Hello Beautiful!

It looks like you're new to The Community. If you'd like to get involved, click one of these buttons!

In this Discussion

toothpaste?

dodododo Raw Newbie

I wonder if anybody can tell me if there are any concerns over not using toothpaste? I stopped using it 2 months ago, i worry about chemicals being absorbed via means other than eating, via moisturisers, soaps, shampoos, toothpastes, airfreshners etc. I dont use any tobacoo products and dont drink coffee or use sugar other than found in fruit and agave. my tongue is lovely and pink and clean, my breath beautifully fresh, my gums lovely and pink and my tastebuds are in their element.

i get a bit neurotic over things with an endless list of ingrediants, and even the health shop toothpastes have a list you need an encyclopedia to decipher. im very happy with the results, i dont use conditoner etc either and i smell like skin, which is what we are suposed to smell like. i use shampoo about once a month just a splash, which i will be phasing out next.

as far as im aware im not doing my teeth any harm but if anyone knows differently please can you let me know

Comments

• WinonaWinona Raw Newbie

One thing to think about is … do we need to disinfect our teeth? Quite likely. I use dr. bronners. Put a couple drops of Dr. bronners into 1 Tbsp water, add a drop of lavender essential oil (optional, it’s good flavor) and dip your toothbrush in and brush your teeth. Be sure to floss too. Remake this solution 1-2 times a week, to prevent germs. I’d say – don’t risk it! You won’t see the results of bad dental care until a few years after the fact – and gingivitis, leading to periodontal disease, sticks around once it arrives.

One thing to think about… my coworker got gum disease because she had braces for a while and couldn’t brush well in those areas. In other words, it was like she wasn’t brushing for a couple years. She ate a low sugar, vegetarian diet too. She had surgery for bad gum disease.

from http://mayoclinic.com/ “Early-stage periodontal disease (gingivitis) is seldom painful and causes relatively minor signs, such as red, swollen and bleeding gums. But untreated gingivitis can progress to periodontitis, a serious infection that destroys the soft tissue and bone that support your teeth, and eventually may cause tooth loss.”

PREVENTION “Pay attention to the brushing action, not the type of toothpaste. Some toothpastes claim to remove plaque and tartar or to kill the bacteria that cause plaque. The truth is that all toothpastes, including natural ones without additives of any kind, remove plaque if you brush properly. And no product can remove tartar below your gumline, although anti-tartar or “tartar control” toothpastes can help prevent tartar from building up on your teeth. The bottom line? When used properly, inexpensive fluoride toothpastes remove plaque just as thoroughly as specialty toothpastes.”

• dodododo Raw Newbie

i just brush with warm water, and i floss, and i will still see my dentist every six months. everything in there is so lovely and clean now that i have to remind myself to brush them hehe

• TomsMomTomsMom Raw Newbie

dodo, I personally love the types of toothpaste I use, but I don’t think any paste is neccessary. Just brushing and rinsing should be okay. And remember to floss between your teeth.

Winona, I had braces in the early 70s and never got gum disease, not even a hint. I had those horrible metal bands around every tooth, also, not the modern glue-ons which are much easier to deal with. If your friend had gum disease, and was actually brushing and flossing well, something else got into the picture. How is she doing now? I was thinking a water-pik instrument might be helpful, using a myrrh tincture in the water for the gum problems.

Oops, sorry, dodo, I didn’t see your second post.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

hehe no probs tomsmom, a good thing is worth repeating :)

• MeditatingMeditating Raw Newbie

Gargling with dilated (preferably food-grade) hydrogen peroxide (H202) is good practice for gum health too as it helps keep bacteria at bay. As the 2nd oxygen molecule breaks off (bubbling) it moves additional material (food, plaque, bacteria) off of your teeth.

I have some I keep in a bottle with a few drops of peppermint and clove oil to gargle with regularly.

