Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

Bye bye 100% raw vegan

2»

Comments

• Wanna see evidence of toxins? Fast with enemas. I’ve dumped chemical solvents and ascaris round worms out of my body during fasting. Sorry to tell you this, if any one says toxins are not real, their just plain wrong. And one day it will be common knowledge, guaranteed.

• try to stay vegan! it’s ok to not be 100% raw. think of all the animals…

plus it is so easy to find sources of b12, protein, vit d, and everything else you are concerned about.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Still don’t buy it, durianrider, though i always enjoy the passion in your posts. I’ve seen Steve Pavlina’s meals and i don’t want to sit down to 12 clementines and 8 bananas when all i want is one beautiful avocado. I LOVE fruit, but I couldn’t overeat it if i tried. I love it in the morning and it’s all i want in my tum before a run-one pear, followed by a big green smoothie upon my return that has 3-4 more fruits in it. Come my next meal at 2-3p, I’m not even remotely thinking about fruit. Maybe i’ll transition there after another 2-3 years at this, but I’m not there yet. Whole fruits/veggies/nut/seeds-all yes. I’m no Ayurveda expert by any means, but I know when I need heavier and sometimes drier foods. After 10 days on 8.1.1, I just wanted a rice cake of all things! It’s too wet, all that fruit. All that time in the outback is drying you out!

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

ditto what izhpt said – i simply don’t buy that one diet is for everyone. nice try.

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

Thanks, Winona. Maybe some day I’ll move to the tropics, though I don’t much like running in the heat. BTW- I think Pittas love heat and love the fruitarian diet. There are many of you here. I don’t knock it, but I’ve read it (80-10-10), I’ve tried it and I want to eat the whole avocado.

• Hey uknicole! =] If you’re totally paranoid about deficiency, don’t worry. The only supplements I take are Vitamin D, as suggested by my doctor since I live in an area that doesn’t have a whole lot of sunlight to give (Seattle, WA). Otherwise, she says I’m the healthiest patient she has, and I’ve been Vegan for almost two years now, and about 50% raw, working my way up. It’s all about balance and nutrition. I’m sure you’ll find a balance soon that makes you happy and comfortable. Good luck on your journey! -Brandi

• uknicole: I’m with you. I think a lot of people who are hyper-focused on being 100% have control issues. Find your own balance. That’s what I do and I am darn happy ‘bout it!

• lzhptlzhpt Raw Newbie

durianrider-in a recent post, I posted my exercise. I am far from sedentary, I run 3 hours/week @ 9 min. miles, I spin 4 hours/week, I teach 2 hours of Pilates /week and do yoga 2-3 hours/week. I resistance stretch many of my clients, and do GYROTONIC several times/week. I’m exercising more than the Everready bunny! At 45, I think I’m doing OK. BTW- I think i was being sarcastic about the rice cake (it’s the equivalent of sandpaper). I’m always up for tweaking things, but if i begin to shove my dogma down the throats of people just looking into a raw lifestyle then I am not a good teacher. Pick on someone your own age.

• ‘yes i believe that 100% raw vegans are into control. instead of being out of control with thier eating and mindset. we control how we think and eat. id rather be in control than letting food corporations or my familys food addictions control what i eat! lol! ‘

I think some of the problems with some so called 100% raw vegans is that, they think by controlling what they eat, they can control other aspects of their lives, which is plainly not true , a lesson I have learnt in the hard way. I have not personally looked into the 80/10/10, and do not have intentions to do so. I guess if I want something salty, I will go for some seaweed instead of fruits. And like Izhpt I do not want to overdo on fruits!

Like Hippie Chick has written:Find your own balance. That’s what I do and I am darn happy ‘bout it! Thanks !

• Vitamin D can also be supplemented by tanning at a salon. If you're not getting enough where you live naturally, it's an option. And a little goes a long way.

