any shortcuts to "cooking" raw please

rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

I am transitioning to raw and having a very hard time finding the energy to constantly do chopping, blending, etc and it seems like even the simplest of meals is taking me a very long time due to prep.

does anyone have any shortcuts they use to prepare stuff before hand (I am not good with planning ;) ...

thanks for any help!

Comments

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

Well, for things like purees, creams, pastes, and doughs, you do need a food processor or blender. Most nut milks need a blender. Most cookies, breads, and dry snacks need a dehydrator, but if all your ingredients are dry you can just freeze the cookies, but it’s a lot easier to have a dehydrator. Chopping usually is done to make raw food prettier, but s far as taste is is usually irrelevant. Like, you could just break some carrots into a salad versus the grating or chopping. A salad you just rip apart some lettuce, sprinkle with dressing like the simple olive oil and red wine vinegar dressing, top with your favorite tidbits like chopped tomatoes (easy to chop), mushrooms, vegetables, etc.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

Two good tools. Food processor and a hand chopper. The other is a VERY sharp knife. Where you are new to uncooking it will take longer but after awhile it will come easier to you. It will benefit you if you do acquire the habit of planning. Lastly, remember we have been trained that everything should be fast. Enjoy this new lifestyle. Meaning don’t stress.

• rawforhealthrawforhealth Raw Newbie

thanks for suggestions!!! when using a blender or food processor…if you are making multiple things at a time…don’t you have to clean out both each time? my food processor is a big pain to clean, to say the least. How do you get around that? i guess there’s no way ;)

• blueyzblueyz Raw Newbie

If you are using the food processor for multiple things in the row, then make the less of the flavors that will last first. Then you can simply use it again, that little left from first dish won’t make a big deal. Or plan and make sure all the foods of the day have the same theme so whatever spices, etc you use can be carried over.

Start simple, the craxier you try to go the easier it is to be frustrated. OK, unless playing in the kitchen is your down relaxing time and in that case get s creative as you like. Best bet, follow what your body is craving. For me this week that has been a lot of salads(corn/tomato/pepper, guacomole) and easy blended soups. One cutting board, sharp knife and blender has been it!

• 1sweetpea1sweetpea Raw Newbie

The first few things I made when going raw were blender soups. I barely did any chopping at all. It was as simple as chopping vegetables and fruits in halves or quarters. As long as I had enough water in the blender to make it go, my blender (or food processor) did pretty much all the work. I’d smash a garlic clove to remove the papery skin, but chuck the clove in whole. I could make a blender soup in 5 minutes. That’s a heck of a lot faster than any meal that requires cooking and chopping ingredients to particular sizes so that they all cook in the same amount of time.

The other thing is, I make large quantities, especially of dishes that DO require some more involved prep work. If I make sprouted quinoa tabbouleh or cauliflower couscous, I make enough for 6 servings. The same is true for hummus and nut pates/cheezes that can be eaten with meals or as snacks.

Work WITH your partner. You said that he’s only capable of making simple cooked meals. With your supervision, I’m sure he can handle some chopping and tossing of items into your blender or food processor, as well as some of the grating and slicing. Demonstrate what’s involved in the thorough cleaning of your appliances, then have him take on dish duty whenever he’s home. If you streamline the process, eating raw can be much simpler than cooked, yet still be varied and interesting. There’s no raw police out there making sure you’re hacking into young coconuts with a cleaver, removing the tops, then carefully cutting the soft meat into delicate noodles. Some people really enjoy spending time in the kitchen. Many simply enjoy washing an apple and biting into it. A lot of both do a bit of both. I’d suggest you find your own happy medium. I know you’ve spoken of boredom and I honestly believe that you need to make at least a few “interesting” dishes to mix with the mono meals and basic salads, in order to keep your eyes as interested as your stomach.