Going on a cruise & staying raw

The cruise line is willing to totally accommodate me! YAY…but they want guidance and I’m just not sure what to do. I don’t want to be a total pain in the bootie, but I would like a nice meal at dinnertime (fresh fruit and salads are available 24/7). I thought about sending them here to this site, but then not all the recipes are 100% raw or necessaritly to my liking.

This is what I emailed them: “I called the 1-800 number for special meal accommodations and was told to email you specifically. I am a Raw Vegan. Have you heard of this? I can give you whatever info you need, but for the most part I eat fresh fruit/veggies, raw salads, nuts and seeds and the like. I’m not really expecting anything special, but a nice/interesting salad (or something complex, if it could be accommodated, but would understand if it could not) would be nice to have for dinner instead of the vegetarian option (therefore not eating/wasting the majority of the meal). I am assuming the rest of the day I’ll have access to fruit around the ship, so dinner really is my only concern. Also, what is the possibility of bring food aboard?

Thanks for any help you can give”

And their response: “I have gotten a confirmation that we will be able to accommodate your request. If you have certain foods that you would like to bring onboard I can see if the ship would be able to order it for you. Its up to you on what you would like to do. Let me know so I can further advise the ship.

Thank you and kind regards”

I’m thinking of giving them a bunch of recipes that don’t require a lot of special equipment or days worth of prep (like sprouting or dehydrating, etc.) but that are slightly gourmet or I just know I love, or are easy like kelp noodles with a raw sauce.

Any guidance, opinions, links to yummy recipes, etc, would be very welcome!

Comments

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

pixiechik~ That is great! A few suggestions:

• Forward them some specific recipes you like. You might give them twice as many as are needed with some additional notes for making salads, etc. Keeping them simple (using a blender, food processor, and knife… and you might “donate” to the kitchen a Julienne Peeler for making veggie noodles) is probably a good idea. Bring a copy of those recipes on board with you in case you need to give them an additional copy. Included recipes for appetizers (soups, finger foods), main dishes, and desserts so your meals will “look” like the rest of the table.
    • If you do want dehydrated stuff, do that before hand and give it to them when you board. Bring on board any special fruits or veggies. Mark them well with your cabin number, etc. Remember, not all kitchen staff members speak English.
    • Shazzie has a free little book that has recipes and information that is meant to be handed to a restaurant.
    • Oh, and follow-up, follow-up, follow-up during this whole process before you board.

Where are you cruising and what line are you using (they sound great!)? Bon Voyage. Have an awesome time!

• Wow. Thanks for the great tips. It’s Holland America and we are going to the Caribbean. They are being great about it! I’ll have to check out that book from Shazzie.

• I am getting ready to go to Mesa, Arizona tomorrow and I have already requested a copy of free little book. I will be spending a few days in a hotel w/restaurant. I wonder if they would be as accommodating as the ship line? As our raw food numbers grow the resaurant business may begin to provide a little more variety to thier menus. I have been to some nice ones that did provide fruit platters but is very rare.

• I printed out the book and now realize that that is exactly what the book is for. Way to go Shazzie and what a gift you are to us raw fooders.

• Update: Holland America was great. They made me very nice/fancy salads and soups that were totally yummy and raw. I had plenty to eat the whole trip and would recommend them to anyone who is thinking of going on a cruise. From what I hear, Carnival is not so accommodating.

• BluedolfinBluedolfin Raw Newbie

pixiechik~

What did you actually do to prepare for the cruise? What info did you give them, what did you need to do when you got on the cruise, etc?

Thankx in advance. Welcome home. Glad to hear things went well on the "floating trough". ;)

• RCBAliveRCBAlive Raw Newbie

Hey Pixichik, I too am interested in finding out the exact information you provided to Holland America. By the way, was the food they prepared for you organic?

I have never been on a cruise before and have been encouraged to do so by my mother. However, based on my dietary needs, I have not desired to take a cruise. If I could be assured of getting my dietary needs met, I would definitely be interested. However, I must say that I am a little concerned about being confined to a very small cabin (I am a bit claustrophobic) and the constant movement of the boat. I'd really appreciate your feedback Pixichik.