I'm fairly new to 100% raw vegan. I had to go all the way to see for myself. I also have to go all the way strickly to break some of the habits. It was hard at first, and now it's much easier and tastier! But I've been educating myself so I make sure I do it properly.

I noticed I started getting a little agro with people who started bashing my choices when they CLEARLY needed to at least add a lot more raw to their diet. However, I had to remind myself that they're representing their own issues, not mine. I also realized that I was where they are, so how could I get agro over it?!

I do love animals. Something I found is I wasn't able to actually appreciate and accept what is done to the animals until I had cut flesh out of my diet. However, that is not to say I don't yearn for the taste of bacon or chicken or salmon every once in a while! So it's a mix for me. I haven't broken down and eaten them, and I don't think I will if I "cheat". I don't want to eat the fear (which becomes toxic) that courses through their bodies when they're in the slaughter houses or laying gasping on the docks being kept alive longer to have "fresh" fish. I don't want to be a cause for cows being constantly faced with indigestion for their last two months to be fattened up before slaughter after having been injected with steroids, hormones, and the other injections. If people want to eat meat, I would only encourage people to eat game meat killed with one shot and fish they caught and killed themselves. Even local farmers with healthy, well cared for cows have to go to the slaughter houses where they have the intense fear that then is cruel and toxic.

So that's my two cents. I understand where people are. I was there too. I just ask that people are conscious of their decisions, do the best they can, and have empathy -- for the animals and the other people.

Peace and love.

• Goneraw Forum BEEF.

We vegans need to become a little more militant towards these fools.

It's okay to kill a man as long as you know it is in a just cause.

:)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

UKNICOLE I doubt anyone on this planet is 100% at anything they try. Even though many see veganism and/or being raw as a religion rather than a dietary choice, it shouldn’t be.

My experience has been that the 100% raw food movement tends to be oppressive. Most of them don’t mean to be that way, but it is clear some revel in the opportunity to lord their purity over others. Preaching the necessity of 100% raw veganism, especially when done with a acerbic tone, certainly drives more people away than welcomes them in.

Raw veganism isn’t the only healthy diet choice out there and legitimate studies have shown it doesn’t work well for everyone. However, it has been repeatedly proven that increasing the number of raw fruits and vegetables in your diet brings a tremendous health benefit. I hope you will continue to do so.

Eating raw is a big drain when it comes to socializing. Where I live there are no raw restaurants and BBQ is king. I try to eat out at least twice a month with friends but don’t eat raw on those occasions although I do try to choose my healthiest options. Yesterday I had a wonderful salad and big helping of pasta fagioli. It was a great time with friends and I wouldn’t have wanted to miss out on that.

I am glad you have released yourself from the burden of feeling you had to be 100% raw. It isn’t right for everyone. Interestingly enough, when I finally said to hell with the concept I actually started eating very high raw after a few weeks and enjoyed it more.

As you can see from the majority of the posts here, most members are supportive of your decision and have probably stood in your shoes at one time or another. I wish you the best and hope you remain a GR member.

• joannabananajoannabanana Raw Newbie

uknicole, i thought your comments were very interesting and true.

i suffered from an eating disorder and the only reason i did was because i wanted to control my food in a world where i had no control. i realized that controlling my food only made me obsessed and it pushed away everyone in my life. i feel that it definitely affects relationships, work, and all other aspects of life because everything revolves around food.

i'm glad you are better now!! i am, too!!

• For most people, 100% raw may not be ideal, for many reasons. The most important thing to remember, however, is that the raw vegan diet, esp done right - with proper food combining, juicing, and not overeating - is a DETOX diet, and so often people starting out sometimes feel uncomfortable (cleansing reactions). It is ESSENTIAL, in my opinion, and those of other long term raw foodists/high raw foodists, that one must do regular colonics to keep the endogenous waste moving out. This will make the whole transition much more comfortable and the chance of succeeding at a high raw/all raw diet, more probable. Good luck!