Freezing

I’m new to the raw lifestyle and wondered if you could freeze food and still consider it raw? I want to make lasagna but can’t eat 8 servings myself so can I freeze a portion of it and then thaw it when I want to eat it.

Thanks!

Comments

• Well, I’m going to quote from Wikipedia’s Raw Food diet entry:

Freezing food is considered acceptable by most raw foodists. Many raw foodists preserve nuts and seeds in the freezer.

Then again, it’s Wikipedia, so take it with a grain of salt. Their article on Raw Food isn’t the greatest, with lots of passages like “Much of the research advocating raw food diets has been criticized as not meeting scientific standards. [citation needed]”!

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Freezing is just fine from the standpoint of food still being considered raw – many raw desserts are purposely frozen in order to keep their shape! You’ll probably find that some recipes freeze and thaw better than others in regards to taste, though. I suppose this is true of cooked food as well.

Do let us know how the lasagna recipe goes for you – I had the same thoughts when considering making the recipe. I was also thinking of making half the recipe, but it sure is a lot of work to do that :).

• humanimalhumanimal Raw Newbie

I’m primitive and I do not believe in freezing things. Plus I dont think zuchinni is gonna look and taste so good after you thaw it. Talking about freezing, its so hard to find wild food outside with this darn snowy weather! Now I know why the squirrels collect those acorns beafore winter comes. Not an acorn in sight :(

• kandacekandace Raw Newbie

Yeah, I don’t see zucchini making it well through the freezing process tasting great, either. With the lasagna recipe, perhaps try making a larger batch of the sauce and cheese and freezing part of those. Then, assemble the lasagna each time so that the main vegetables are fresh and delicious.

I also often freeze fruit when they are in peak season (and less expensive). Then, I’ll use them for smoothies or even in the cherry nut bars.