TomsMom – She certainly had gum disease due to not being able to brush around the braces. It wasn’t ‘something else’ – lack of brushing WILL cause periodontal disease. It affects you for life. She had to have another tooth pulled last week because of it. I wish you luck dodo, when gingivitis hits it will be too late.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

but i DO brush!!!!! thoroughly! :(

Winona, when you said she was brushing, I assumed she was actually making full contact on the tooth surface around the braces. I wasn’t trying to insinuate anything negative, just giving good advice based on my own experience with herbs, braces, and gum disease. Sorry.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

hey tomsmom, where would i find myrrh tincture?

Dodo, go to http://www.mountainroseherbs.com (my favorite place) OR any good herbal store you feel comfortable with, and you can either buy the prepared tincture or you can buy the plants, herbs and supplies and make it yourself for a LOT less money. (I make my own)

• dodododo Raw Newbie

thanks for that :) i make most stuff myself from the garden so ill certainly try to do that

• I resently started to use blue clay instead of toothpaste. It works great for me. Probably you can add some tinctures to it as well if you want.

• dodododo Raw Newbie

ah grashopper, i shall look into the blue clay, thank you for the tip

• dodo, I’ve been very happy with the Weleda toothpastes. There is absolutely no crap in it. My favorite is the one with salt, but they have plenty of others. I believe that both brushing and flossing are important. Good oral hygiene will save you lots of financial and physical pain later on!

I don’t understand. You’re willing to use blue clay but not dr. bronners? why don’t you want to use disinfectant?

didn’t mean to come off as ornery, tomsmom, i’m just worried for folks who think they can use avoid gum disease with water.

• ungratefulungrateful Raw Newbie

I’ve always used baking soda if I’m not using toothpaste. I was a teenager when I decided I didn’t like the taste of toothpaste and haven’t used mint flavor since.

JASON has an apricot flavor that I like a lot but I mostly use Baking Soda.

I tried plain water when fasting but it left my mouth feeling ooky and not clean.

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

I used to use baking soda some when I was a teenager. and everyone around me told me that was why I had bad teeth, that it was to harsh and takes the enamel off your teeth. So I have used toothpaste ever since and now see that it did not help at all.

so now I am using a tooth powder and sometimes baking soda with sea salt added

so i guess should I be careful about the baking soda or not. seems alot of people on here use it. I am so confused and need to keep what I have left!!

• dodododo Raw Newbie

thanks mon, ill look at the weleda, they sell it here in town, i just didnt realise there was a toothpaste in the range. i think part of it has been most toothpastes make me yak, the flavours are always so strong and the frothing doesnt help, is the weleda toothpaste a low foam toothpaste do you think?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

winona i shall look to see if i can get the doctor bronners in town too and maybe try that. thanks

• springleafspringleaf Raw Newbie

Dodo: I use kingfisher fluoride free mint and lemon toothpaste, it does have a list of ingredients on it but also a bit telling you where that ingrediaent comes from and why it is there. I have used it for about 10 years now and no problems at all, whenever I get a check uo I always get told I have good teeth. I have heard, as others have also said, that it is how you brush you teeth that matters the most. I think the recomendation is 2 or 3 minutes, gentle pressure, small circular motions and don’t forget to brush the tounge. Sounds like you have good teeth tho and as long as you have regular check ups and the dentist has no problems then why worry?

• dodododo Raw Newbie

thanks springleaf, thats kind of how i felt. i used to use kingfisher flouride free when i was in england but i cant find it here. i use and electric toothbrush, for the full 3 mins, it has a timer, and i make sure every side of every tooth is cleaned, i floss with a wide tape so its not so harsh on the gums, and i rinse with warm water. i hate the taste of baking powder, but do often utilise salt as a disinfectant, if i ever have a sore throat i garglewith salt water, and do salt water rinses when i have a cold too.

• Dodo, Weleda really doesn’t foam. It’s completely unlike traditional toothpaste, including the so called “healthy” ones like Tom’s and Jason’s (BTW, both of these contain lauryl sulfate).

• Winona I like clay because is absolutely natural and I can get it cheaply in my country. For anything else it is not as naturally natural and I would have to order it on web and pay for shipping which is expensive, and I do not like taste of soap.