Freezing soaked nuts?

I’m kinda thinking the answer to this would be ‘no’, but I’m going to ask just in case…

I bought too many nuts for me to soak/dry (they were on sale) and eat within enough time that they won’t spoil, so I’m keeping them in the freezer and soaking/drying them a little at a time. I was curious, though: would I be able to soak/dry them and then store them in the fridge or freezer for a few months? or should I just keep the raw ones in there and bring out little bits at a time to soak? I’m thinking they probably wouldn’t freeze well, but I wanted to ask, just in case.

Oh yeah! One more thing… I recently heard (and only from 1 person, but it interested me) that you shouldn’t soak the really oily nuts (walnuts, brazil nuts, etc.) because their shells are so hard naturally that they don’t have the enzyme inhibitors so you don’t have to soak them. Is this true? I’ve never heard that before, so I’m still soaking mine (have a ‘batch’ in there now)!

Anyway, I was just curious… thanks for any tips!

Comments

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I dunno about the soaking and freezing never tried it but I know with walnuts and brazil nuts they only need to soak an hour or two versus 6-12 for most others. And mac nuts only 4 hrs (my fave) I also heard you do not need to soak pistachios but have yet to figure if this is true or not

Good luck on your food journey

• vegan2rawvegan2raw Raw Newbie

I dunno about the soaking and freezing never tried it but I know with walnuts and brazil nuts they only need to soak an hour or two versus 6-12 for most others. And mac nuts only 4 hrs (my fave) I also heard you do not need to soak pistachios but have yet to figure if this is true or not

Good luck on your food journey

• I would think that you could freeze them…. I know that store bought sprouted breads are frozen.

• beanybeeganbeanybeegan Raw Newbie

I soak and use right away, or soak then dry and freeze. When I buy broken nuts like walnuts or cashews I freeze them right way if I don’t have time to soak, dry and freeze.

• KhaasLadkiKhaasLadki Raw Newbie

vegan2raw, thanks for the info about soaking times… runs to go take walnuts out of soak water That’s nice to know. Thank you!

beany, thank you! I’m going to soak/dry all of my walnuts and freeze them – my family will be much happier that my dehydrator won’t be going a few times a week for that anymore :D. Do you think I could do my almonds that way, too?

Yay!

• RawKidChefRawKidChef Raw Newbie

I can’t fathom the fact that some nuts don’t need to be soaked. I’ve tried unsoaked pistachios and they are horribly indigestible. I also don’t believe macadamia nuts only need to be soaked 4 hours. They are the heaviest nut ad for me even 12 hours isn’t enough. I could just be sensitive but for me the heavier the nut the longer it needs to be soaked.