Cheat Sheat?

Hey everyone -

I’m just tinkering around with the idea of going raw. I probably won’t delve into it full-throttle, but I definitely want to incorporate some elements into my diet as a starting point. You all have some ingenious and tasty-sounding recipes on here!

That said, I’m a bit overwhelmed by some of the ingredients I see listed. ACV? Sprouted Buckwheat? Oat Groats? And those are just the few that I can remember!

I guess I was just wondering which of these not-so normal ingredients are the “staples” of a raw diet, and where I can find them. Thanks in advance for your help!

Tara :)

Comments

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

They’re incredibly easy to find. And Welcome!

Oat groats, buckwheat, wheat, raw nuts etc can be found in the bulk section of your healthfood store. They definitely aren’t staples for me as I eat mostly fruit and greens. They’re great though and often good if you’re needing some starch.

ACV is just apple cider vinegar. You should be able to find that at your grocery store. Be careful not to buy one that says ‘apple flavored vinegar’ it’s crap. ha

Here’s a tasty dish I make when I have a sweet tooth.

Chop a mango up and put it in a bowl. Then combine a banana, peach and some honey(or agave(also found at a healthfood store) in the blender with a little bit of water. Pour ‘pudding’ over mango and enjoy! I call it mango peach pudding. It’s soooo good!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

I just want to add that for ACV, you probably need to go to the health food section of your grocery store. You want one that is raw, organic and alive! It tastes totally different from the cooked, super acidic ones. I actually own a book that I once bought on a whim by the Bragg family. It treats ACV as if it were a superfood. I’m not sure I’d go that far, but it does have health benefits, both internally and when used externally.

If you have other terms you need decoding, just fire away. I’m sure someone on these forums will always have the answer. :-)

• troublesjustabubbletroublesjustabubble Raw Newbie

oh thanks sweetpea, I forgot to mention that.

On a side note, ACV is great as a toner on your face or to help dry spots. Just apply with a cotton ball.

• ZoeZoe Raw Newbie

you’ll get used to the language. Sometimes I’m at the Potluck or one of classes, sitting and going on about Excaliburs, Champions, Flax Goo, Wheatberries and I see all these confused faces staring back at me. I think raw food has got alot of jargon. Maybe we should put a glossary of terms on here somewhere. What do you think?

• Blue_EyesBlue_Eyes Raw Master

Great idea Zoe! There is so much to learn and for someone new starting out that would be a great tool. I too had to learn what everyone was talking about and sometimes I still don’t get it.