better at cutting full kernals off to use in salads, salsas and such.

Comments

• emtpdmomemtpdmom Raw Newbie

If you don’t care about the aesthetic condition of each kernel, a mandolin is probably the most effective, cleanest and safest way to remove corn from the cob.

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

I just use a very sharp kitchen knife, but how and where you hold the corn cob might make a difference.
    I get a big bowl and hold the stalk of corn vertically inside the bowl (the bowl prevents the corn niblets from bouncing away).
    Then I slice downward from the wide end toward the narrow end ~ and I make sure that I put a good amount of pressure toward the center of the corn cob as I slice. (watch your fingers while you do this – obvious, but still important to be reminded of…)
    Before each consecutive downward cutting motion I rotate the corn and cut as I did previously until there is nothing left but the center of the cob.
    Generally I get really good sized whole pieces of corn in this manner.

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

Greenghost thanks, that is sort of advice I was looking for :) Simple yet effective is good!

• greenghostgreenghost Raw Newbie

:)
    bon appetit!

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

blueyz~ For your enjoyment, another “lively” conversation about the virtues of cutting corn is at vacuum sealers help please.

Happy corning. :)

• FeeFee Raw Master

It may be in the thread that Bluedolphin mentioned but I remember someone saying they had a nail nailed into a board and stuck the cob on that so it didnt move. I tend to start half way down and work my way round before turning it upside down to do the other half.