Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Cutting corn?

edited December 2010 in Food Preparation

This might seem like a silly and very basic question, but what is your best advice on cutting corn to get the most of the kernals off an ear of corn??

I have seen all sorts of gadgets in the kitchen store, but doubt I need anything more then a good sharp chef’s knife. However, does anyone have any good tips for getting the most of the kernals off? For soup I don’t care and will cut 1/2 then cut down for the rest(it is all going in the blender anyways) but I would like to get better at cutting full kernals off to use in salads, salsas and such.

Comments

• If you don’t care about the aesthetic condition of each kernel, a mandolin is probably the most effective, cleanest and safest way to remove corn from the cob.

• I just use a very sharp kitchen knife, but how and where you hold the corn cob might make a difference.

I get a big bowl and hold the stalk of corn vertically inside the bowl (the bowl prevents the corn niblets from bouncing away).

Then I slice downward from the wide end toward the narrow end ~ and I make sure that I put a good amount of pressure toward the center of the corn cob as I slice. (watch your fingers while you do this – obvious, but still important to be reminded of…)

Before each consecutive downward cutting motion I rotate the corn and cut as I did previously until there is nothing left but the center of the cob.

Generally I get really good sized whole pieces of corn in this manner.

• Greenghost thanks, that is sort of advice I was looking for :) Simple yet effective is good!

• :)

bon appetit!

• blueyz~ For your enjoyment, another “lively” conversation about the virtues of cutting corn is at vacuum sealers help please.

Happy corning. :)

• It may be in the thread that Bluedolphin mentioned but I remember someone saying they had a nail nailed into a board and stuck the cob on that so it didnt move. I tend to start half way down and work my way round before turning it upside down to do the other half.